1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, 13 Dec 2019.

1. NickK

Capodecina

Actually the fact that you see Boris pushing this all and the other brexit champions have settled back into the shadows again is that Boris is in trouble, he’s been left to hang for all the mess by the Brexit champions like Farage and Mogg..

Winter is coming..

2. 413x

Capodecina

Do wonder how the massive shortfall in government funds is going to impact.

Is it going to be privatisation of NHS? - where we turn into America, can't afford it.. Die.
    Is it going to be increased taxes - grinding peoples individual spending and thus the economy further down in a death spiral.
    The effective end of the state pension? - so if you haven't got assets you just die.
    House price falls to bring cost of living down - but with such a limited supply doesn't seem likely soon.

I can't see any way to escape this decline. Not another party in power, not even reintegration into the EU. (but it would help). Costs are going up everywhere to pay for debt and global commodity (ie fuel). So this isn't really helping.

Wonder what the dwindling number of kids growing up today are gonna have to endure.

NI increase and significant Council tax increases is a sign government are out of options. Throw in utilities prices. Good Times are over.
    Already feeling the cut backs in my life coming. I think for the first time in my working career too.

3. Mr C

Wise Guy

What we need is a changed perspective with respect to government debt, taxation should rise, but not until after the economy has sufficiently recovered from the effects of the pandemic (short term).

The biggest problem i have with squaring this circle is Climate change is exponentially more expensive than anything modern governments have faced before (the costs of averting it or the cost of it happening). So changed perspectives are necessary, the longer it takes for politicians and economists to see this means the eventual change will be even sharper and more damaging than if we made preparations today.

Kate Raworth's Doughnut Economics, is probably the best way to explain what I'm getting at:

https://doughnuteconomics.org/about-doughnut-economics

4. Hagar

Capodecina

Forget coal, China's requirement for cement and steel eclipses the rest of the world put together. This demand creates the price increase on world markets. New cities being built annually. New land on the ocean, whatever savings we make here are tiny in comparison to the profligacy of China.
    Both cement and steel manufacture cause pollution as well as warming. They are frowned upon as neighbours. It is not surprising that the prices are rising rapidly in the construction industry and it is not only the UK who this affects.

5. chrcoluk

Sgarrista

Its an opinion if someone has a less wealthy background if it affects how competent they are.

People who are taking a pay cut to become a MP, may have better financial background but it can also mean they are completely detached from the realities that many face which leads to silly policies like SSP not been matched to wages, and AST's to house people.

Ex bankers to run the DWP e.g. not very qualified.

6. StriderX

Caporegime

China's city building is coming to an end, though cycling through the settlements they already have like Japan does will likely be their next policy if it's not already occurring.

Not that it matters much...

[​IMG]

There will be plenty of demand for quite some time unfortunately.

Not much we can do besides pushing for sustainable building materials.

7. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Had this sent to me

I think it will depend on how bad the next Autumn/Winter/Spring period becomes. If it is bad I think the Tory grey men will move on BoZo.

8. inogen

Soldato

Yeah, MPs should we well paid. However I think they should also face the harshest sanctions if found to be in any way corrupt or acting improperly. Proper prison. Proper stretches. Huge fines. far in excess of any other walk of life.

9. Greebo

Caporegime

Dont forget Govt announced that they are still pushing ahead this winter with their massively increased carbon tax on gas despite the massive increases people have already seen.

10. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

I heard about this policy. It is anout getting the price of gas up to the price of electricity. With the expansion of electric cars the demand for electricity will outstrip the supply in this country. We will need to import more electricity from France.

11. Tony Edwards

Soldato

They can't even accuse each other of lying at the moment despite the Tories being blatant lying ********.. I think what you propose is a long, long, long way away.

Watching the Blair Brown thing recently shows the difference between someone committed to a cause from the beginning and someone that just gets in to it and bulldozes their way through.

12. 413x

Capodecina

I actually agree with this. We can't just drop green initiatives when it gets difficult. That's just sweeping the problem under the rug to bite later.

13. Uther

Capodecina

A lot of people are going to be financially right on the edge with fuel costs already, this is likely to give them the final push over it.
    Green initiatives, fine, but some pragmatism wouldn't go amiss either in the current circumstances...

14. Greebo

Caporegime

I agree with it in principal but the whole purpose of it was to start increasing the price of gas slowly towards the price of electric. Gas has jumped massively already and is closer to the price of electric than what the original carbon tax was going to to do so why pile on the hurt now? Bring it in next year

15. alchal

Wise Guy

One can wish!

16. NickK

Capodecina

Analysis showed early last year that China was spending at a rate that could not be supported in the longer term by their GDP. This means that the eternal investments, building and even technology sectors as they try to move up the value chain and overtake the USA at the number one spot.

17. doodah

Capodecina

Ooof sounds like the Northern Powerhouse is about go out with a whimper, Red Wall Tory MPs are going to have some irate constituents.

18. Tefal

Capo Crimine

19. Tefal

Capo Crimine

You're both wildly optimistic if you think I'm living that long

20. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Tbf I came into the market a lot later.

.and yes not entirely serious but honestly how well off I personally am is more important than most of the fluff people argue about in poitics.

After all in the uk its all a bit silly how everything is so hyperbolic when we're arguing over a few fractions of % on most metrics where we're in the top 10 in the world.

It's a bit like sitting with a bunch of people complaining about the vintage of thier champagne