1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Greebo

Caporegime

Yep ;) WW2 cost the uk £153bn adjusted for inflation.

2. SPG

Soldato

Credit where credit is the due, the new chancellor is very good have to say, Come's across as if actaully understands the subject matter.

Jarvid would have been disaster in the current situation actaully he is a disaster in any situation.

3. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

****!

4. Greebo

Caporegime

Agreed. Thank God Rishi is on there and not some incompetent person, who BJ owed a favour to for backing him, like most of the rest of the cabinet are. Imagine Pretti Patel in there now?

5. Greebo

Caporegime

Adjust for GDP and inflation though it more like £1.5 trillion.

6. efish

Wise Guy

Is that based on you're admirable optimistic time frame of a year?

The scientific model ( its a model its not real as their is a lot it can't predict i.e sudden medical advance/ virus is unknown so not predictable) is much longer. I would suspect if the government is running with the science the time frame used to calculate cost would be to triple the yearly figure.

Very rough estimate as will be a considerable decline in scale (its hoped).

7. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I thought that was a much improved performance from Boris Johnson at the press conference today. Far better clarity and tone. Less of his characteristic bluster and bamboozle approach. Good.

8. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Hasnt he just basicaly followed what most other EU countries did days ago? We are basicaly just following them.
    I fear you may be turning. he just still comes across like a fool to me. Im not sure if you could both him and Jenkins snigger when it was asked have you ever tried to keep kids away from each other when they are playing?

Its all just still slightly wooly advice at best. Its not really working if we take what happened at the weekend. Everyone just seems to be treating it like a long weekend. A time to go out to places.

Eidt: Okay I might step back a bit on Rishi. It really could have been much worse with one of the other Tory idiots.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. Murphy

Mobster

If Chris Grayling wasn't busy with that Russian report we could put him on the job. ;)

10. Freakbro

Capodecina

I'll agree about Rishi's performances so far but with a little caveat....it's not hard to appear confident when you have a completely unrestricted ability to announce whatever solution you think your willing audience wants to hear.

11. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

12. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I said "improved", I didn't say good.

13. efish

Wise Guy

No where near good enough then.

No room for error here. Virus is not hanging about waiting for Mr waffle to make up his mind or Dom and the boys to get the messaging right next week.

Government is not up to the task of effectively delivering a message that will get through (for whatever reason); switch to legislation and enforcement.
    As failure here costs lives if decisions are not taken now.

14. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Sunak has come across well...but I do take some objection to the gushing praise some are spouting about him...they make out like he's paying for all this out of his own pocket.

It's not his money, it's our money, it's not a freebie, we will pay for it.

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

I'd agree. Clearly there is a signficant section of society that just isn't listening.

However liberal you normally are, it's clear that this is far from a normal situation, and even normal liberalism stops individuals acting when that action puts others in danger.

17. efish

Wise Guy

Yes its well past normal politics. Despite my criticism I want Johnston to be successful. Its rather essential for all of us that he is successful.

He needs to seriously up his game and start acting like the leader we need to deal with this i.e. able to make the correct call decisively and at speed.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

If everyone isn't a liberal then I don't know what to say... The fact is that liberalism (in it's unadulterated form) is based in morality, the well-being of individuals is a basic foundation of being free. In a situation where just breathing on people could potentially kill them or through them others, such freedom is no longer in the interest of people's general well-being, and must be curtailed.

Unfortunately, most people just take liberalism to mean 'me, me, me' and shared responsibility seems to go out the window. There's a serious lack of education in the West on civics and morals, perhaps we should make philosophy a fundamental subject.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

A well informed critique of the arguments linked in the article as opposed to ad hominem attacks on the author... Oh.

20. garnett

Soldato

Another nail in the coffin of those attempts to revision and claim the early Downing Street "herd immunity" plan was a media misunderstanding...