Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
896c10be8eca03798cb2a38858187b2cfa36c02d614f1162e736093a54450f0e.jpg

Caporegime
Also noted they can fire from aircraft they have

Was wondering about that, I think the F16 stuff was premature, the ground-launched thing was an option but it's pretty cool that they've obvs modified their MiGs or similar to fire these.

Nice to way to introduce your longer range Himars if you happen to had been secretly given them

Yup, I don't know why they didn't have the longer-range ones already as the reasoning against it didn't stack up once it was announced that the US has to approve the targets anyway.

Associate
Yup, I don't know why they didn't have the longer-range ones already as the reasoning against it didn't stack up once it was announced that the US has to approve the targets anyway.

I don't know in general why the sophistication of the weapons given is always slowly incrementing, instead of just giving them everything from the start. I know one element is you need to train troops, but they could have started training troops on HIMARS right at the start for example.

I hope they have been given ATACMS, but that explosion could also be down to sabotage, Russia incompetence or even an aircraft that has snuck in somehow.

Caporegime
Oooof thats going to be another keyboard the US are going to owe putin, hes gonna rage at that.

If they have enough of the good stuff then just about all the occupied lands will be at risk.
If only they had some hope of air superiority, Ukraine could genuinely kick them all out, they would be sitting ducks (just like Iraq war)
If Ukraine really do have access to HARM missiles it will have a significant impact. Russian counterbattery radar and AA sites will be have to be very wary about switching their radar on rather than just operating with relative impunity.

Associate
Oooof thats going to be another keyboard the US are going to owe putin, hes gonna rage at that.

If they have enough of the good stuff then just about all the occupied lands will be at risk.
If only they had some hope of air superiority, Ukraine could genuinely kick them all out, they would be sitting ducks (just like Iraq war)

Would love to see them hit the Crimean bridge, thats one of Putins favourite infrastructure projects of the last decade. Would probably take quite a lot of ordnance mind you

Caporegime
It's not a game of cricket...

No, it's a war. Countries have had norms of behaviour around warfare since forever. Actors who ignore such norms have been judged negatively for the same length of time. When, like Russia's unjustified invasion of Ukraine, the actor is entirely in the wrong in starting the conflict they tend to be judged even more harshly.

Permabanned
Technology moves on, there are many, some here, who have long extolled the safety of nuclear reactors and hailed them as the future energy source for an ever expanding population. If they're that bloody impregnable and safe what's the worry ;)

The problem of course is they are not safe and are a prime military target and bargaining or threatening point. When a reactor is so used those who were crying out for more nuclear derived energy have a fit of the vapours.

Caporegime
I don't know in general why the sophistication of the weapons given is always slowly incrementing, instead of just giving them everything from the start. I know one element is you need to train troops, but they could have started training troops on HIMARS right at the start for example.

Because most of the difficulty of using advanced weapons is in logistics: supply chains, trained technicians, and organisation of ammo, spares, etc. Take the Abrams tank, for example, not only does it require an enormous amount of support, it's actually too heavy for Ukrainian bridges so you also need to upgrade actual infrastructure to deploy it.

Which is one reason that man portable weapons like Javelins, etc. were a major part of the early and pre-war support effort: they don't have the same need for complex infrastructure, logistics, or training.

Since Ukraine isn't NATO and, frankly, not seen as that reliable or stable an ally, the stuff they were being provided with before the war wasn't ever going to be top tier. You don't want that stuff ending up on the Russian side. So the West wasn't prepared to offer this stuff or even the preparation for this stuff before things escalated this year.

Associate
Because most of the difficulty of using advanced weapons is in logistics: supply chains, trained technicians, and organisation of ammo, spares, etc. Take the Abrams tank, for example, not only does it require an enormous amount of support, it's actually too heavy for Ukrainian bridges so you also need to upgrade actual infrastructure to deploy it.

Which is one reason that man portable weapons like Javelins, etc. were a major part of the early and pre-war support effort: they don't have the same need for complex infrastructure, logistics, or training.

Since Ukraine isn't NATO and, frankly, not seen as that reliable or stable an ally, the stuff they were being provided with before the war wasn't ever going to be top tier. You don't want that stuff ending up on the Russian side. So the West wasn't prepared to offer this stuff or even the preparation for this stuff before things escalated this year.
Yeah, as soon as they showed they weren’t going to fold, their government stayed in control and crucially they’ve taken steps to remove as much Russian infiltration in their ranks as possible the quality of the weaponry has stepped up to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom