Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Might well be but I think the gist of it is correct, this is very expensive both in terms of finances but also in terms of equipment and lives - we're only 2 days in and Russia has lost several hundred armoured vehicles a few thousand soldiers and several aircraft (including two transport planes full of paratroopers) if Ukraine carries on with that sort of resistance then that sort of attrition is going to be very difficult for Russia.

the kit i am seeing is old though, perhaps its a good reason to get rid of the old kit anyway?

Associate
Is the reddit live update thread still working? Newest post is 40 minutes ago for me. Has to have been some more info since no?

EDIT: seems fine, maybe im to into this glued to my screen for info haha

Soldato
Given how many batteries were fired, the end result was, underwhelming...
Add to that the very limited range of the rockets, its more a psychological tool. Dont get me wrong if you get caught up in that, you aint gonna be having a good day.
However if they do deploy those they are going to be pretty exposed targets reasonably close to the front line.

Caporegime
I know the West are providing military hardware, but that is limited to smaller arms.

If we gave them actual air support, missile support, the Russians would retreat pretty quickly. Shame we won't/can't.

Yeah, we can't risk a no-fly zone, that would be putting WW3 at risk, likely not but still not worth risking for obvious reasons.

We are providing them with anti-tank missiles and air defences though and in an insurgency that's perfectly fine, all Russian aircraft are still vulnerable to stingers from, well, anywhere. Russian armour isn't safe, logistics aren't safe...

Soldato
Having witnessed both my late parents progressively lose their mental faculties due to early onset dementia and brain cancer respectively, I'm going to go with those as possible answers :p
That's an awfully cruel thing to have to go through, hope you are OK bud.

I've spent a lot of time lurking on this thread and can't shake the thought that all of this doesn't make sense. Putin is meant to be a calculated guy and therefore you'd think this invasion would be meticulously planned, could have worked on plans for years and years, covering so many possibilities and tactics.

Unless, this is the plan, and something is being missed?

Caporegime
the kit i am seeing is old though, perhaps its a good reason to get rid of the old kit anyway?

Not clear what you're referring to here - Russia's equipment mostly is old, some of it modified etc.. but if they want to send in thousands of armoured vehicles then that involves plenty of old BMPs etc.. a few hundred of which are now destroyed.

Soldato
Is Putin using this book on the future of Russian geopolitics as a basis for his plans? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Look under 'Content', he has succeeded in cutting the UK off from Europe and using Russia's natural resources to bully other countries (gas, oil, etc). The book also advises going after Ukraine (echoing Putin's language about it having no distinct identity or right to exist) which he's doing right now and going after Finland (they are right to be worried after those threats).

Caporegime
Sorry, late to the party today. It seems Putin has threatened Finland and Sweden with military action if they join NATO? What is the long game here?

That seems like bluster... I mean almost the entirety of his combat-ready troops are otherwise occupied (ignore the muh 1 million me posters), if Finland and Sweden want to join then now would be a good time.

Soldato
If these thermobaric weapons get used then there will be major loss on all sides.

It could be that Putin has sent his "disposable" forces to Ukraine. The inexperienced and inept ones. The old equipment that belonged in a museum anyway. Plus his calling for Chechen and Kazakh support so early in the conflict makes me think that is the case.
If he uses thermobaric weapons on other Slavs, he has lost and I would expect him to be overthrown in quite a short time

Soldato
Russians and Ukrainians are the same ethnicity, the term ethnic Russians is just something Putin has pulled out of his anus in the last decade to try and justify his drive towards war.

When people talk about "pro-Russian" Ukrainians it usually refers to Ukrainians who prefer the country forming links with Russia over forming links with the EU/west, maybe even some who would prefer to form a USSR style union with Russia. It doesn't refer to Ukrainians who want Russia to conquer/annex the country (granted there will be some, but a negligible amount).
You must realise you are wrong by the simple fact, that you have a Ukrainian language and a Russian language. There are both Slavic languages (descended from proto-slavic) but they are not the same. Actually I suspect Ukrainian language is probably closer to Polish than it is to Russian.

I'm interested as to what @Entai has to say as he apparently has a Ukrainian wife but I have a very good Ukrainian friend who lives in Boston and he will definitely correct your assertion that, "Russians and Ukrainians are the same ethnicity".

You might want read up on it as by calling them the 'same ethnicity' you are in fact saying exactly the same as Putin and Russian imperial propaganda. Putin said just that a few days ago in his pre-War statement.

Way to go unbersonic! ;)

Soldato
Is Putin using this book on the future of Russian geopolitics as a basis for his plans? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Look under 'Content', he has succeeded in cutting the UK off from Europe and using Russia's natural resources to bully other countries (gas, oil, etc). The book also advises going after Ukraine which he's doing and going after Finland (they are right to be worried after those threats).
It's been suggested he has been following this for several years now. A lot of it has already happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom