Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They are our government. They are not above criticism. especially as we are not at war. They have been taking Russian oligarch's money and its finally had the spotlight shone on it. If this was Labour and they'd been taking Russian money and were now dragging their feet on sanctioning oligarchs you'd be saying "God the Labour bashing is nauseating"?
Absolute balls I'm afraid.
When the crap hits the fan (which in the grand scheme of things , supposed Christmas parties in Downing St compared to our current situation don't even register) I think Bojo - much to my surprise - has shown very good leadership.

The saddest aspect of this all is why this was building up before our eyes - and Boris even tried to warn us of it - it was all about booze in No. 10 and nobody saw the monster coming down the road....

Soldato
Absolute balls I'm afraid.
When the crap hits the fan (which in the grand scheme of things , supposed Christmas parties in Downing St compared to our current situation don't even register) I think Bojo - much to my surprise - has shown very good leadership.

The saddest aspect of this all is why this was building up before our eyes - and Boris even tried to warn us of it - it was all about booze in No. 10 and nobody saw the monster coming down the road....

Sorry mate that hasn’t happened otherwise the world would have been warning about it and Boris would have looked distracted. That didn’t happen. He didn’t try to warn us he was trying to save his own skin. When he missed that call he didn’t protest. The tides is going out and you’ll see he has no trunks on. Of course he talks a good game that’s his thing, if only he could do that and be honest…

Soldato
They have been taking Russian oligarch's money and its finally had the spotlight shone on it. If this was Labour and they'd been taking Russian money and were now dragging their feet on sanctioning oligarchs you'd be saying "God the Labour bashing is nauseating"?

In reality companies and foreign nations spend most of their effort trying to buy favour with the current ruling party.

There has therefore been little incentive to provide 'donations' to the Labour party or their MP's for the past 10 years or so whilst they have been in the political wilderness.

The did however reward the last outgoing Labour PM (as is often the case with the a lot of the money coming after the service)

Prime Minister Gordon Brown was paid more than £100,000 ten years ago by a Russian bank that was sanctioned on the 24th of February 2022. The ex-Labour leader declared receiving £124,494 for a speech he gave to Sberbank and another corporate giant, Troika Diolog in February 2012. Sberbank, which is the largest financial institution in Russia, was sanctioned by the US Treasury department, as part of its punitive actions towards 13 Russian financial institutions to 'impair' the Kremlin and Russia’s economy in the wake of its invasion of Ukraine.

Despite the significant fee, Brown's speech lasted only 4 hours, equating to £500 per minute or £8 a second. Sberbank also paid an additional £4,018 for Brown and his staff’s flights and accommodation in the Russian capital. According to the US Treasury department, the bank holds the largest market share of savings deposits within Russia and is the principal creditor of the country’s economy. In 2018, the US Treasury identified Sberbank’s head, Herman Gref, as 'close' to President Putin.

The UK government provided early pre war practical assistance to the Ukraine whilst others dragged their heels.

Soldato
The weapons are good and what anyone would do. The sanctions with a temporal buffer are well…

“We are the first country in the world to get over covid” - wasn’t that Denmark?
“We are the first country in the world to in-act sanctions” - obviously not

Stinks a bit but we should have expected that

Soldato
Bloody hell that's shocking, more proof they are deliberately targeting civilians.

Who? You saw that there was no way to know who was shooting. I do not think either side is deliberately targeting civilians, there's just no reason for it. However I can see everybody being on edge and shooting at anything remotely threatening. It could have been Russian forces, it could have been Ukrainian forces, it could have been volunteers, it could have been Russian saboteurs.

At a certain distance their PRESS body armour makes then look like combatants. There's a Ukrainian checkpoint ahead manned by likely volunteers (from videos around Kyiv I saw but a guess), it is much more likely that this was a case of mistaken friendly fire.

Soldato

Yep same thing happened in 2014 when ISIS invaded Iraq and it took weeks for it to get any attention.

I half-heartedly hoped that the partygate squabbles were just a public ruse while more important planning was being done in the background regarding Ukraine.

When the fundamentals of a country are threatened it's not the time for one-upmanship. But then leaders like Putin and Xi see the West all soft and podgy and revel in the weakness.

Soldato
Who? You saw that there was no way to know who was shooting. I do not think either side is deliberately targeting civilians, there's just no reason for it. However I can see everybody being on edge and shooting at anything remotely threatening. It could have been Russian forces, it could have been Ukrainian forces, it could have been volunteers, it could have been Russian saboteurs.

At a certain distance their PRESS body armour makes then look like combatants. There's a Ukrainian checkpoint ahead manned by likely volunteers (from videos around Kyiv I saw but a guess), it is much more likely that this was a case of mistaken friendly fire.
:cry:

Soldato
Yep same thing happened in 2014 when ISIS invaded Iraq and it took weeks for it to get any attention.

I half-heartedly hoped that the partygate squabbles were just a public ruse while more important planning was being done in the background regarding Ukraine.

When the fundamentals of a country are threatened it's not the time for one-upmanship. But then leaders like Putin and Xi see the West all soft and podgy and revel in the weakness.

Totally Boris’ fault. He can’t see past the end of his own knob/rule breaking/oligarch funding.

He couldn’t run a bath.

Soldato
Ok, I know politicians are not the best of stock, and Zelboy will have some dirty laundry as most do, but you know what, **** that. the past is the past, for now. bring that all back up in a few years once all this is settling down. But watching Zelensky pulling up a chair and shaking the hand of a journalist, being on the ground with military garb and a gun, defending his country/state. Having 3 assignation attempts from what I can make out. Seeing the support from crowds in other countries cheering him and his countries population on to win this stupid ******* war, I dunno, I'm not there but I feel emotional/proud that there is someone out there who is doing good. It may be a wrong or bad idea but in his eyes he is doing the right thing and I can't commend him enough. I feel for him as I am sure he will meet a bloody end in one way or another.

As Webster said in Band of Brothers ( it is not what he said during the war but for purely screenplay purposes, its hits the nail on the head)

David Webster

Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut ********! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking? Dragging our asses half way around the world, interrupting our lives... For what, you ignorant, servile scum! What the **** are we doing here?

just change a few words around and you have pretty much the same ******* situation now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom