UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Soldato
The whole developed world is suffering inflation at similar levels. It is not solely a UK issue much as you would like it to be one.

Kier only has to run the party, Boris runs the country.

If you listen to the politicians, Sue Gray actually runs the country (their words not mine).

The economist has a nice piece on 2022 inflation rates: https://www.economist.com/the-world-ahead/2021/11/08/what-will-happen-to-inflation-in-2022 and it will be interesting to see how the Stockmarket evaluates it, for example: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4474473-2022-global-market-outlook-the-great-moderation

An interesting 2022 quality/price of living index is good too: rankings_by_country.jsp

Soldato
How to demonstrate you don’t understand the situation people face in as few words as possible.
I am being as simplistic as the Guardian report was on how the cost of a particular item had risen over 100% in ASDA. I have also stated that said item in Aldi where I purchase low cost pasta had not risen nearly as much, a few pence if that. It is fine cherry picking items and saying that in such and such a place the headline inflation for the poor is X but not mentioning that in Y it is less. Bad reporting IMO.
The cost increases are largely down to energy costs (fuel and heating), transport costs (drivers and fuel). Some companies are better than others in dealing with other costs which do include brexit however the import cost on said packet of low cost pasta are tiny when imported by the wagon load. Again Aldi are expanding like mad in the UK even with the huge impact brexit must be having on their bottom line. There are no food shortages on the shelves, food is still relatively cheap.
I have always said that price indexes are rubbish, Pensioners like me see a different rate of inflation to a twenty something in work so I agree that some sectors are worse that others, it is not rocket science and it is not new.

I have said that the UK is not a unique case, if people think that it is, it is down to them to prove that it is. Inflation is here for a good while primarily due to Covid for the whole of Europe, North America too.

Caporegime
I don't see what purpose saying that it's global issue is to the average person who is isolated from that information, they don't care about prices going up in France or the US, they care about their reducing disposable income and will without a fault blame the government for it.

Soldato
I am being as simplistic as the Guardian report was on how the cost of a particular item had risen over 100% in ASDA. I have also stated that said item in Aldi where I purchase low cost pasta had not risen nearly as much, a few pence if that. It is fine cherry picking items and saying that in such and such a place the headline inflation for the poor is X but not mentioning that in Y it is less. Bad reporting IMO.
The cost increases are largely down to energy costs (fuel and heating), transport costs (drivers and fuel). Some companies are better than others in dealing with other costs which do include brexit however the import cost on said packet of low cost pasta are tiny when imported by the wagon load. Again Aldi are expanding like mad in the UK even with the huge impact brexit must be having on their bottom line. There are no food shortages on the shelves, food is still relatively cheap.
I have always said that price indexes are rubbish, Pensioners like me see a different rate of inflation to a twenty something in work so I agree that some sectors are worse that others, it is not rocket science and it is not new.

I have said that the UK is not a unique case, if people think that it is, it is down to them to prove that it is. Inflation is here for a good while primarily due to Covid for the whole of Europe, North America too.

Just to level the playing field, if you’re asking for evidence then all of the above assertions require citations. The onus always seems to be on other people to prove things.

@Greebo also makes the most important point here. Even if you do accept that food inflation is a global issue, surely no one is daft enough to think Brexit will make the situation better for U.K. citizens?

Last edited:
Soldato
Aldi everyday spaghetti 500g at 20p. (The 70p argument).
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-everyday-essentials-spaghetti-500g/4088600233758

Causes of inflation in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/15/what-does-uk-soaring-inflation-rate-mean

Import costs have risen 600m to 2.2bn following Brexit. This was following an extremely low year of 2020 whereas it could be half that from 2018.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/13/brexit-trade-barriers-added-600m-in-costs-to-uk-importers-this-year#:~:text=Customs duties paid by UK,an analysis of HMRC data.

Not all goods are subject to tariffs and the rise in tariff is not a rise in price as the tariff is not the whole price. Assume a 10% tariff and a 42% rise worst case, your 20p pack of pasta goes up to 23p ish.

I am banging on about pasta because the quoted Guardian article highlights a huge rise in low cost pasta and equating it to all foodstuffs normally bought by the neediest in our society. I agree that costs are rising, I agree they hit the poorest harder. I agree that this was a sloppy article written badly as it does not cover even average prices of a basket of goods but mentions one retail outlet as an example.

@Greebo also said that 'all the cheap end stuff has doubled in price', without any citations and patently not proven.

Enough said.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read Jack’s initial Twitter thread on the increases in the basic value brands; it’s terrifying how much those have increased; I honestly fear for those on the breadline and the very poorest there’s no help coming from this government.
It wasn't entirely accurate when I checked a few items - peanut butter has only gone up hugely at the specific supermarket, at Tesco it's 85p, a much smaller increase from 65p than £1.50.

Caporegime
Well their new approach with UC sounds like it will go down well. In a bid to fill gaps in certain sectors, you will have your benefits cut sooner if you don't accept whatever role comes up after 4 weeks, cut down from 12 weeks. Must be desperate to fill in care home jobs.

It wasn't entirely accurate when I checked a few items - peanut butter has only gone up hugely at the specific supermarket, at Tesco it's 85p, a much smaller increase from 65p than £1.50.
My Morrisons own brand of chamomile tea has gone up from 60p to £1.29!!

I'm definitely feeling the pinch so the other day had to venture into Farmfoods for the first time in my life.

Was quite excited to find that some of the things I like, were so much cheaper than morrisons.

Soldato
Being unemployed around 2008 myself, I'll tell you now that being a dick towards the unemployed is not solely a Conservative trait. It's just more clear and obvious from the blue side.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well their new approach with UC sounds like it will go down well. In a bid to fill gaps in certain sectors, you will have your benefits cut sooner if you don't accept whatever role comes up after 4 weeks, cut down from 12 weeks. Must be desperate to fill in care home jobs.

It's a good idea, but suitable training needs to given as well.

Soldato
It's counter productive too. Like, people are so much less likely to stick with "any job" than with "the right job".

And you risk de-skilling people, who are forced to switch to something completely new and entry-level.

Caporegime
Well their new approach with UC sounds like it will go down well. In a bid to fill gaps in certain sectors, you will have your benefits cut sooner if you don't accept whatever role comes up after 4 weeks, cut down from 12 weeks.

I'm sure pushing more people into jobs that don't utilise their skills will do wonders for the UK's long term productivity issues.

Soldato
If you're super poor, you don't get much choice of which supermarket you shop at.
I fail to see why people would buy branded versions of rice and pasta at two or three times the price. Most supermarkets are equivalent in quality and service. Some are more rip off than others on pricing, they tend not to get my custom The two German incomers are generally very good in all aspects.

Not being able to cook puts many into food poverty.

Caporegime
You are saying that it is a UK problem without any clarification. IF the headline basket inflation is very similar in a number of western countries, why should there be a unique problem for pasta, bread and rice etc., in the UK. Personally, I still buy 500g of spaghetti pasta for 35p, rice about 70p, a large loaf of wholemeal bread has gone up 20p to £1.80, can be bought cheaper. I do not see 100% inflation in these comestibles when i shop.

I am not. I am only concerned about the UK as it affects me and the people who live here. It is you who has claimed its a worldwide problem, not just a UK one so the onus is on you to prove this. I may well be wrong but I have never seen any article about the issue in other countries so I am prepared to be educated.

And you may well be paying 35p for your spaghetti but that doesnt mean with was 17p a year ago.