Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thanks for the link. I believe it is useful to get both sides. Even if you don't agree with their perspective on things.

I have a Ukrainian friend who kind of sees himself as more Russian (even though he lives in the west of Ukraine) we have often discussed issues from different perspectives. He, with his "Russian propaganda" and me with my "Western propaganda"

It's very useful to hear how other people see a situation from litterally the polar opposite of your own beliefs.

Anything coming out of Russia is propaganda though. There is pretty much no media outlet not under the Kremlin's thumb.

Associate
Russian state TV is now following up on Putin's speech with a graphic diagramming territorial "gifts" to Ukraine from Russian Czars, Stalin, Lenin and Khrushchev.

The yellow bit in the middle is labeled "Ukraine."

FMRfltNWYAInea3

Soldato
Putin will have planned for this years in advance, being cut off from the west that is. They will have put measures in place to ensure they can be as self sufficient as possible and still operate as a country under strict sanctions.

I don't even think he cares much about what sanctions are put in place, he has a goal and he will achieve his goal and then negotiate afterwards.

It feels like this is his master plan unfolding. He will be several steps ahead of Western leaders who are too distracted with domestic politics to play the long geopolitical game. Sanctions may end up counterintuitively playing into his hands.

Soldato
Putin will have planned for this years in advance, being cut off from the west that is. They will have put measures in place to ensure they can be as self sufficient as possible and still operate as a country under strict sanctions.

I don't even think he cares much about what sanctions are put in place, he has a goal and he will achieve his goal and then negotiate afterwards.

Yes - the plan of printing more money.

Caporegime
I've worked with various Ukrainians over the years who were almost offended I referred to them as such, quite adamant they are Russians. One guy got very irate, red faced and stormed off when I was having a flippant joke about Putin behind a bit of a mad man. This was probably a good 8/9 years ago though.

I have a Latvian like that. He came to work today with a Russian National football team hoodie on :cry:.

I find it very strange as most people associate themselves with the country they were born in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It feels like this is his master plan unfolding. He will be several steps ahead of Western leaders who are too distracted with domestic politics to play the long geopolitical game. Sanctions may end up counterintuitively playing into his hands.

They already have. Putin and China control what is really important. We deal with services now which in the grand scheme of things means very little when everything goes arse over end.

Soldato

Yep they've already said they don't care about sanctions because they will come anyway at some point, let us not forget all those Oligarchs in Russia, they're only Oligarchs because Putin allowed them to become Oligarchs, they'll be quite prepared and still very comfortable despite sanctions

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have a Latvian like that. He came to work today with a Russian National football team hoodie on :cry:.

I find it very strange as most people associate themselves with the country they were born in.

I think you might be surprised how many people in the UK who were born here would tell you that they are not British.

Caporegime
Can't help but feel we are screwed. And we can't really damage Russia enough to stop whatever putin wants.

I'm guessing Ukraine is a right off. And world wants whatever happens there to be done ASAP.

Thoughts in my head.. Putin obviously would love Latvia Lithuania and Estonia back. But would he have the balls to do it.
And being nato. West would have to do something.

But weaker we appear with Ukraine. The more likely he might be to be tempted?

Bigger picture is quite a concern.

Soldato
We have plenty of friends in the Ukraine since my wife did work there when she was younger. Like last time, some people opting to stay others to go. Messed up situation.

Buddy at work lost his brother the last time they "invaded."

Man of Honour

It reminds me of Bald and Bankrupt, does anyone here watch him? He is an English guy who has been making travel videos of former Soviet countries in Eastern Europe for many years now. Has quite a sizeable following online. He often has conversations with the people from those former USSR countries and usually asks them about the past and today and very very often the people he speaks to say that things were better when they were under Soviet rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom