UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Soldato
Here's the slightly more 1st world extravagant expensive way

People laughing about it, but it's a reality some may have to actually face because things are going to get worse before they get better
lol I look forward to the many A&E visits by people who have put a knife through their hand while trying to make that heater.

And those beans arent ready after being heated over a candle. You keep missing what you are describing. That is camping preppers stuff. I doubt if someone is going to be dividing those beans into multiple meals to put them in the freezer for later during the week.

You seem to be confusing heating up some beens with what you started with about making a massive amount of food that can be stored/frozen for later. What sort of meal will a candle do that for?

Soldato
You seem to be confusing heating up some beens with what you started with about making a massive amount of food that can be stored/frozen for later.
Where did I say anything about storing or freezing food for later or making a massive amount of food you must be confusing me with somebody else because I never said such a thing I've merely provided examples to disprove the BS that poor people cannot cook

Soldato
Where did I say anything about storing or freezing food for later or making a massive amount of food you must be confusing me with somebody else because I never said such a thing I've merely provided examples to disprove the BS that poor people cannot cook
Did you not go on about people not taking fresh food from food banks and making it last by freezing portion of it after making a large meal then? Oh no you are right that was Robocop.

Are you really still going on about fuel poverty being eradicated by scavenging wood and using candles?

Soldato
Not really, they're just bone questions, I take umbrage that you seem to be quite obtuse.

You're quite vocal about all this though. I'm interested to know why so emotionally invested? Are you involved in food banks or charity? Do you partake in charitable activities? I'm just trying to understand your position because of course it's easy to sit on a forum and post morally superior guff. Words vs actions, etc.
Bone questions? That's a new one on me, care to tell me what a bone question is.

Also just because you used a different word for it there's no excusing calling someone stupid so maybe you'd like to point out exactly what i said that gave you that impression, and while you're at it what gave you the impression that I'm in the slightest bit emotionally invested in 'this' (whatever you think this is). Because if you can't it's just further evidence that you can't control you emotions, much like children who often resort to name calling and saying things like 'no you are' (that's essentially what you've done in the above btw).
Still not worked out the difference between can not and should not i see.

Last edited:
Associate
That tealight cooker thing reminded me of a post on Twitter some time ago:

In fact, as far as i can tell Jack Monroe is pretty much at the front line when it comes to combatting food poverty and attempting to help people with managing to eat on minimal budgets. Her blog is actually quite informative and from a perspective of someone who actually went through a considerable episode of poverty.

Edit: An Excerpt from her most recent blog post: What’s The Difference Between Jack Monroe Suggesting Budget Recipes, And A Tory MP?

I write budget recipes. I have done for about 10 years now, publishing them for free on my online blog, and in books, several thousand of which have been given away free of charge to food banks. I do this because I was a food bank user, living in poverty, under the Cameron-Clegg-Osborne era of austerity Government. I found a way to cope with the mundanity and penury of my dismal day to day life, and I shared it, in case it could be helpful to anyone finding themselves in similar circumstances. I could have just done that, and probably been fairly wealthy by now, but unfortunately for me I don’t know how to keep my mouth shut and keep my personal brand palatable to the comfortable masses. But I find it unthinkable to simply offer up the canny ways to make a 45p bag of rice a bit less bland and ******, without also examining the reasons why people need them in the first place.

Early on in my career, I was advised to step away from political and social commentary, because I would ‘sell more books, be more palatable to the Waitrose set.’ I parted ways with that person pretty swiftly, because while I don’t doubt that my outspoken brand of visceral campaigning absolutely harms my book sales, I was a political writer, sitting in the public gallery of my local council meetings, blogging about the people who were making the decisions that disproportionately impacted me and my peers, like the closure of Sure Start centres, libraries, the demonisation of single mothers, the cuts to local funding, long before I ever wrote a list of basic ingredients down and scrawled together a recipe.

My food writing was an accident, dredged from desperation, paucity and despair. Tapped out on a Nokia E72 mobile phone, to the background harmonies of debt collectors banging on the door for the energy bill, and the mounting bank charges that rocketed into quadruple figures for a £6 missed bill. Sitting in a cold, uncarpeted flat, moving tin cans from the food bank around on the floor, chopping and changing a soup recipe.

I didn’t have a plan. Poverty is lonely, and isolating, monotonous and hopeless and grim, so I wrote about it because I’ve always written about things. Its how I process them, and anyway, nobody read my silly little blog so it didn’t matter. I documented the drudgery, the fear, the immobilising helplessness and depression, and I did it because I was planning to kill myself, and as niche and secret as it was, I wanted there to be some kind of record left of this excuse for a life when I was gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is the first step on a long and tricky road they didn’t put tax on cigarettes from 0 to £5 a pack over night and it took years to bring in smoking bans plain packaging and health warnings etc. What the government have done here is bottle the race before it’s even begun the big food companies will be rubbing there hands together and celebrating at least another twelve months of unrestricted selling of junk!

I agree entirely with regards to your points in other things they really should be doing but if they don’t start somewhere we will never get close to the end game!
Fair enough.

Soldato
Speaking of Multipack stuff, it should pretty much be scrapped all together and prices just lower.
3 for £10 on shampoo, or like £4 for 1.

Make it £3.33 so people can just buy what they need.
But that doesn't play into the psychological warfare that the big retailers and food companies are playing with you, the 3 for £10 offer makes people both buy and spend more than they otherwise would. These companies have no interest in altering these behaviours they have shown themselves incapable of self regulation and the government should act but no Boris and co bottled it no doubt in the face of intense lobbying and the passing of brown envelopes under the desk.

Caporegime
But that doesn't play into the psychological warfare that the big retailers and food companies are playing with you, the 3 for £10 offer makes people both buy and spend more than they otherwise would. These companies have no interest in altering these behaviours they have shown themselves incapable of self regulation and the government should act but no Boris and co bottled it no doubt in the face of intense lobbying and the passing of brown envelopes under the desk.

Oh it's shocking
You get the same with items of sauce where you spend less per volume/amount based on how much you spend which is also rotten.

Then you end up in a position with those whom have tight budgets end up spending more for less and ultimately running out quicker etc.

Tackling stuff like that would go a decent way to helping people budget.

Soldato
Can't read it as it's paywalled, but apparently the Telegraph article rather boasts about JRM's computer-less desk.

Frankly, his the **** is the Minister for Brexit Opportunities doing his ******* job without a computer? Is he simply ignoring emails, or someone having to print them out for him.

He will have his emails printed then hand write replies that his secretary will then type up and send, I have worked for at least two companies where senior executives did exactly this. I don't agree with this approach but do wish email wasn't so badly used by organisations I feel like I am continually drowning in emails at least 50% of which I have no need to see!

Soldato
Speaking of Multipack stuff, it should pretty much be scrapped all together and prices just lower.
3 for £10 on shampoo, or like £4 for 1.

Make it £3.33 so people can just buy what they need.
Agree on that for sure. Its got so extreme now that the prices for some single items are heavily marked up. This also tied in with the strategy of removing small items from the ordering website to try and make you buy more food than you need.

Soldato
Bone questions? That's a new one on me, care to tell me what a bone question is.

Also just because you used a different word for it there's no excusing calling someone stupid so maybe you'd like to point out exactly what i said that gave you that impression, and while you're at it what gave you the impression that I'm in the slightest bit emotionally invested in 'this' (whatever you think this is). Because if you can't it's just further evidence that you can't control you emotions, much like children who often resort to name calling and saying things like 'no you are' (that's essentially what you've done in the above btw).

Still not worked out the difference between can not and should not i see.
Who put 50p in you? :cry: