Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Past hour or so:
*US State Department Spokesperson: On Wednesday, the US Embassy in Russia Received a List of Diplomats Labelled Persona Non Grata by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
*US: We Urge Russia to Stop Expelling Us Diplomats and Personnel.
*The UK Government Will Provide 6,000 New Defensive Missiles to Ukraine & Over $30M in Military Aid, per a Statement.
*This More Than Doubles Defensive Lethal Aid Provided by UK to Ukraine to Over 10,000 Missiles. UK Also Working to Provide Longer-Range Targeting & Intel

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1506760201185075202 ~ from 1hr ago

Now:
*The White House Is Requesting a National Security Budget of $813.3 Bln.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-seek-813-3-billion-national-security-budget

Last edited:
Caporegime
Russia now turtling for the stalemate about 20km outside Kyiv, while Ukraine regains some territory.

'US official says Russian troops digging in outside Kyiv, no longer trying to advance.'

Ukrainian forces are carrying out successful counter-attacks against Russian positions in towns on the outskirts of the capital, and have probably retaken Makariv and Moschun, according to the latest report from the UK's Ministry of Defence.

The department says there's a "realistic possibility" Ukrainian forces are now able to encircle Russian units in Bucha and Irpin.

Soldato
I hope the Ukrainian forces are able to maximize distruction of Russian forces before the Russians can sort out their logistical issues. (And/or secure a lot of surrending troops)

Caporegime
Spicy shenanigans at the Kremlin today!

'Vladimir Putin's senior Kremlin official, Anatoly Chubais, resigns and leaves Russia over invasion of Ukraine.'

Anatoly Chubais has resigned as Vladimir Putin's senior Kremlin official and reportedly left Russia in what would be the highest profile protest by a Russian figure against the invasion of Ukraine.

Mr Chubais was appointed as the Russian President's special envoy for relations with international organisations for sustainable development in 2020. Prior to this, he was the head of state technology firm Rusnano, which he had run since 2008.

According to Reuters sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, Mr Chubais's resignation was motivated by the conflict in Ukraine. He does not intend to return to Russia, one of the sources said.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed Mr Chubais had resigned from the government.

Soldato
Soldato
What BS... they were fighting their OWN war on the eastern front. Many Allied lives were lost trying to get supplies to them.
I wouldn't worry too much about what Chris has to say. It's inconsistent nonsense, that serves to prop up his rickety worldview and nothing else.

He proudly self-identifies as racist, and it will surprise precisely nobody that Chris's opinion on whether we should respect history or not coincides with whether the historical people being considered have black skin or white skin...

For example, compare and contrast...
Perhaps Remembrance Sunday will have a deeper meaning after seeing what people have had to endure and fight against in your own lifetime?

But also, historically the Russian people gave many, so very many of their lives to supporting us in our fight with Germany, something many seem to conveniently forget. Especially when one in here openly calls them "Slavic peasants", something that grates with me more and more as I consider the sheer unpleasantness of such posts given Russian sacrifices against the nazis.
With...
Someone told me today that slave traders were just the estate agents and used car salesmen of the period. I am afraid to say I did laugh... I think this self flagellation over global history is unhealthy and somewhat bizarre.
And
Maybe because Eric Gill died in 1940 and the rape gangs you are so sensitive about are alive and well and plying young girls with drink and drugs still? Outside of the perpetually outraged the general public have more pressing concerns at the moment than someone most have never heard of having been making dosh in the global slave trade, way back when.

Soldato
*Armchair General Mode*

With respect to the Russians digging in near Kiev. They haven't been able to encircle Kiev so they can't form a siege and starve the Ukranians out. The cost of an attack would be catostrophic based on Russian performance thus far. Which just leaves levelling the place, which one assumes is not acceptable politically.

Based on what I've seen and read elsewhere the Russians are slowly but surely succeeding in the South and East and will encircle the Ukranian forces there if things continue. They have their land bridge to Crimea and Donbas is being surrounded. The Russian troops near Kiev digging in reduces their losses one assumes but prevents significant redeployment of Ukrainian forces.

I'm no expert just my thoughts based on some of the reporting and opinion pieces I have read.

Associate
A bit off topic, but the only reason Stalin signed a pact with Hitler was because the UK/France refused to sign a pact with him to stand united against Germany, he knew a Nazi invasion of the USSR was coming he was just trying to stall it long enough to build up the Soviet army. It worked as well because Hitler decided to take France first.

Though in reality Stalin was always going to invade Western Europe - Hitler just invaded before he was ready.

The USSR would not have held out had it not been for the critical military aid provided by the west.

Caporegime
I wouldn't worry too much about what Chris has to say. It's inconsistent nonsense, that serves to prop up his rickety worldview and nothing else.

He proudly self-identifies as racist, and it will surprise precisely nobody that Chris's opinion on whether we should respect history or not coincides with whether the historical people being considered have black skin or white skin...

For example, compare and contrast...
With...
And
I think you’ll find a lot of non racist decent folk actually would agree on the self flagellation over history part. How long do we have to grovel, beg forgiveness and feel awful about ourselves over something which none of us had anything to do with.

Soldato
I think you’ll find a lot of non racist decent folk actually would agree on the self flagellation over history part. How long do we have to grovel, beg forgiveness and feel awful about ourselves over something which none of us had anything to do with.

That’s a reasonable position and nicely put (whether I agree or not). It’s Chris Wilson though, and he’s not up for a debate. He’s entertaining but has the discourse skills of Beaker.

Soldato
Though in reality Stalin was always going to invade Western Europe - Hitler just invaded before he was ready.

The USSR would not have held out had it not been for the critical military aid provided by the west.

Yep, this is why Hitler went for a negotiation agreement with Stalin to split Europe - this was a trap from Hitler just to buy himself time because he knew Stalin was coming

Associate
Going to go down well with the regular Russian army if the lot from Dagestan are being paid more.

No, this could be why Russians has a high support for the war - In richer Moscow area :) They see themselves as superior to the southern/eastern people in Russia, dagistan etc etc.
Putin was and is signing up (forceing) cannon fodder in the really poor areas of the Country, in the field the military sends them in first, they're cannon fodder, the "superior slavic" Russians sends in the trash first.

Soldato
.... Stalin murdered millions more in concentration camps, far more than the Nazis did in their concentration camps.

That's not true, and by a long way.

Germany murdered around 6 million in the death camps. They murdered another 3 million or so Soviet POWs, mostly through a policy of deliberate starvation.

The GULAG death toll under stalin was around 2 million.

If the Soviet famines get thrown into the mix, then it's fair to include all excess deaths in German occupied areas- and their total would morre or less double.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom