Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
@dowie

I forgot to reply, but you do not navigate using GPS.

Its very simple, here is a map, and everything is explained, not only my role, and your role, but the role of those we will interact with, (up to a limit for security)

You study the map, and memorize it, then, you will know, and, even if you lose the map, you should not be lost.

What are you replying to here? It's really not clear what you're adding to or objecting to - I'm well aware of what maps are???

Man of Honour
If the nukes fly then nobody will win, nukes will be countered by nukes.
Problem is Putin doesn't care about winning, he just doesn't want to lose, if nukes fly and he launches first then that to him will be a victory because he was the first to pull the trigger.

Russia has generally had the notion of massive preparation for surviving and re-emerging from nuclear war - they do semi-regular drills civilian and military:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/russians-drill-nuclear-strike/

Despite Snopes downplaying it a significant part of the drills revolved around a nuclear war type scenario.

There is also some degree of programs to build and stock shelters, etc. both military and civilian for example https://www.realcleardefense.com/ar...w_assured_survival_nuclear_bunker_651424.html

I would wonder if those close to Putin have sold him the notion these programs are far more advanced than they likely really are, as has happened with other aspects of this invasion, and that might affect his thinking.

Soldato
The presenter after him, James O'Brien is about 10 times worse. Anything for a viral clip of him destroying a caller then cutting them off.

As much as I agree with the vast majority of his political views, he is unbearable to listen to. He constantly interrupts his guests and loves the sound of his own voice to the point where he may as well not have bothered getting callers on. Some days I can stomach it, some days I just have to turn him off almost immediately.

He never listens to anybody on anything and defends it as trying to crack down on fake news or people not bringing the full facts.

I purposefully try to expose myself to as many opposing views as possible. I hear them out in full then I make my own mind up, no matter how poor the opposing argument is. Instead James just cuts them off 3 seconds into a point and gets the caller bogged down on some triviality, puffs his chest out then fades the caller out. No thank you. That's not debate, thats an echo chamber.

Last edited:
As much as I agree with the vast majority of his political views, he is unbearable to listen to. He constantly interrupts his guests and loves the sound of his own voice to the point where he may as well not have bothered getting callers on. Some days I can stomach it, some days I just have to turn him off almost immediately. He never listens to anybody on anything and defends it as trying to crack down on fake news or people not bringing the full facts.

I'm not alone then, I also agree with much of his political views but I'm not a fan for many of the same reasons you've stated, he's not a good flag to hold up for left leaning politics, he can barely be bothered to sit up straight half the time.

Soldato
I'm not alone then, I also agree with much of his political views but I'm not a fan for many of the same reasons you've stated, he's not a good flag to hold up for left leaning politics, he can barely be bothered to sit up straight half the time.

I disagree far more with Nick Ferrari but he is infinitely more listenable than O'Brien.

Man of Honour
Yeah definitely he is going to look to protect family at a time like this, there may also be some from Ukraine who'd look to exact revenge against them or hold them hostage, etc. a long with other considerations.

Associate
Quite a few rumours emerging that martial law could be implemented in Russia as early as tomorrow.

Putin will need a 'win' quickly as notbsure how long that will keep things from boiling over back home even as he tries to hide the realities of his 'war' from the people, as the economy and life comes crashing down around them surely that won't be sustainable for very long? When those police officers and others are struggling for their food and the same wider impacts as the rest of the population.

Wonder if we will see a diplomatic solution found over the weekend. Any further aggression without material progress in Ukraine would be a big indicator of where he is currently at.

Soldato
As much as I agree with the vast majority of his political views, he is unbearable to listen to. He constantly interrupts his guests and loves the sound of his own voice to the point where he may as well not have bothered getting callers on. Some days I can stomach it, some days I just have to turn him off almost immediately.

He never listens to anybody on anything and defends it as trying to crack down on fake news or people not bringing the full facts.

I purposefully try to expose myself to as many opposing views as possible. I hear them out in full then I make my own mind up, no matter how poor the opposing argument is. Instead James just cuts them off 3 seconds into a point and gets the caller bogged down on some triviality, puffs his chest out then fades the caller out. No thank you. That's not debate, thats an echo chamber.
Also the Carl Beech situation and the promotion he was given on the show leaves a very sour taste in the mouth when it comes to James O'Brien.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/james-o-brien-and-the-carl-beech-witch-hunt

Soldato
I wonder if Puty will still be breathing by the weekend? Surely its only a matter of time one of the generals does something. Puty is destroying Russia by the hour!

I get images of the Zhukov vs Beria scenes in The Death of Stalin (incidentally but not unsurprisingly banned in Russia! Putin clearly has no sense of humour)

Caporegime
You were explaining that the russians dont have many GPS, as a reason as to why they are lost many many pages back.

Russia doesn't rely on GPS, someone else mentioned it, here are some posts where I mentioned GPS:

Russia doesn't rely on GPS they have their own GLONASS system and the Chinese BeiDou system.

AFAIK there is a lack of satnav gear in general among their troops thus lots of units are getting lost (and subsequently ambushed/destroyed) after initial contacts/ambushes cause forces to disperse/change route and get lost. Also partly explains the troops stopping to ask for directions or running low on fuel (on top of the issue with logistics/supply trucks being hit).

Re: GPS - it's not necessarily relied upon for navigation by ground forces, it's used as a check in the UK or at least was.

UK Artillery is rather accurate regardless.

They're not reliant on GPS, wouldn't be surprised if there was a lack of maps tbh...

I suspect they've got a lack of maps (that could also explain one of the MLRS strikes on civilian apartments that were formerly part of a military facility - old maps) but also various units getting lost after an ambush - if you break contact and end up several k away then a well-trained soldier ought to be able to still figure out where they are etc.. but some of these conscripts... not so sure and they don't have satnav to check.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to point out in reply to this though, perhaps you misremembered what has been said, always best to quote just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom