UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Soldato
There we go fixed it for you.
Brexit is the key compounding factor which has resulted in critical shortages only in Great Britain, it's like saying well all countries have to deal with fires but one country decided to completely disband their fire service and then you say that's just part of the problem.

Caporegime
So what you are saying is you want people who are less capable than doctors to be running the country, making decisions that impact the lives of everyone in the country including said doctors? You have to pay decent money to get decent people otherwise they simply won’t do it as they need to earn a living like the rest of us, unless of course you want a government even more rammed full of the independently wealthy aristocracy!

No, not at all. If they could actually prove their worth/capability then i would be all for them getting paid as well as a doctor. The sad fact is that most simply are not up to the task and are just simply good at talking the talk instead of having the mental capacity to do anything genuinely good for the country.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
No, not at all. If they could actually prove their worth/capability then i would be all for them getting paid as well as a doctor. The sad fact is that most simply are not up to the task and are just simply good at talking the talk instead of having the mental capacity to do anything genuinely good for the country.

There is a reason why argumentum ad populum is a fallacy outside every arena apart from politics.

Caporegime
Operation turn them against the GPs/NHS kicking into full force by the looks of it. And Javid says all in the name of transparency? A term I thought they were unaware of.

Edit - is this winter access fund new money? The cynic in me wonders if it's repurposed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just checked the EU performance with vaccines and as of the 10th, there are loads of EU countries who have vaccinated more.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/
It's bizarre, isn't it?

It really baffles me how we have come to a point in this country where supporters of this govt will argue till they're blue in the face that our Covid response is an evidenced benefit of Brexit...

G10 Countries in Europe and cumulative deaths per million (because, unless someone can tell me otherwise, that is the key metric that vaccinations feeds into and is solely aimed at improving):-

gakeYRI.png

Where on that graph is the Brexit dividend? Can any Brexiteer point that out?

Germany and Netherlands there at half the death count. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Operation turn them against the GPs/NHS kicking into full force by the looks of it. And Javid says all in the name of transparency? A term I thought they were unaware of.

Edit - is this winter access fund new money? The cynic in me wonders if it's repurposed.

No they have said it will come from existing nhs funding. GPs already get extra millions for winter. So far Govt havet said whether this £250m is on top of the normal extra they get or will just be the amount this year. I suspect the latter.

And you are right about an "attack". Savid has said GPs are "underperforming". Lots of GPs very unhappy. Also i am sure I heard underperforming GP practices wont get any of this extra money. Seems contrary to punish those who probably need the extra money the most?

And its a drop in the ocean. All it will do is increase locum pay to extreme levels and more GPs will leave their full time jobs to become locums. Zero extra doctors.

Soldato
I have a hernia, why do I know it's a hernia, because I looked at it. After two months I phoned the surgery and asked to see a doctor.
"Why do you nwe'd to see a doctor?".
"Suspected hernia".
"A doctor will call between two and four today."

Doctor. "Can your photograph the affected area".
Me. "I dont have a smart phone, I will take pictures and send them to you".
"Where is it"?
"Just above the groin".
"Be careful sending those pictures by email".

FFS, he is a doctor. To end a longish story, no one except me has looked at this "hernia" medically yet. I await a hospital appointment sometime this year next year.

They are all terribly frit and in hiding.

Soldato
In the last year I've had 2 back injuries, a leg injury and a suspected fracture (in a finger).

Each and every time I gave up trying to get hold of my local GP and just manned up and got on with things, I now have a slightly crooked finger and a slight limp.

Caporegime
5,000 new GPs by 2020 and 6,000 new GPs by 2024. We just need more faith.
it takes like 10 years to become a GP right? or when they say 5 year course of A. 3 year course of B, 2 year course of C.
you can cram a 5 year course into like 2 actual years? depending on how many hours per week you are doing it?
or is it really a full 10 year period of training
I think a lot of countries have a GP shortage so you can't just easily import them

Soldato
No they have said it will come from existing nhs funding. GPs already get extra millions for winter. So far Govt havet said whether this £250m is on top of the normal extra they get or will just be the amount this year. I suspect the latter.

