Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Seems that carnage in Bucha was a classic case of driving a narrow column of vehicles into a confined space and then ambushed by taking out the front and rear vehicles and picking the rest off at their leisure.

Soldato
Just a cut and paste, sorry:

"Article 42.7 obliges EU countries to aid a fellow member state that becomes “the victim of armed aggression on its territory” by “all the means in their power”. This formulation is reminiscent of the better-known Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty, which calls on NATO member states to assist a party being attacked “by taking forthwith … such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force”."

So if Ukraine was in the EU what would the EU be doing differently right now?

Associate
I'm no expert on sanctions but its ridiculous to suggest that the UK government is not being tough on Russia.

That is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the sanctions do not appear to be AS tough as the government is making out, what with the grace periods they appear to be giving to Russian banks, and refusing to go after certain individuals. What they are doing may even be the right call under the circumstances - but they don't appear to be being transparent about it.

Soldato
Just a cut and paste, sorry:

"Article 42.7 obliges EU countries to aid a fellow member state that becomes “the victim of armed aggression on its territory” by “all the means in their power”. This formulation is reminiscent of the better-known Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty, which calls on NATO member states to assist a party being attacked “by taking forthwith … such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force”."
They won’t. Russia will just say stay out or nukes will come. EU are not NATO.

Soldato
Putin has basically reenacted Tsar Nicholas II Romanov.

1. Autocratic rule with pointless bloody wars. Treats the population like slaves and cannon fodder for his whim.
2. Dabbles with free market and gives the Durma free power to legistate.
3. 1st act of the Durma is to write widening rules.
4. Romanov attempts to crack down.
5. Revolution
6. Dead Romanov family shot by the revolutionaries.

There are subtle differences but I'm expecting Putin's crackdown to be more effective with control of the Durma through his cronies.

Soldato
...and if we had your preferred Momentum controlled Corbyn government they'd probably be sanctioning Ukraine and sending weapons to Russia..

=

I'll just excuse A because of B, which didn't even happen

Utterly pathetic and exactly why our government think they can get away with anything they like. You may as well say "well what if dragons had eaten our queen?"

Soldato
The US isn't in the EU. So of course Russia would be less worried by an EU army. But, in my opinion, the EU will get closer integration over the coming decades and could well be a superpower in the future.
Good we don't need the US having a monopoly on power. Checks and balances are needed.

Man of Honour
This is all a distraction, an EU army and the ramifications of Brexit have nothing to do with the murderous Russian leadership invading Ukraine and destroying it's cities.
I disagree. Russia's actions in Ukraine will directly impact the EU's future. It is far more likely that militay spending of EU nations will increase significantly. Germany has already said it will increase spending. I also think it will speed up the closer integration of national armies into an EU army. It is also going to resullt in an expansion of the EU. Putin has triggered exactly what he wanted to prevent.

Soldato
Maybe you could offer your opinion and insight rather than continually spamming any anti-west, contrary opinion pieces you can find.

His opinion is probably the same as the video he posted. Why don't you lot that have a problem with the opinions posted in these videos explain what it is that you disagree with, instead of replying with a meme, silly comment or emoji. :rolleyes:

Soldato
They won’t. Russia will just say stay out or nukes will come. EU are not NATO.

What is interesting is that as a likely result the EU will have to adapt it's stance - the buffer countries will demand more say at the table due to the risk. I think there will be some adjustments with respect to equality.
The question is - will the EU be nudged to become another Russia?

It already has a heavy beaurcratic capacity that is controlling. That centralised component is just ripe for Russian infiltration, rather than the US model of making a light beaurcatic framework and let the companies be strong implementations.
There is a middle ground but I'd assume it's difficult to keep the balanced approach.

edit: sorry I can't spell beaurcratic or bearcrasy and my autocorrect is so broken that neither can it. #loveapple

Last edited:
Soldato
Expect heavy delays.

FM0-3-EKXs-AI9k1-B.jpg

Consigliere
That is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the sanctions do not appear to be AS tough as the government is making out, what with the grace periods they appear to be giving to Russian banks, and refusing to go after certain individuals. What they are doing may even be the right call under the circumstances - but they don't appear to be being transparent about it.

Its brutal. They are literally being strangled...see the below for a bit more information. Huge companies across the world are stopping operations in and out of Russia. Their currency is tumbling.

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1499157917399977987/photo/1

Have a look at this for more info.

They will be losing the ability to purchase basic essentials.

Soldato
I disagree. Russia's actions in Ukraine will directly impact the EU's future. It is far more likely that military spending of EU nations will increase significantly. Germany has already said it will increase spending. I also think it will speed up the closer integration of national armies into an EU army. It is also going to result in an expansion of the EU. Putin has triggered exactly what he wanted to prevent.

I think the natural evolution will be exactly that with the addition of NATO becoming less relevant to European countries, I actually think this is a positive thing to be honest as I really do believe we should be significantly less reliant on the US moving forward. Its not to say they aren't a good ally but they follow their own agenda which isn't always for the benefit of Europe

Soldato
What is interesting is that as a likely result the EU will have to adapt it's stance - the buffer countries will demand more say at the table due to the risk. I think there will be some adjustments with respect to equality.
There are dozens of issues. Will France's Nuclear weapons be EU weapons, non proliferation would say no. Some countries may want larger armies relative to population, as you say due to risk. Will countries like other countries brigades to sit on their soil. Will voting on military action be the EU parliament, or one country, one vote etc., etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom