UK/US relationship

Associate
How come, when a the US wants to extradite a Briton to America to defend an alleged incident, such as fraud, it happens. However, when the UK asks for an American to come to the UK to help with a military inquest (not even a trial & they are not under arrest/bail), that is refused?

Caporegime
Samtheman1k said:
How come, when a the US wants to extradite a Briton to America to defend an alleged incident, such as fraud, it happens. However, when the UK asks for an American to come to the UK to help with a military inquest (not even a trial & they are not under arrest/bail), that is refused?

Irish-American lobby blocked the bill that would have let us extradite suspects from the US in the same way that they can extradite from us, because basically they were scared we might extradite a brave, roguish, IRA baby-killer. Agree it sucks and we should repeal it ASAP.

I'm not sure that that bill would have covered extraditing military personnel though - thats a whole different can of worms.

Permabanned
Samtheman1k said:
Because we have a pathetically one-sided relationship with the US. When they say jump, we ask how high. When we say jump, they say **** off :)

Soldato
dirtydog said:

I don't blame the Americans from adopting that attitude either, I just think we should do the same. I don't buy that we 'need' the Americans so bend over backwards for them to keep them chummy. The French don't need them, the Germans don't, so why on earth do we?

Permabanned
Murf said:
I don't blame the Americans from adopting that attitude either, I just think we should do the same. I don't buy that we 'need' the Americans so bend over backwards for them to keep them chummy. The French don't need them, the Germans don't, so why on earth do we?
I agree totally. I don't so much blame the US as I blame our own gutless governments (of both parties) for accepting such a snivelling, subservient position for this country. It is really quite humiliating for this once great country to be in such a place.

Associate
In a nutshell:

bush-blair.jpg

Man of Honour
eXor said:
The US is a superpower. Britain is not.
No, the UK is a superpower, the US are a hyperpower. :)

The real reason is that their government try very hard indeed to protect their citizens whereas as ours hold us all in contempt and can't be bothered to negotiate in our favour.

Last edited:
Suspended
superpower rofl makes me laugh how this 'superpower' could be wiped of the map in an instant by a crappypower (russia) and its arsenal of ICBMs. We cannot defend against.

Man of Honour
Squark said:
^ Those are some dumb people

Is there a world outside of the USA?
In all fairness they did get one question right:

Q: "Who is Tony Blair?"
A: "An actor."

We have a winner!

:p

Associate
Some of the comments on that video are just as good

Idiot American YouTube commenter said:
Because it wouldn't have made a good story. Be real Europe, you do the exact **** you blame america for. And I'm pretty sure there isn't too many people in britian who can tell me what a mosque is.

Idiot American YouTube commenter said:
Oh come on, this is cherry picking to the extreme. One guy just jumped the boarder. If it weren't for the good old USofA, the UK would still be singing 'Dutchland, Duchland'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom