UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Soldato
But that the point though, how can he say in good faith he believes in the labour mission if he just 2 years ago was full on team tory. It just doesn't wash with me and if I was labour I don't think I would select him at the next election.

What is more likely the reality is that he quite likes his £80k a year job and realised that if he wants to keep it, switching sides is the best for his political career. It's just a nonsense really.
You wouldn't vote for him and can't imagine others doing so, but he's done it to get elected again?

You seem confused about why you feel frustrated by it all.

Soldato
You wouldn't vote for him and can't imagine others doing so, but he's done it to get elected again?

You seem confused about why you feel frustrated by it all.

Im not confused at all, there is a difference between what I personally think should happen and what may happen in reality.

The MP is highly unlikely to get re-elected under a conservative ticket so took the opportunity to switch sides to labour in the hope he is actually re-elected. It’s an £80k job and comes with a certain status after all.

What I think should happen is Labour drop him at the next election because I believe they should be putting forward the best candidate that actually believes in their mission. The same applies to the Conservatives.

I personally can’t square the circle that is the concept that someone can stand on a conservative ticket under Borris Johnson’s leadership and then suddenly find themselves on the labour benches because they just realised the conservatives were not for them. The two parties are so fundamentally different at the moment. He ran for office, surly you’d realise what the two parties stood for before doing so…

To me, someone who switched sides to try and save their own political career is not the best candidate. While I get why Labour would welcome him with open arms at the moment, that politics after all, that doesn’t make him a good candidate for the next election.

Soldato
Well this has gone to a whole new level of seriousness.

shows the reality of politics unfortunately - I think the voter typically turns a blind eye for what they don’t know doesn’t hurt them.. parties will do anything to dictate.

If it’s acceptable for the party - it provides the model for unscrupulous employers and companies. Blackmailing your employees, Bullying and unlawful competitive practices..

Removing funding for non aligned members is no different to loosing the whip and the regular practice of lowering government support in the constituency has always been there for conservatives and labour governments. It’s not illegal.
Threatening release of materials to achieve the same effect is illegal.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Explosive comments from Tory MP William MP:

It is surely completely unacceptable for any Prime Minister to threaten to use the public purse in order to bully MPs into backing them as party leader.
Report to Dame Dick? What will she come up with next? We only investigate blackmailing committed before midday.

Another day, more resigning matter allegations. Surely one of these threatened MPs has a text, recording or email to back up these claims. But then will it matter? I'm so sick and tired of this egregious corruption and deceit from this government.

Stolen from Twitter but no doubt the timeline of what will come next...
1. There was no intimidation
2. I do not know that there was any intimidation
3. The intimidation I did or did not know about didn’t appear to be intimidation at the time
4. I did not know intimidation was against the rules

Man of Honour
Report to Dame Dick? What will she come up with next? We only investigate blackmailing committed before midday.

Another day, more resigning matter allegations. Surely one of these threatened MPs has a text, recording or email to back up these claims. But then will it matter? I'm so sick and tired of this egregious corruption and deceit from this government.

Stolen from Twitter but no doubt the timeline of what will come next...

I'll add #5:

1. There was no intimidation
2. I do not know that there was any intimidation
3. The intimidation I did or did not know about didn’t appear to be intimidation at the time
4. I did not know intimidation was against the rules
5. We have started an enquiry. It would be inappropriate to comment until the results are published.

Boris and the entire cabinet has to go. I would welcome a general election too.

This has to be the worst government ever, not just for actual actions but things they have tried

Still they get a free pass because they got Brexit done right.
I mean when your so riddled with xenophobia and brainwashing about how bad the Eu is you will excuse anything it seems.

I cannot imagine where we will be if this current bunch of morons continues to lead the country
As an actual Tory I am frankly devastated at what this lot are doing, they could make us unelectable for two generations*

* I have always said that the party that delivered Brexit would be unelectable for 1 generation, once it all plays out fully

Soldato
Still they get a free pass because they got Brexit done right.
I mean when your so riddled with xenophobia and brainwashing about how bad the Eu is you will excuse anything it seems.

I asked a work colleague what he thinks of it all, as he's a Tory and Brexiter etc.

"The left and their media lapdogs will get their way".

I've said this a few times now; the phobia that Jeremy Corbyn created in the English electorate is probably the most damaging influence I've seen in UK politics for probably my lifetime. Ultimately, it's facilitating all of this.

Soldato
I've said this a few times now; the phobia that Jeremy Corbyn created in the English electorate is probably the most damaging influence I've seen in UK politics for probably my lifetime. Ultimately, it's facilitating all of this.

Yep, I agree. It's reds under the bed. Proper agenda driven paranoia, proper McCarthyism. It's a rabbit hole as dangerous as the QAnon stuff because it's far more widespread and is perpetuated and fuelled by the mainstream UK media.

Here's a classic example from the last few days. The government deflecting criticism from it's press floated policies and at the same time further discrediting an easy target.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/migrant-channel-crossings-royal-navy-boris-johnson/

The Long-Range Acoustic Devices - which are used to disperse crowds in the United States - emit extremely loud, high-frequency noises that in some cases are so powerful they can cause people to vomit.
Two Border Force boats are already installed with the devices but are currently only used to relay voice commands.
But Downing Street policy experts called for them to be used to force people crossing the Channel to turn around, according to The Sun.

Oh no, it wasn't Patel or Home Office "experts", it was pantomime dame/villain Diane Abbot all along!!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-news-priti-patel-channel-migrants-sonic-boom

'Disgraceful!' Diane Abbott slapped down as 'sonic boom' asylum seeker claim unravels

It's proper post truth.

Caporegime
I asked a work colleague what he thinks of it all, as he's a Tory and Brexiter etc.

"The left and their media lapdogs will get their way".

Have to echo this as well, colleague exactly the same, ardent Tory supporter and Brexiteer, and is absolutely brain washed that no matter how bad it is under the Tories it would be infinitely worse under a labour government (said Corbyn before he left) but now it's just blanket Labour. It's madness, the press/government have played an absolute blinder on that one that's for sure.

Soldato
So blackmail now, another even more serious crime.

I'm sure if I threatened somebody to do what I say, or I will leak embarrassing stories to the press, then that would be a crime and I would be arrested.

Top Bottom