Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
'UK Prime Minister Johnson's statement on Russia’s despicable attacks against innocent civilians in Irpin and Bucha'

FPcAIIJX0AY_y_A

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-ministers-statement-on-ukraine-3-april-2022

Soldato
Dont get why just regular weapons are being sent to ukraine? Why not supply them with long range missiles that can hit moscow? Bet that would send the Russians packing.
From what i understand of it is the weapons that are send to them are only for there defense against the russian invading army and not long range offence weapons for attacking russian

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing as though the West wrote the rules on war it makes sense that Western morals are more aligned with the rules than anywhere else and that the West put a higher value on human life than other areas of the planet

I do kind of agree with you though in that having rules for war seems counter intuitive to the whole ethos of war or at least total war where the objective is to destroy your enemy
I think the mods were editing the thread while you were replying or something, that's not my post.

Soldato
I'm guessing taking POW's or otherwise treating captured enemy personnel humanely is a relatively recent thing.
Certainly watching some of the recent Saxon period dramas, presumably with a basis in reality, any enemy wounded left on the field were finished off and no prisoners were taken. Those that did manage to surrender were simply killed, unless they had value as slaves or hostages.

During the napoleonic wars we took french POW's and interned them in camps and I presume they did the same, boney himself surrended to us rather than the Prussians as he knew they'd probably have had him put against a wall and shot, we simply exiled him to remote islands (twice)

Sadly there will be some that will believe the lies from Russia

Only those who don't have access to anything other than russian state regulated media outlets, i.e. russians. Or the clinically insane a.ka. QAnon types.

Last edited:
Soldato
I already see in fringe and typical American right wing media, talk about Bucha being a hoax etc mirroring that Russian post.

It’s pathetic, as soon as something big happens it’s usually a day before you start seeing the borderline putin apologists making excuses and calling it a hoax or staged. It’s predictable every time.

Caporegime
They'll also be the ones moaning about how everyone else hates the west whilst unironically doing everything in their ability to empower it's enemies.

Associate
With respect, you should stick to flower pressing if you don't think that's how war works. There's a big difference between what should happen and what does happen.

I am well aware of the realities of conflict and human brutality, perhaps you are missing the point of of my response to another poster? Love the pathetic attempt at an insult too by the way and the pointing out the blatantly obvious.

Soldato
Remember that Russian forces accidentally shot down a plane, and they weren't punished for it. They spun that into something else and we didn't learn.

Man of Honour
Sounds like Russia had their arses handed to them. Ukraine just needs to capture the east now. Meanwhile they get more and more arms and become more difficult to push back. Such a waste of life for absolutely no gain.

Soldato
I think efforts to make war "civilized" are counter-productive in the long run.

If you make an activity more palitable, you make people more likely to engage in the activity.

Its not like that at all. War is war but war crimes are war crimes, we didn't prosecute ordinary german soldiers from shooting dead british soldiers after WW2 but we did go after SS officers and others who were accused of rounding up civilians and shooting them or the mass murder of europe's jewish population. Shooting civilians dead for no reason simply executing everyone they can find is a war crime and we should exclude Putin/Russia from international events and no longer regard them as anything other than a pariah state and as I think the head of the war crimes tribunal recently said Putin should be indicted as a war criminal. Of course actually getting hold of him/them is another matter but that doesn't mean that relations with Russia should ever be normalised until he/they are handed over to a court of law, or are proven to be dead.

Soldato
I'm guessing taking POW's or otherwise treating captured enemy personnel humanely is a relatively recent thing.
Certainly watching some of the recent Saxon period dramas, presumably with a basis in reality, any enemy wounded left on the field were finished off and no prisoners were taken. Those that did manage to surrender were simply killed, unless they had value as slaves or hostages.

Rewarding surrender seems tactically sound to me. I think it's a bad idea to encourage your enemy to fight to the death.

Soldato
Its not like that at all. War is war but war crimes are war crimes, we didn't prosecute ordinary german soldiers from shooting dead british soldiers after WW2 but we did go after SS officers and others who were accused of rounding up civilians and shooting them or the mass murder of europe's jewish population. Shooting civilians dead for no reason simply executing everyone they can find is a war crime and we should exclude Putin/Russia from international events and no longer regard them as anything other than a pariah state and as I think the head of the war crimes tribunal recently said Putin should be indicted as a war criminal. Of course actually getting hold of him/them is another matter but that doesn't mean that relations with Russia should ever be normalised until he/they are handed over to a court of law, or are proven to be dead.

I still hold that losing is the only enforceable "war crime". The victor gets to define the rules the loser gets punished for breaking.

Ask yourself why the last thing people want to do is start a nuclear war?

Why is it that people are generally more willing to engage in conventional war and less willing to engage in nuclear war? I submit that one is more horrible than the other and that's why we get more of one activity and less of the other.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like Russia had their arses handed to them. Ukraine just needs to capture the east now.
Russian supply lines are shorter in the East, and now they've lost face and can focus on one front, I'm genuinely scared of what lies ahead for Ukraine. I just hope behind the scenes our leaders are doing far more than they're talking about.

I also worry about Ukraine being unable to take forces away from the west in case there's another, much better planned assault. I know the Russians may be short of kit and men, to an extent, but they're not short of extremely nasty weapons or soft targets.

Horrible times ahead, I fear. And I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom