1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, 13 Dec 2019.

1. efish

Mobster

I think it may be worse than at the start, moved slowly, but as it was a new unknown thing no political ideology or political investment.

Masks are now virtue-signaling etc. The one that struck me was the conference jib about people that 'woke from home'. Now got a political investment in using C19 as part of Bertie Boosters culture war strategy.

Political mutation into something more deadly, entrenched, and slow-moving.

The way Trump was booed by his fans for suggesting a vaccine. Unleashed the beast for political advantage and it's out of the cage and not under control. Take a more science-based approach danger of a rival stepping in and pressing the populist button, in your place. Far-right in France and Italy who have to maintain a more 'moderate right-wing immigrant skeptic voter along with the more red-bloodied populist are facing this issue now.

Bertie Booster, like Trump, may have unleashed the beast and it's now eating the furniture and potentially him if it's not fed a steady supply of red meat.

Science is out the window and political ideology/ necessity is dictating all moves, at the moment it seems.

A prisoner of his own nonsense.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2021
  2. Freakbro

Capodecina

Another round of spending from the magic money tree announced today about training, and how we need to improve everyone's skills so they can get higher pay in this new "high skill, high wage, high productivity* economy" they are building.

Which, as always, comes back to who is going to do the low skill, menial and not very appealing jobs that are still vital?

* He really does seem to be pushing the narrative that higher pay seems to just automatically create higher productivity.

3. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Well to be fair, ‘productivity’ as an economic measure is a roundabout measure of pay. It’s GDP/labour or population.

More pay translates into a higher GDP.

4. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

It is all spin. What they do counts for more. Voting down the 'fire and rehire' to get lower wages and conditions shows what they really want.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

You think there's a top down edict for Tory MPs to make a fuss about online civility or something....

I mean, how can you talk to MPs if that's considered abuse?!

6. Steampunk

Sgarrista

Tory uses the murder of an MP to avoid answering the question of his public statements versus his voting hypocrisy.

7. chrcoluk

Sgarrista

Tory spin, promoting higher wages that for many people are not realism so he can justify the current rampant inflation.

8. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

That is why they voted down the Bill to outlaw 'fire and rehire' at lower wages and conditions, to promote higher wages. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The only increase is the amount of spin and downright lies. Already heard on the news channels that the great budget increases are actually money that has already been given. The amount of new money is just over 10%. Shades of the 40 new hospitals again.

9. doodah

Capodecina

Wouldn't be a government budget without moving existing budgets and pretending it's new money.

10. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Interesting that the speaker has finally pulled them up for announcing virtually the entire budget (good bits only) to the press days before the commons statement, won’t stop them though will it!

11. doodah

Capodecina

One good move for every 5 bad ones he does by allowing such flagrant lies in Parliament.

12. doodah

Capodecina

How do you even breach rules that are already pretty flexible in letting you lobby?

He certainly doesn't subscribe to the school of taking responsibility, and to indirectly pin this to his wife's suicide........

13. StriderX

Caporegime

One of those constituencies that could probably benefit from Labour not standing, but oh well.

14. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The only time any party has come close to winning it, other than the Tories, was Labour in '97. Not sure how you think it would benefit from Labour not standing, tbh.

In any case, with Paterson getting over 60% it's all a bit irrelevant.

15. StriderX

Caporegime

Labour might have gained a decent vote at it's peak, but I can't see the sort of voter in this constituency ever getting past Labour's historical/contemporary PR problems with these voters.

I believe that the LibDems don't have this issue, though they do suffer from the image of not being a monolith like the other two they at least benefit from the image of being a party that focuses on a local area.

Maybe that will be proven wrong, but I can't imagine this seat ever changing hands so long as the vote is split.

16. jpaul

Capodecina

FOI request on his meetings https://fsa-catalogue2.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/foi2422.pdf
    if you were being paid 112 K a year I think you'd have self-interest ?

17. doodah

Capodecina

Out the goodness of his heart, that's what all lobbyists are in for.

Oh look, all it took was some **** being poured into the see in Essex and some drone footage of more **** being pumped into the sea in Hampshire for the government to begin a u-turn.

How many meltdowns on Twitter did we see, saying "it doesn't mean **** is being put into the water" for it now to be looked at again. Oh and when I say u-turn, with a hint of vapid wiggly words.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2021
  18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

There are certainly such constituencies, but the only time the Lib Dems have come 2nd in North Shropshire in the last 30 years was 2010. Ever other year Labour have beaten them. So I don't think that applies here.

The idea of a "split" vote against the Tories always seems dubious to me. Lib Dem and Green voters aren't Labour voters-in-absence, or vice-versa. In any case, the Tories have mostly won North Shropshire with absolute majorities so no amount of splitting or not would have made a difference.

19. mid_gen

Capodecina

I wouldn't underestimate the horror and revulsion among rural conservative communities at the prospect of affordable housing being built near them. Those sort of people will put up with anything as long as they can just ponce about on horses with their tweed-wearing mates without the riff-raff around.....start putting housing estates in their eyeline...

20. RobHu

Hitman

The sewage thing is infuriating. The gov is essentially saying that it would cost too much to fix/the costs would be passed down to the taxpayer, which strikes me as complete ********. I thought the point of privatising the water companies was because they would invest in our infrastructure to avoid these problems (haha, as if). If they aren't doing this to the degree required then why haven't they been re-nationalised? These companies are (in theory) heavily regulated so that they can only make X profit per year as far as I know - So why doesn't the gov force the issue by mandating that they can't take a profit at all while these breaches are happening? Or just give them an ultimatum: Fix the problems at your own cost, even if that means no profit for your shareholders for X years, or **** off.

*I get that the above is probably way over simplistic, but things like this really do **** me off, there's just no excuse for it.