UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Soldato
Really? People rejected one party that promised Brexit, and voted in another party that promised Brexit. This election wasn't about Brexit, it was about sticking with the Tories instead of risking it all on Labour.

Meanwhile, support for Remain is over 52% and has been for at least 18 months.

This vote is a clear mandate for Brexit, and there was no secret made of it. It was really, really clear what a vote for the Conservatives would entail. Look at the map in the OP, the English electorate own this result. If anyone continues to claim that the English want to remain in the EU then I'm really not sure how that can be backed up.

English?
OK... but what do the other three countries of the UK want, then?

The Scottish position has only strengthened for remain. Wales & NI I'm not so sure, but Wales have rejected the Tory version of Brexit and it's interesting that the a Westminster DUP leader lost his seat to Sinn Fein.

Soldato
Wales have rejected the Tory version of Brexit
But still seem to want a Brexit of some kind, given the large amount of red in their part of the map.

it's interesting that the a Westminster DUP leader lost his seat to Sinn Fein.
Not really. They were probably worried about the whole Backstop thing and I daresay both their and Scotland's responses are mostly just indicative of their uncertainty over what Brexit will mean for them.
I'm more concerned about how divisive the issue actually is for the supposedly 'United' Kingdom...

Associate
@String, I like the sentiment behind this thread but in all honesty it won't make a difference. Literally thousands of posts on here have tried to hold the Conservatives and brexiteers to account to no effect (as in, convincing the posters here that the Conservatives are doing a bad job).

In 2024 (likely 2025 for the next election) the Tories will be blaming the EU for how Brexit has gone, and still blaming Labour for domestic issues - this will be reinforced by the media and the general public will lap it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
But still seem to want a Brexit of some kind, given the large amount of red in their part of the map.

Yes, I couldn't argue with that. Maybe some Welsh people on the forum could contribute to the conversation?

Not really. They were probably worried about the whole Backstop thing and I daresay both their and Scotland's responses are mostly just indicative of their uncertainty over what Brexit will mean for them.
I'm more concerned about how divisive the issue actually is for the supposedly 'United' Kingdom...

Indeed. As a Scot who voted SNP last night and rejected independence in the 2014 referendum, it's also an interesting subject for me.

I must add, that this was a General Election and I'm also very interested in how the Tories actually govern the country over the next 5 years. Will it even be 5 years? I want to track if promises are kept.

I also want to track the predictions made by opposition, where they justified or just scare mongering? I'll get the time to list some of that, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
@String, I like the sentiment behind this thread but in all honesty it won't make a difference. Literally thousands of posts on here have tried to hold the Conservatives and brexiteers to account to no effect (as in, convincing the posters here that the Conservatives are doing a bad job).

In 2024 (likely 2025 for the next election) the Tories will be blaming the EU for how Brexit has gone, and still blaming Labour for domestic issues - this will be reinforced by the media and the general public will lap it up.
You missed Boris will come up with a new three word soundbite that sweeps all reason before it and has the working poor voting for the rich elite

Associate
You missed Boris will come up with a new three word soundbite that sweeps all reason before it and has the working poor voting for the rich elite

True, we've had "Take back control", "Brexit means Brexit" and "Get Brexit done". I'm willing to bet a fiver that it's "Finish the job".

Permabanned
I'll be pretty pleased if they did everything they said they'd do in their manifesto.

I'm more worried about the things that need fixing that need fixing but they've remained silent on and about the things they are going to do that weren't in their manifesto.

Personally, I'm gearing up to stand as a Labour candidate in 2024.

Caporegime
10. Full gigabit broadband by the end of their term (meaning 5 years).

^^This is not going to happen. I'm happy to make that bet with anyone.

e: In fact does *anyone* here think this has a bat's chance in hell of being delivered? I doubt anyone even believes this one.

e2: Industry analysts have said there's "no chance" of this happening either. Current govt plans rely on private firms to roll out FTTP voluntarily to 90% of UK homes. Analysts suggests that private firms have "no interest" in roughly 25% of all UK homes, as they are "not economically viable targets for FTTP".

It's a pie in the sky.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm approaching it all with an open mind. I actually doubted that they'd keep any of their promises worth keeping, but then I got to thinking, am I getting it wrong here? Am I operating in a bubble where I'm not giving them a fair chance? After all, they've picked up voters that were unthinkable for them previously. They now have a responsibility to those who have backed them so overwhelmingly.

