Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Slightly off course. As an Infantry soldier in BAOR in the late '80's, in an Air Mobile Battalion, we had our exercises in late autumn (after the German farmers had harvested their sugar beet) these exercises were NOT held near the Dutch, Danish, French, Czech etc borders they were held pretty close to the then East German Border, ie where the West considered the threat to be: 3 Shock Army punching its way through the Inner German Border South of the Hartz Mountains through one of the Belgian armies and trying to cut off 1 BAOR Corps and head for the Channel Ports.

I'd suggest that Putin has few borders where he considers there to be a threat and possibly the only one being Ukraine? If Russia needs to do military exercises it would seem sensible to hold them pretty near to where they consider the threat.

For my sins I did a couple of Soviet Army Study courses, one thing which comes to mind was a photo of the world as seen by the West, ie UK in the centre of the map with NATO and Warsaw Pact countries highlighted. Then we were shown another map from above the North Pole with the NATO countries highlighted, certainly from a USSR they seemed to be surrounded. With many more ex Warsaw Pact countries having joined NATO, I'd suggest that Russia now feels even more surrounded.

In the days of the USSR it would have been easy to convince the population that NATO was hell bent on destroying the Soviet Union eg: the population couldn't travel abroad, no internet, social media etc. Now that people can travel (I've seen thousands of Russians in Goa) those same people probably view us in a different way, therefore Putin has to use other ways to convince his people of the NATO threat, closing down newspapers, banning political parties etc.

Russia asked to join NATO in 1954, perhaps we should have accepted them!

Associate
Putin will have given up a chance of ever having Ukraine as it will be armed to the teeth from now onwards.

I don't think he has ever wanted Ukraine in these circumstances, more like he just wants to keep them as a buffer state like Belarus and similar to what they want of the Baltics. It is understandable to a degree, even if it is simply to stave off the creep to their border of liberal democracies and agencies if only to protect their own racket within Russia.

Caporegime
I mean Russia mobilising 70% of it's armed forces on the border with Ukraine would reasonably indicate a planned invasion, you seem annoyed that we couldn't establish their intent with 100% certainty?
Annoyed ?

They aren’t gonna practice on the Kazakhstan boarder are they

Soldato
Annoyed ?

They aren’t gonna practice on the Kazakhstan boarder are they

They occupied and annexed Crimea and have been fighting skirmishes with Ukraine since 2014, it's not like we're accusing an otherwise benevolent Russia of planning an invasion because they're running normal military exercises. Russia seems to think their sovereignty extends beyond their actual borders, if they're upset Ukraine has moved towards a Western sphere of influence then maybe they should ask themselves why that is

Soldato
Credit given were credit due, these Russians are sly.

Make some noise, get the media hysterical, get what they want in the back room and then play it off as a training exercise. I wonder if this was the end game from the beginning, or maybe it was actually a training exercise and they took advantage of the situation given to them.

Don
The BBC headline made me laugh. Yes, those 2 troops in the picture were pulled back. Just them.
Although they appear to be running in the wrong direction. Ukraine is left, Russia is right.

I'm weird.

upload_2022-2-15_13-30-57.png

Soldato
Soldato
Wouldn't it be a really easy way to get your troops and tanks killed or destroyed by being terrible at keeping invasion plans secret. Is Ukraine literally incapable of fighting back and it makes no odds if they know, or is it just bull****.

While the element of surprise is arguably the most powerful weapon in war, it is not always *required*.

If you have overwhelming force vs your target, you can telegraph your intentions and possibly even demoralize your enemy in the process.

Soldato
Credit given were credit due, these Russians are sly.

Make some noise, get the media hysterical, get what they want in the back room and then play it off as a training exercise. I wonder if this was the end game from the beginning, or maybe it was actually a training exercise and they took advantage of the situation given to them.

Maskirovkas within Maskirovkas, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom