Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think Biden really does want a regime change but to come out and actually say it is not the best move he could have made.

Russians said they elected Putin, but we all know it's a sham election.

Macron does look weak by trying to pander (unsuccessfully) to Putin, his negotiations go nowhere.

Caporegime
Zelensky offering his greatest concession yet:

'Zelensky opens the door for Ukraine neutrality in Russia peace deal.'

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Ukraine is prepared to discuss adopting a neutral stance as part of a peace deal with Russia, according to Reuters.

Be smart: Ukraine would not be able to join NATO if it adopted a neutral stance. Zelensky made the remarks during a 90-minute video call with Russian reporters, which Russian authorities had warned Russian media to refrain from participating in, per Reuters.

If Putin accepts this offer, the war could end, but Ukraine will be living on borrowed time until the day Russia decides it's time for a fresh invasion. I understand where Zelensky is coming from, I just want to know if he's got a long term plan for Ukraine's survival. EU membership must be the #1 priority now, even if he's not prepared to enter NATO.

Why does Zelensky want now to discuss neutrality? So all this war was in vain?

Because he doesn't want to lose more lives and another five cities' worth of infrastructure.

Soldato
There's an interview with President Zelensky and it is quite revealing in terms of negotiations. Basically the only thing that two conflicting parties agreed upon is neutral status of Ukraine (no NATO) but under specific security guarantees that are ratified by various countries. The main issue here is that Zelenky says that this is a constitutional change, which requires a public referendum and then at least two sessions of Rada (which he says takes at least a year). Furthermore, he says referendum cannot take place until Russian military withdraws to borders before 24th of February.

I would guess that the Russian side would not trust Ukraine to carry out this referendum (also what if the public votes no) and then wait 1 year for implementation. Besides as Minsk Agreements showed (special status to Donbas region), Ukraine has absolutely no interesting in undermining their sovereignty at constitutional level.

So to me this again looks like a straightforward impasse. So it seems hoping for a peace agreement soon is out of the question.

I cannot see Russia withdrawing without achieving any goals, which leads me to believe that Russia will escalate...in hopes to force Ukraine to capitulate...and at the same time the west will go for more severe sanctions. So more pain for everybody (food prices, energy prices, militarisation of Europe etc).

Interview link for anybody interested, it is in Russian so use google translate, they might translate it later on as they have ENG website as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Putin was demanding Ukraine completely disarm and not join the EU, those demands are ridiculous and Ukraine will never accept those terms, but will Putin back down on those demands for a way out of this mess? Also, Putin will want some land as well and the Ukrainian people seem hell bent on removing every Russian soldier from their land.

Soldato
Seems trivial to say they won't join Nato or EU.

Neither group was or is in any hurry to sign them up. They are at war and last time anyone checked they were too corrupt to get into bed with anyway.

But any meaningful conditions attached to the empty words will cause problems.

Soldato
There's an interview with President Zelensky and it is quite revealing in terms of negotiations. Basically the only thing that two conflicting parties agreed upon is neutral status of Ukraine (no NATO) but under specific security guarantees that are ratified by various countries. The main issue here is that Zelenky says that this is a constitutional change, which requires a public referendum and then at least two sessions of Rada (which he says takes at least a year). Furthermore, he says referendum cannot take place until Russian military withdraws to borders before 24th of February.

I would guess that the Russian side would not trust Ukraine to carry out this referendum (also what if the public votes no) and then wait 1 year for implementation. Besides as Minsk Agreements showed (special status to Donbas region), Ukraine has absolutely no interesting in undermining their sovereignty at constitutional level.

So to me this again looks like a straightforward impasse. So it seems hoping for a peace agreement soon is out of the question.

I cannot see Russia withdrawing without achieving any goals, which leads me to believe that Russia will escalate...in hopes to force Ukraine to capitulate...and at the same time the west will go for more severe sanctions. So more pain for everybody (food prices, energy prices, militarisation of Europe etc).

Interview link for anybody interested, it is in Russian so use google translate, they might translate it later on as they have ENG website as well.

From what I gather Russia's current demands are:

* Russia more or less gets to keep any land it has already gained and is now occupying

* What's left of Ukraine will agree to never join NATO and remain neutral

* What's left of Ukraine will cut its military size by 80%

Soldato
From what I gather Russia's current demands are:

* Russia more or less gets to keep any land it has already gained and is now occupying

* What's left of Ukraine will agree to never join NATO and remain neutral

* What's left of Ukraine will cut its military size by 80%

If Ukraine accepts this, Russia will finish what they started and they will probably be much better prepared next time.

Man of Honour
If Ukraine accepts this, Russia will finish what they started and they will probably be much better prepared next time.

Guarantee any deal Russia is willing to enter into negotiation wise will be to game the situation on the battlefield/long term. Despite the high cost Ukraine would be mad to accept any terms where they aren't the dominant party.

Soldato
The bigger question is if the West will force Russia to make reparations for the damage inflicted.

The cruise missile might have cost 2 million, bit it did another 3 million in damages.

Russia cannot be allowed to walk away from the billions of dollars of damage they have caused.

Man of Honour
Reports (unsubstantiated at this point) that Russia is pulling back a lot of forces from the north east and eastern Ukraine and repositioning them for a new offensive on Izium. Possibly an indication that they've given up on the north for now other than keeping Kyiv busy and diverting to concentrate on carving off the south/south east.

Additional and/or connected to that:

Soldato
*Japan’s Finance Minister Suzuki: Under Existing Legislation, the Government Cannot Seize Reserves Held by Foreign Central Banks.
*Japan’s Chief Cabinet Sec. Matsuno: The Country’s FX Control Statute Would Be Revised Quickly to Enhance Penalties Against Russia, With a Draught Expected to Be Submitted During the Current Parliamentary Session.
https://www.forexlive.com/centralba...fiscate-foreign-reserves-at-the-boj-20220328/

Man of Honour
MuPef23.png

Interesting sticking a Combat Sent that close to Kaliningrad not sure if sending a message or they've spotted something.

Also interesting the number of multi-national AWACS and maritime patrol aircraft have been operating in the last few hours around Japan - they are obviously taking Russian exercises in the region very seriously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom