1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 13, 2019.

1. garnett

Soldato

You need to move on.

After all, Johnson, who is implicated in all of this, has reviewed what is seemingly inexcusable, and possibly criminal behaviour from Jenrick and "considers the matter closed"...

So that's alright then.

I understand the CPS are jumping on board, and expect massive cost savings from a new policy of not starting criminal proceedings in any prosecution until they've confirmed whether or not the suspect considers the matter closed.

2. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

The rumour that Boris doesn't really do leadership and isn't up to disciplining people seems to gain ever more credence. Still, as long as he's got Cummings to tell him what to do all will be well.

3. JRS

Capodecina

Oh, Cummings is in charge alright...

4. garnett

Soldato

I'm trying to imagine the sort of people who've been changing their minds over this...

... And what reason might cause them to switch back to supporting Johnson after this.

5. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Its the missing voters that are the problem. Those are the ones that arent happy about lockdown I think. Wont pick someone that wants to lock them away and would never vote Labour.

But I think they will be drawn in by.
    It will just be some cost cutting on needless projects like childrens education, social services and a lot of money to their mates invested in companies that will go bankrupt while delivering crap services. Paying minimum wages for their workers and pay massive dividends and bonuses to those at the top with some of it finding its way into the Tories coffers via donations.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

It seems Boris is doing the Bunker mentality and hunkering down with his yes men and sacking any dissenting voices. The idea of a SPAD over-ruling the civil service is worrying. It is almost like Hungary sacking independent judiciary and putting in their yes men instaed.

7. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Priti Patel backs Robert Jenrick over 'cash-for favours' scandal
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...robert-jenrick-over-cash-for-favours-scandal?

Remember kids, it's okay to be corrupt so long as you let us all know you've been corrupt. And when the grown ups say you've to stop talking about it, then stop talking about it.

8. StriderX

Caporegime

They're all corrupt, it's a literal house of cards and if one falls they all do. This is a scorched earth government.

9. mid_gen

Sgarrista

On the plus side, it's only a matter of time before one of these snakes sees their opportunity and sticks the knife in Boris's back. None of this cabinet behave like they care about anything other than their careers.

10. sigma

Suspended

I doubt it, the majority of them seem to chancers who are there because they say YES. So I doubt Cummings is going anywhere any time soon.

11. doodah

Capodecina

Gove, it's got to be Gove.

12. JRS

Capodecina

Sedwill is gone. But he's gotten a life peerage and a hand-written note from Dominic Cummings' BoJo-shaped hand puppet, so it's all good.

13. garnett

Soldato

I dismissed the Russia Report as a distraction - surely it can't contain anything that damning...

But to tear up centuries of precedent and put your own man in as National Security Adviser...

... This seems like another genie that can't be put back in that bottle. Allow that role to be party-political and it looks dangerous.

All those tough Daily Mail readers who were so easily made terrified of magic grandpa Corbyn... Imagine if he could select his own communist NSA.

14. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

According to the rolling news this morning BoZo Cummings wants a 'true believer' in Brexit as Cabinet Secretary. Politicising the Civil Service.

15. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Some interesting charts here:

[​IMG]

It seems to suggest that Tory MP's are trying to drag the country to the right, even though their voters are much more centrist.

16. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Another chart from the same source shows positioning on social issues. Tory MPs are closer to Labour voters on most of these than Labour MPs are. Interesting how both parties are disconnected from their voters in different ways.

17. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I think this has been woefully under-reported. This is one of the most shocking and harmful things that the government is doing. Political appointments to run these services are a terrible idea anyway but they're particularly dangerous in the British system since there is no scrutiny and no accountability for these appointments. The executive is shifting power away from Parliament - the democratic organ of UK politics - and towards themselves and then out into positions which have no formal means of scrutiny. This is extremely dangerous for the medium- to long- term health of UK democracy.

18. JRS

Capodecina

Yep. This has very serious implications.

19. arknor

Caporegime

what's all this "no return to austerity" nonsense the media are banging on about?

when did austerity end?? the council budget cuts were never reversed at all, what the hell is johnson talking about.. are we supposed to pretend we aren't currently in austerity for like 12 years and it's about to get a lot worse.
    and anytime I hear maybe chance ov VAT cuts I know like last time they will just double the vat anyway.

if they cut 2.5% they will just add on at least another 5% at some point.

I'm just waiting for the business bailouts and "trickle down economics" :rolleyes:

20. bobuk

Gangster

Our local council have to make another 10 million in savings due to reduced funding from Government, more lay offs and cuts, so austerity has ended, is there a new name for it now ?