UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Anyone that poor isn’t shopping at Tesco; hell I’m probably comfortably “middle class” and I think Tesco is expensive on most things

If you don't own a car (as a surprising number of households don't), then shopping choice is often dictated by what is close by to allow for carrying, rather than what is cheap...

Associate
How many millions of tax payers money is that going to cost in compensation now?

It's worrying when a democratic western European country denies it take phone's then turns out to be a blatant lie, with a secret program to avoid scrutiny (probably breaking the law along with it). Same situation with these push backs. Hostile policy continues in full. I was quite sickened by this one, taking several months getting the phone back only to find loved one's assumed you died and had started moving on with their lives.

V F

V F

Soldato
Anyone that poor isn’t shopping at Tesco; hell I’m probably comfortably “middle class” and I think Tesco is expensive on most things

The worst part is, Tesco aint the same quality as it was 10 years ago. I find it quite unreal seeing the amount of things in life how it has declined so far in the past 12 years. However, the prices are running away for what you get.

Last edited:
Commissario
If you don't own a car (as a surprising number of households don't), then shopping choice is often dictated by what is close by to allow for carrying, rather than what is cheap...
Yup

Or for people who are disabled they can be limited by things like the layout of a store, or how big it is.
One of the things that many people don't realise is how hostile some store layouts are for people with mobility problems, things like putting some of the most commonly bought basics (the stuff you buy a couple of times a week) at the far end of the store may be great to force people to walk past all the offers, booze, and seasonal tat, but can make it very hard for people with mobility problems to get their own shopping if they arrive by car (and the location of the stores are often such that you do have to go by car). My local tesco is a great example of this, it's a huge store and the milk is about as far from the entrance as it's possible to put it. The local Morrisons on the other hand has the milk and bread isles basically next to each other about half way through a store that is maybe half the size.

People tend to forget that just because there are "cheaper" places to get stuff, doesn't mean that it's possible for everyone to get to them, or get around them, and if you don't have a car you can end up either spending a lot more time shopping little and often (thus missing a lot of bulk deals), or relying on deliveries which can mean spending a lot in one go and a delivery charge whilst being at the mercy of the pickers*.

Oddly Aldi, at least in my town seem to have realised this, rather than a single huge store they started out with what was probably the smallest "supermarket" in the town on the far side to me, and recently opened a second similar sized store on the opposite side of the town** where there has been a lot of new builds housing put up, and it seems to have been specifically so they could increase the total store capacity whilst still keeping the "walk in" customers at the old site (they also enlarged the old store only a couple of years earlier).

*And in the case of my local tesco that means getting bread that is often a day before it's Best before, and more than once on it's best before/after it.

**I'm more or less in the middle of them, but the new one doesn't involve risking getting stuck in traffic for half an hour at school drop off/collection time (~5 minutes away if clear, 35 if busy).

Caporegime
The government too busy with Operation Big Dog to tackle cost of living crisis. Boris' narcissistic attempt to save his own skin is stopping them from governing:

The “paralysis” in Westminster caused by the Prime Minister’s rearguard action to keep his job and the delay in the publication of the Sue Gray report has led to “prioritisation” issues, a Government source has admitted

Treasury sources say talks on how to ease the cost-of-living crisis have been slower than expected because so much time is being taken up by questions over the leadership.​

"Treasury sources", huh.

Last edited:
Soldato
The government too busy with Operation Big Dog to tacking cost of living crisis. Boris' narcissistic attempt to save his own skin is stopping them from governing:

The “paralysis” in Westminster caused by the Prime Minister’s rearguard action to keep his job and the delay in the publication of the Sue Gray report has led to “prioritisation” issues, a Government source has admitted

Treasury sources say talks on how to ease the cost-of-living crisis have been slower than expected because so much time is being taken up by questions over the leadership.​

"Treasury sources", huh.

Lol treasury sources living in Downing Street and that had previously been thrown under a bus by boris in PMQ?

Soldato
Lol treasury sources living in Downing Street and that had previously been thrown under a bus by boris in PMQ?
There will only be one winner short term in a scrap between those two and it’s the one with the silly hair cut. Rishi isn’t ready to topple Boris yet, he needs enough unrest that some other ‘names’ will back him.

Worryingly the only thing I think will topple Boris now from this monumental mess is if the police hand him a fixed penalty. I really don’t see how he could survive that short of taking it to court and the distraction that would cause would probably finish him anyway.

Associate
There will only be one winner short term in a scrap between those two and it’s the one with the silly hair cut. Rishi isn’t ready to topple Boris yet, he needs enough unrest that some other ‘names’ will back him.

Worryingly the only thing I think will topple Boris now from this monumental mess is if the police hand him a fixed penalty. I really don’t see how he could survive that short of taking it to court and the distraction that would cause would probably finish him anyway.

But is Grey reports says there was a party, he knew about it, and he partied hard at it, then it becomes a matter that he LIED to the house not that he had party's

Soldato
Here’s a thought. Can the police issue fines retrospectively for something that’s no longer illegal?

I don’t believe they can.

on the flip side - people convicted and fined for what is nolonger illegal? Pardons and compensation?

Soldato
But is Grey reports says there was a party, he knew about it, and he partied hard at it, then it becomes a matter that he LIED to the house not that he had party's
The grey report will not condemn Boris she is clearly going to feed some civil service nobodies to the MET, and we all know he will simply ruffle his hair and say ‘I didn’t know it was a party’ even if someone else said he did as Grey isn’t allowed to draw conclusions just state facts as reported. So all he has to do is feed her the same guff he feeds us and that’s what she has to report unless anyone has written proof It will all be he said she said. This ‘independent’ investigation is a smoke screen with the MET feeding up another.

Soldato
It does happen, at least pardons. Personally I think those that were fined for covid breaches should get that overturned and the fines returned to them at least.

however the global pandemic and the hospital situation - plus the deaths - will not present that as a option. Not unless you want to be seen as pardoning intent to perform actions that lead to manslaughter..

Soldato
Wait what? People are being done for manslaughter? :cry:

the well that would be the PR.

the reality is that the reason for the rule was to reduce the number of hospital beds. Those beds subtract from the ability to treat heart attacks, or strokes, or accidients