Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't agree with them going all out on their sanctions simply because Putin isn't doing the worse he can yet.
Putin is taking in troops on the ground which will give him a much higher casualty rate(a lot of forum members seem to be missing this point) rather than bombarding the place before hand (remember shock and awe?).
So it's best to hold something back so if he struggles with the ground operation and decides to bombard the place indiscriminately then there should be some consequences which we can apply.
It was the plan to go in there, remove the government, put a new one in and then proclaim they have liberated the people. They expected to see Ukrainians welcome them with open arms or at least fear to resist. It wouldn’t have been good PR if he had gone in and flattened the cities whilst saying we are friends/brothers etc. Now he has shutdown the media coverage I expect it’s going to go that way but this will turn into a long drawn out conflict with even greater losses for Putin. He is making the same assumption that he can make people do something out of fear. Once Ukraine pull through this I could see them joining the EU and receiving a lot of funds to rebuild.

Soldato
It was the plan to go in there, remove the government, put a new one in and then proclaim they have liberated the people. They expected to see Ukrainians welcome them with open arms or at least fear to resist. It wouldn’t have been good PR if he had gone in and flattened the cities whilst saying we are friends/brothers etc. Now he has shutdown the media coverage I expect it’s going to go that way but this will turn into a long drawn out conflict with even greater losses for Putin. He is making the same assumption that he can make people do something out of fear. Once Ukraine pull through this I could see them joining the EU and receiving a lot of funds to rebuild.

If he didn't expect any resistance he would not have taken an army there.

We can hope Ukraine pull through this but I don't see it happening.

Soldato
The thing i don't understand is that Putin wants to put his own government in there to take over. But they won't be wanted because they didn't want to be pro Russian to begin with and now the Russians are physically attacking them they'll want to be ruled by them even less! This goes for the Ukranian Police and Army too. Does he think they'll just carry on working for the new Government he puts in? From how they've acted so far i very much doubt it. So that leaves him with having to leave a huge Russian force to keep control of the capital for example because if it ever left the country they will just throw them out and start again with a government they do want. It's such a mess. :(
That was the USSR in a nutshell. Nobody wanted or could vote for the government they were dealt. And now the **** wants it back. The police would be replaced as necessary with bully boys and political officers to control the population.

Soldato
Interesting and also frightening. Literally just heard on the news (radio some ex diplomat, was cooking for the kids so didn't catch the name :( ) that this is likely to be the next step, bombardment. Ugh. What a mess.

The Russian troops had pulled back to defensive positions and requested arty/airstrikes to soften up the targets. Arty systems don't have a massive range 20-30km with only the rockets having a longer range. So 12-18 miles max means they need to be in a safe position (ie behind the defensive positions) to fire from and free from counter fire. Otherwise they'd not be able to setup for a continuous bombardment with logistics lines coming in. Given the capital is a 33km across they need to be close enough to shell into the city.

Caporegime
I don’t think he expected the entire population to turn against him. He absolutely thought he could take out the government and that would be it.

There will still be a lot of pro Russian in the Ukranian population.

Not a majority, by a long way, but to say the entire population is against Russia is plain wrong.

Soldato
The thing i don't understand is that Putin wants to put his own government in there to take over. But they won't be wanted because they didn't want to be pro Russian to begin with and now the Russians are physically attacking them they'll want to be ruled by them even less! This goes for the Ukranian Police and Army too. Does he think they'll just carry on working for the new Government he puts in? From how they've acted so far i very much doubt it. So that leaves him with having to leave a huge Russian force to keep control of the capital for example because if it ever left the country they will just throw them out and start again with a government they do want. It's such a mess. :(

Or Putin wants to displace the Ukrainians completely as refugees leaving the country only full of loyal Russians..

Associate
Hungary remain the only EU country to not back Russia's removal of the swift system, how much dmg would this removal do to Russia?

this im interested to know too. I hear all different answers/projections and theories that china would just be a proxy for their payments etc. i have no idea.

Soldato
I don’t think he expected the entire population to turn against him. He absolutely thought he could take out the government and that would be it.

They are already at the capital, once that goes down and Russia installs its own pro Russian puppet government then all this western support will stop.
The Ukraine people will be on their own, no hero leader, no army, no western support....pretty much forgotten about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom