1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK made cars or parts made in UK?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Richeh, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Simon

Capodecina

None of them are SUVs

2. Richeh

Mobster

Just thought I would update the thread with a conclusion. Turns out the Jaguar E-Pace engine is made in the UK and that was good enough for my uncle so my mum has ordered a Jaguar E-Pace HSE with a bunch of options, sunroof, adaptive dynamics, matrix LED headlights after a test drive. I know as i'm sure most here do that a nicer car could of been had going German but it wasn't on the cards and end of the day the car itself is free for my mum just the insurance/tax and petrol to pay. I certainly think it looks nice and the interior, whilst maybe not as nice as some of the German manufacturers is a huge step up from her Daihatsu Kiri :p we did originally go for a much lower specced model but my uncle was again quite insistent she got 'top of the range' but didn't go for the R-Dynamic as there were no features but external ones that seemed of any benefit. It is the Caesium Blue with Oyster/Lunar interior.

Only issue I had was she went with the lowest power petrol engine at 200hp but considering she is coming from a sub 100hp engine I think she will be fine as she is a very safe and cautious driver.

She's incredibly nervous about it as she's so used to her Daihatsu but after a week I know she will be fine. Car expected mid-end of June.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

3. vanpeebles

Soldato

Sounds great! My car history is a mix of British and Daihatsus too :D

4. Dis86

Capodecina

That classic combo :p

5. vanpeebles

Soldato

:cool: :D

6. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Good choice.

7. Nasher

Capodecina

Daihatsu parts to repair the British cars :p

8. PooKer

Hitman

9. sovietspybob

Wise Guy

That first link is really interesting, probably explains why my Avensis is noticeably lower quality than the previous Toyotas i've owned/had experience with :(

I love the idea of supporting the UK economy by buying British but it always seems they're of inferior quality compared to ones built elsewhere, speaking of the Japanese brands anyway.

10. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

Even if you buy a UK built car the money still belongs in the country that the manufacturer resides.
    for example I have ties to bentley Motors in my line of work, they are owned by VW which is obviously a German company
    Nissan build cars in UK but they are Japanese
    same for Toyota
    BMW, German owned.

etc etc.

so the money is really supporting a non-UK business in reality.
    Very few car parts are made in Uk now because as a country we are too expensive to use for manufacturing.
    Our labour costs price us out of the market.

11. sanaxe1

Soldato

What i don't understand is if Brexit affected his business then why would he want to support British companies when it was the British people that created the mess which is brexit?

12. Nasher

Capodecina

We do still make a lot of parts, especially for aftermarket and racing stuff. Really high quality parts too.

But you get what you pay for I suppose and they aren't cheap.

13. Diddums

Capodecina

Get him to cave on his brand-new aspect and tell her to get a TVR Tuscan. It's the only sensible thing to do tbh.

14. Diddums

Capodecina

Whoa, you had to ignore some pretty self-explanatory ideas to get to that one!

15. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

I am coming at this from a logistics point of view, I know where the bulk of the parts are made (for uk assembled cars) and over the last 5 years there has been a significant shift to Eastern Europe and Germany, alongside a significant drop in parts being collected from the UK.

16. sanaxe1

Soldato

Sorry can you explain what you mean?

17. Diddums

Capodecina

Come on, can you really not see why someone who's business suffered as a direct result of Brexit might want to support other British companies which have quite likely suffered similar?

18. Six6siX

Mobster

This might be one of the oddest stipulations on a car purchase I've ever heard.

19. ubersonic

Capodecina

It's a good question, I would assume it's because he want's to help the UK companies/workers who got screwed over by the Brexiteers, OP can prob confirm/deny.

It doesn't sound like he's planning to wait two years to complete the purchase :p

20. PooKer

Hitman

I was going on the ground that if the business is pulling out then it might be blacklisted as well. All those British people who'll have no jobs etc come the plant closure.