1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, 13 Dec 2019.

1. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

The Tory voters refuse to embarrass themselves so take that into account. And I am a “natural Tory”. Thankfully i didn’t vote for this bunch of sub-standard middle managers, unfortunately those of us who actually contribute will be helping polish this turd until we get some electable talent. Until then, bah humbug.

2. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

I would, by the way, be fascinated to hear what the government has done well if there are any takers for that.

3. joey1211

Mobster

Gifted vast sums of public money to their donors / chums? They've aced that and it seems the public couldn't give two hoots.

4. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

Don't forget they have also been good at counting and listing all the professions we now have a shortages in

5. Uther

Capodecina

It's difficult isn't it, I'm naturally a Labour voter and we don't seem to have shortages where I am. At least I can honestly say I'm not Tory! :p

6. One More Solo

Capodecina

You can always spot someone drinking the Tory Kool-Aid when the word “frit” comes out.

7. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Wait you said you don't have a smart phone so will take pictures and we're annoyed he told you to be careful by email

We're you planning actual physical photographs???

If not smart phone or digital camera make no difference so seems weird to bring up your lack of a smart phone.

He probably was concerned you were going to go down the library and upload them from there and possibly leave photos of your parts on some computer. As you seem a bit "old" from that conversation

8. chrismscotland

Mobster

Struggling to be honest, you would think after almost two years that they would have done something well.

9. Hagar

Capodecina

I abridged the conversation to save typing. Methods of transmission were discussed, from my computer to his.
    I used a canon crossover camera as I find it takes better pictures than my Unconnected mobile. Horses for courses you know.

Yes hernias are a sign of getting old but may I say it, you sound rather young. :p

10. StarShock

Wise Guy

They have managed some very clear easy to understand voter messaging "If you think the government is rubbish and want a change, vote for us"
    Where as Labour have been using the much less clear and confusing "What? They are the government! This is insane! Why are people falling for it?!"

11. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Made three word slogans an art form?

12. Uther

Capodecina

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
  13. Freakbro

Capodecina

Ouch......! :o

14. One More Solo

Capodecina

I’m sure he’ll find a cushy non exec or consultancy role back in the U.K. with his proven track record.

15. Uther

Capodecina

They do tend to don't they, as well as holding on to their MP salary. Strange that utter failure is rewarded so highly.

16. NickK

Capodecina

“Job Creation” .. the majority of those by displacing the existing EU staff. Kind of akin to firing people because of their origins. Which is illegal (rightly).

17. doodah

Capodecina

Lead up to COP26 is going well. A number of key sponsors are saying the organisation is a bit shambolic. And Johnson is starting to announce some key initiatives for the UK, including what we're doing about boilers. There's a grant to help people move from gas boilers to heat pumps but this supposedly would address 0.4% of the UK's stock across >20 million households. Remember the solar panels and how that got cut? And the kicker? Johnson/government said it was up to the market to deal with it - which I am sure they absolutely will ;).

18. 413x

Capodecina

Yeah this house will need a new boiler in the near future. That grant isn't enough unfortunately when you look at the cost.

Unless gas prices keep going up

19. Greebo

Caporegime

Its a pathetic gesture that barely scratches the surface. I looked earlier this year to put a air heat exchange in and I stopped adding up when it got to £25k. A £5k grant doesn't encourage me at all. Plus my heating costs would be the same afterwards so all I would be doing would be reducing my carbon footprint. Ill wait until its compulsory thanks.

Plus if I fit one now, by the time it is compulsory it would probably need replacing/upgrading anyway.

Problem with that is that electric prices are also sky rocketing so the heat exchangers cost a fortune to run.

Fine if you have solar panels and battery storage and generate your own electric.

20. doodah

Capodecina

It was so obvious how this would play. We host the event and tell the world what to do to tackle the crisis, light on detail, not nearly enough money - whilst not leading by example and providing targets I would guarantee we will not meet.