UK 'Is Worst Place To Live In Europe'

Man of Honour
Having looked at this in the past (and on my phone at the moment so not the best place to do extensive research) the thing to remember with a lot of those lists is that the top is dominated by small, rich countries. When you compare the likes of GDP per capita and healthcare its a lot easier to get higher in those lists if you are a small (potentially oil) rich nation. The UK and many other larger nations just can't compete in those rankings and its folly suggesting they should. On the other hand I agree, we should always strive to better ourselves and our country.

Not really France is number 1, Italy 2nd.

Also above us is
Spain, Japan, Greece.

So not all small, well of countries. There are some, the. Other Interesting thing is cost per capita. With France being one of the lowest.

Last edited:
Caporegime
10 places in this ranking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_Index

As I said we are the 8th largest economy so being in the 20s let alone high 20s isn't very good at all.

I agree that we aren't bad, but there are a lot of countries with better quality of life and with worse economies.

Looking at the criteria for that list one of them is the number of people that go to church or are in a trade union... So in essence biasing religious nations over more agnostic (and I'd argue enlightened) nations. Really? Especially as that one is either 0 or 1...

(I'm not arguing the results just that specific criteria, I'm sure there are better criteria for measuring community)

Man of Honour
Looking at the criteria for that list one of them is the number of people that go to church or are in a trade union... So in essence biasing religious nations over more agnostic (and I'd argue enlightened) nations. Really? Especially as that one is either 0 or 1...

(I'm not arguing the results just that specific criteria, I'm sure there are better criteria for measuring community)

It's a bit odd, but again one item does not win or lose.
Also it is not one list. There are plenty of lists and nearly all have us relatively low down to where we should be. All lists have slightly different criteria, but they all basically agree, for our money we aren't using it wisely.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not really France is number 1, Italy 2nd.

Also above us is
Spain, Japan, Greece.

So not all small, well of countries. There are some, the. Other tpinteresting thing is cost per capita. With France being one of the lowest.

And this leads us to the big problem with ranking this sort of thing, which list are you talking about?

For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita shows what I was talking about in that post. Norway is up there yes, with several other large nations above is however the top 20 is dominated with small European nations and small oil rich African and Asian states.

EDIT: You could argue places like Norway are small oil rich states, with a similar amount of hydrocarbon as the UK but a population 15 times smaller. Australia also has a much smaller population than us with a massive abundance of mineral resources. Again I'm not suggesting we are brilliant but these sort of things need to be taken into account when looking at these sorts of graphs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's GDP per capita, not health care or quality of life.

And seeing as France is a couple of places brow us in GDP per capita. Yet maxing health service and usually falls half way between us and first place in quality of life. It again shows how poor we do with our funds.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a bit odd, but again one item does not win or lose.
Also it is not one list. There are plenty of lists and nearly all have us relatively low down to where we should be. All lists have slightly different criteria, but they all basically agree, for our money we aren't using it wisely.

I agree totally there. There is too much waste in this country. The other problem is we are massively overpopulated for our land mass, that really hamstrings us in things like HDIs, we are crowded on top of each other, working with little space to improve our infrastructure and living standards. You work(ed) in rail maintenance don't you? How much extra do you think it costs (for example) to add capacity to our existing rail network rather than just building new rails like other nations do? I'm guessing a lot more?

So in essence I kinda agree with the resident anti immigration/racist posters on this forum. Immigration is major problem in this country, however I don't agree with the reasoning. I couldn't give a **** who lives here as long as. They abide by the laws of our nation, I do dislike the increase in population though (but then maybe we should be chucking out the "chavs" and letting more hard working migrants in to the country :p).

Soldato
A serious rofl at the people claiming that other nationalities come here to visit our 'culture'. They're not coming no visit to see the sights, they're coming for the free houses, handout and a lack of immigration control. It's coming out of our pockets yet the majority of the people here teem more than happy to help out our thieving, gypsy friends who breed like rabbits and get involved in God know what criminal activity.

Before you cry that white people do it too, check what % of people are white who commit crimes as opposed to any other minority. These people come from ****hole countries and don't know what an honest day's work is.

Man of Honour
Still work there, not maintenance anymore though. But it costs a lot and hampers us in things like speed, due to curves.

Population density should help us though. Less cost for many many services as they aren't spread out over thousands of miles with few people to service.
I don't agree we are overcrowded and I don't think it should be a hindrance in such surveys as we aren't packed in like sardines, far from it. It should IMO balance out. Small area to cover, increase costs in some areas, lowers it in others.

Soldato
If you bothered to read the article, it's not whole of Europe is 10 countries. They will all differ slightly depending on criteria used. However what near all tables show, is we are well down the list for a) GDP and b) Tax paid

I did read the article, I wasn't referring to it. I was referring to the claim that the UK has the lowest HDI in Europe, which is clearly not the case.

Personally I think that having expensive cigarettes is a good thing, rather than a downer on the quality of life. It (generally) means that less people smoke and makes my health better from less second-hand smoke :p

Caporegime
The terrible weather in this country has a large negative impact on quality of life for many people so I think it is a valid metric. High prices for products results in ridiculous amounts of alcohol and cigarette smuggling from other European countries, costing loads of money to police and inconveniencing many travelling to the UK. For our economy our position in the HDI table is poor.

Soldato
And we get paid more to buy them :

"despite the average household annual net income being £7,000 below that of the UK."

That's only because in other European countries, specially countries like Spain and France, the woman will not work, in England almost every couple has 2 people earning wages or the child benefits of a woman is just as much as a salary any way, so okay, you and your wife combined might earn 7k more then a French or Spanish men by himself, congrats, at least his wife doesn't have to work. The whole UK salaries thing is really overrated, if you look at executives from places like Spain, Germany, France, heck even Portugal they all earn more or the same as English ones while the cost of living being nearly half of what it is here.

Soldato
Give it another 6 months..pretty sure the quality of living disappears when the Euro sinks.

TBH all of these studies are based on loose facts and methods of working out standardised living, wouldn't listen or read any of them.

Back
Top Bottom