1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Muslim population 'rising 10 times faster than rest of society'

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by scorza, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Neodite

Mobster

I remember doing it every year at school, and it was a differant "theme" each year, the one that sticks out was a "spaceman" theme :confused:

come to think of it maybe scraping nativity every year is a good thing haha. But it should be done so say every time a child is in year x that year does the play. It should never be scraped completly

2. Briton

Wise Guy

You could have stopped at 'stage'.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. RDM

Capodecina

Why not? What if the majority of people end up being non believers? Why pander to one imported middle eastern religion whilst vehemantly railing against another? If the majority of pupils at a school are not Christian what is the point of doing a Christian play?

4. fishwad

Associate

It's not doing the plays or not doing the plays that I have the issue with to be honest, although I think it would be a massive shame if they were to be stopped because some people didn't feel the same amount of pride when they see their kids up on stage as others do.

It's the reason for stopping it. I don't agree that even the papers such as they are would be able to turn, 'boring nativity banned' into 'nativity banned by muslim pressure' to be honest. If you want to debunk the argument, find a statement from the school saying they stopped because it was 'boring' or something.

5. Briton

Wise Guy

Nobody is suggesting that children's plays be stopped. Should be more of them.

6. fishwad

Associate

Perhaps we are going a little off topic, my first entry in this thread was simply to illustrate how britain is being pressured into (mostly unwanted) change by the increasing muslim population. If you disagree with the fact that this particular play was stopped because of said pressure than find facts to the contrary.

7. RDM

Capodecina

But plays are still going to be done. I am still going to get the chance to see my daughter shine (or not) on stage, she just may not be doing a religious play (though probably she will as she is going to an RC school).

You would be hard pressed to actually find any real "nativity banned by muslim pressure" stories. Most of them seem to be the usual sources giving out vague statements.

That aside, why should a school put on a nativity if the vast majority of it's students are non Christian? Be that muslim, secular or whatever?

8. RDM

Capodecina

I would give it a go if you had actually posted a link saying a school had been pressured into stopping the nativity by muslims. However you didn't actually provide a link or name to the school in question so it is a bit hard to respond to... :D

9. fishwad

Associate

10. RDM

Capodecina

What post? I am struggling to find it.

11. Gaidin109

Mobster

Back to the OP, if the Muslim population is rising ten times faster than other religions and cultures in this country, then why do we not have a Baby Race, a bit like the Space Race or Arms Race, but with babies, lots of little Christian babies to make sure the Muslim babies stay a minority. We could import Christians from abroad, take a leaf out of the Israeli book, Import members of our religion in huge numbers until they are the majority.;)

(For those of you who would take this seriously, Don't.)

12. Gaidin109

Mobster

Regarding the niqab, In Turkey, a muslim country Islamic-style headscarves in schools, universities and government offices are banned, so it doesnt seem so anti-muslim after all imo

13. scorza

Caporegime

Turkey is a secular state (for now), though I take your point.

14. Gaidin109

Mobster

Secular in the same way as we are, their nominal state religion is Islam, as ours is Christianity. Thus it seems to me that Muslims can't accuse us or France of being anti-muslim with any conviction.

15. scorza

Caporegime

I would say they're the opposite of us. We're officially a Christian country with a secular population while Turkey is a secular country with a Muslim population.

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

NM, wrong quote

17. Gaidin109

Mobster

We are officially a Constitional Monachy and Parlimentary Democracy, officially we are secular, Christianity plays no part in current legislation. This is no different from Turkey which is a constitutional republic where Islam plays no part in it's legislation. The state and church are separate so they are both Secular.

18. Dolph

Man of Honour

We have a state religion, the head of state is also head of the religion. We are not a secular country. The bishops that still sit in the house of lords are another example, although they rarely vote.

19. Gaidin109

Mobster

After some further investigation I conceed the point of our secularity to Scorza and Dolph. Having said that, the country most under fire from Muslim groups is France, which is secular like Turkey.

20. 86JR

PermaBanned

If we are taking a leaf out of the Israeli book, you could go one step further and just kill all the muslims over a peice of land as the excuse.