If they follow up with what they've pledged to do, and it's what the majority of the UK want them to do [I'm assuming it is, given the nature of the election victory], then fair enough. Isn't that democracy?

Time will tell, the first big milestone is January 31st. Although, I'm really keen to ensure all the domestic pledges are not forgotten.

Soldato
I imagine overall most voters that never have gone Conservative did so for one reason and that was brexit. I imagine most don't expect any difference in care for them had they had a labour or Conservative mp. Conservative in their mind owe them brexit and not much else. That is what I imagine it'll come down to.

Would a voter that went Conservative for the first time in their life really be shocked if they get treated no differently, if they are "forgotten" about over the next 5 years? I doubt it. They know the craic they just wanted brexit done. They can go labour again in 5.5 years

Soldato
You've said previously that you voted to remain part of the UK, so I don't understand why there's this obsession with talking about what English people want and what Scottish people want, we're all UK citizens, that's what you voted for.

Soldato
e: In fact does *anyone* here think this has a bat's chance in hell of being delivered? I doubt anyone even believes this one.
Well, after four years of being told 1Gbps fibre is "coming soon" to my area, and two years of having fibre cable laid (with connection pot installed) right outside my house, but with absolutely no idea of when the ***** will actually make it available for purchase... I have finally been told it's all switched on and ready to order.
So yes, there is actually a chance, even if it's an exceedingly slim one...

Current govt plans rely on private firms to roll out FTTP voluntarily to 90% of UK homes. Analysts suggests that private firms have "no interest" in roughly 25% of all UK homes, as they are "not economically viable targets for FTTP".
So remove the voluntary element - Make it mandatory, include attractive profit incentives for effective delivery, apply penalties for shoddy and ineffective delivery, apply serious punishments for failure to deliver.
Pretty standard corporate Tory mentality, right?

Caporegime
I'm approaching it all with an open mind. I actually doubted that they'd keep any of their promises worth keeping, but then I got to thinking, am I getting it wrong here? Am I operating in a bubble where I'm not giving them a fair chance? After all, they've picked up voters that were unthinkable for them previously. They now have a responsibility to those who have backed them so overwhelmingly.

If they follow up with what they've pledged to do, and it's what the majority of the UK want them to do [I'm assuming it is, given the nature of the election victory], then fair enough. Isn't that democracy?

Time will tell, the first big milestone is January 31st. Although, I'm really keen to ensure all the domestic pledges are not forgotten.
Genuine question: is there any evidence that "One Nation Conservatism" exists, or has ever existed?

I don't believe it for a second. It'll be the same old Tories. They don't change.

And lastly - you don't think a big majority will make them even more arrogant and unrepentant?

Caporegime
So remove the voluntary element - Make it mandatory, include attractive profit incentives for effective delivery, apply penalties for shoddy and ineffective delivery, apply serious punishments for failure to deliver.
Pretty standard corporate Tory mentality, right?
Is it? I thought it was "let the market decide" and all that jazz. That you should never force private industry to do anything but act in their own best interests. *That's* the Tory way.

Caporegime
This also provides us with an opportunity to track and discuss the promises pledged and the progress made. Is this Government delivering for you?
  1. Brexit done by January 31st, 2020
  2. Complete EU withdrawal by the end of 2020
  3. 40 new hospitals
  4. 50,000 new nurses
  5. Reintroduce maintenance grants of between £5,000 and £8,000 a year for nursing students
  6. 20,000 new police officers
  7. No income tax, VAT or National Insurance rises
  8. The state pension will be increased by CPI measure of inflation, wage growth or 2.5% each year - whichever is the highest
  9. Introduce a points-based immigration system
  10. Full gigabit broadband by the end of their term.
  11. Take back control of our waters (fishing)
  12. End automatic early release from prison

How can we believe any promise from the Tories? If it's anything like their last few terms, they will break every commitment except 'more austerity to gut the NHS and other public services', and 'more tax cuts for the richest people.'

What happened to those 200,000 starter homes? How are they going to get Brexit done by the 31st of January 2020 when they've missed two deadlines in the past 3 years?

Caporegime
There is not a chance in hell that they achieve this. Not a chance. Would require billions spent and we don't have the engineers to do it in 10 years let alone 5.
They're not even going to meet their first target of 2035 according to industry sources. It's pure fantasy.

But like all the election pledges it doesn't matter how truthful or deliverable it is.