And you are right about an "attack". Savid has said GPs are "underperforming". Lots of GPs very unhappy. Also i am sure I heard underperforming GP practices wont get any of this extra money. Seems contrary to punish those who probably need the extra money the most?

And its a drop in the ocean. All it will do is increase locum pay to extreme levels and more GPs will leave their full time jobs to become locums. Zero extra doctors.

Maybe have something to do with fewer GPs available as that Newsnight report showed two nights ago on BBC2. Tories doing their usual, shifting blame.

Associate
I have a hernia, why do I know it's a hernia, because I looked at it. After two months I phoned the surgery and asked to see a doctor.
"Why do you nwe'd to see a doctor?".
"Suspected hernia".
"A doctor will call between two and four today."

Doctor. "Can your photograph the affected area".
Me. "I dont have a smart phone, I will take pictures and send them to you".
"Where is it"?
"Just above the groin".
"Be careful sending those pictures by email".

FFS, he is a doctor. To end a longish story, no one except me has looked at this "hernia" medically yet. I await a hospital appointment sometime this year next year.

They are all terribly frit and in hiding.
I went to the GP pre covid for a suspected one between my belly button and my rib cage. GP said it was one, but they don't do anything for them unless they really have to any more.

Soldato
This idiocy from the government about GPs is all about denying Covid is happening (and making sure the public believe it) rather than increasing GP numbers and improving working conditions. Of course we don't want loads of people with respiratory viruses going to surgeries and sitting in waiting rooms in the middle of a pandemic, which is the natural effect of 'going back to normal' when dealing with ill people. All the doctors and other staff will be off with Covid.

My surgery triages people on the phone and you get a phone consultation, but if necessary you will be asked to come in and people are being asked to go in every day so it's not like people aren't being seen when necessary. This is the sensible way to do it. Also, the option of having more virtual appointments over video is a good one that should be retained in perpetuity for conditions that don't need thorough and close examination (if I've got a minor skin condition maybe I don't need to go in, for example). Surgeries and patients should be helped by the government to put this technology in place which will make things much more efficient.

Last edited:
Soldato
As is evident with everything that is happening now with regards to supply issues, while borders closed didn't have a direct impact on individuals at the time, it will have an impact further down the line as supply issues stack up causing all manner of issues, that issue is compounded further by the fact people have been essentially on an extended holiday for the past 18 months in many industries and have come to realise that working 70 hours a week sucks and they would rather spend more time at home with family. The current HGV driver crisis has been decades in the making with pay and work conditions getting worse by the year up until now when those frustrations have come full circle and have now started to bite us in the backside.

Blaming everything on the current government and/or brexit isn't going to solve anything, I see lots of people quick to blame, but no one offering solutions. Cancel brexit and sack the government isn't going to solve anything, that's just passing the buck to the next person.

Yeah its probably a best to keep voting the same government in power and hope for a different result.

All countries are having supply issues.

That is a lie none of them are having food shortages like we are.

Soldato
Perhaps they'll introduce easier requirements to become a GP streamlining?

Anyone who has successfully won a round of "Operation" will be qualified to be a GP; that kind of "streamlining?"

Not seen any food shortages yet, from pasta to french cheese, shelves are full.

Should see Edinburgh; its improved this last week but the 5 or 6 supermarkets near me have been all but out of fresh salad and veg for much of the last month; and thats a good mix of chains (ASDA, Aldi, Lidl & Tesco)

Soldato
Not seen any food shortages yet, from pasta to french cheese, shelves are full.
Yeah it depends on where you go and when, like the corner Coop shop is almost completely empty near me. Whereas the supermarkets have gaps but are not nearly as bad.

Or is everyone just making it up. Is that how it's going to be, while the empire crumbles everyone denies it and sticks there head in the sand.

Last edited: