Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Sadly we both know that either Russia or China will veto - the UN in its current form is a waste of resources

The UN is incapable of handling many of the world's issues, but that doesn't make it a waste of resources. It carries out many useful functions and is much better than not having it. Organisations based around co-operation of nations cannot resolve issues of non-cooperation, but they can help increase the amount of interactions that are co-operative.

Permabanned
One thing I was wondering was why didnt more civilians not escape it was days until Russia reached some of these places?

I appreciate it a very difficult task but it when you see convoys of buses late on you wonder where was that at the start.

Been wondering the same. I imagine a lot of them don't want to leave their homes, become refugees and endure the harsh climate, traipsing though the mud, the cold, wind up in an unknown destination etc without all your creature comforts.

That might sound foolish, but to begin with, the shelling was nowhere near as intense as what it has been recently, so many probably hoped they could wait it out. There's also the fact that the refugee corridors came under attack, so there's another reason to hunker down, alongside the human trafficking into Russia under the guise of refugee convoys.

Soldato
I think that the prevelence of war crimes goes along with the use of mercenary groups which Russia employs worldwide and the USA has also been known to employ alongside regular units. The command structure does not go to the top in all cases. I make no excuse for Putin as I know he has always been a murderer, however I am sure that he does not know what the Chechens or the Wagner group or his latest employees, the Syrians will be doing on the ground and probably does not care.

Soldato
What signals a lie is the purity. That absolutely now Russian involvement occurred and that russia military are perfect. Well if we know the latter is a load of tosh. Then it's only a matter of QED.
Allow UN discussion.
Come to no conclusion.
But UN votes to send peacekeeping force and enforce no fly zone, made up of NATO member countries under UN banner :D

I know it won't happen.

Is it me or is Putin attempting to stop “retreating/withdrawing” troops from being slaughtered? Only then to redeploy them elsewhere? Also attempting to use the UN to gold only his own annexed Ukrainian land?
I suspect Ukrainians want to teach putin a lesson he will not forget. Ukrainian farmers and land owners will not want putin invalidating their right and giving the land to russian farmers.

Soldato
What signals a lie is the purity. That absolutely now Russian involvement occurred and that russia military are perfect. Well if we know the latter is a load of tosh. Then it's only a matter of QED.

Is it me or is Putin attempting to stop “retreating/withdrawing” troops from being slaughtered? Only then to redeploy them elsewhere? Also attempting to use the UN to gold only his own annexed Ukrainian land?
I suspect Ukrainians want to teach putin a lesson he will not forget. Ukrainian farmers and land owners will not want putin invalidating their right and giving the land to russian farmers.
Unless surrendering by treaty, they are still enemy combatants occupying another country. Germany still strafed retreating troops at Dunkirk.

Soldato
— Bloomberg (CET Time)

*Arab League Foreign Ministers to Meet Lavrov, Kuleba

b31ajQe.png
*Poland Proposes Ban on EU Visas for Russians

lKogwqM.png
*EU Says It Holds Russia Responsible for Atrocities

kRZoh8t.png

*Ukrainian Lugansk Authorities: Russian Forces Prepare to Launch Attack on the Area After Mobilizing Fighters and Vehicles — AJA

Permabanned
If Russia has said that they will be limiting its "special operation" to the East then they shouldn't have an objection to a no fly zone over the West.

If they have any intention of doing it then now is the time, before a new push from the East starts

This is quite compelling. Unless NATO is worried about Ukrainian friendly fire, I can't think of any reason not to do this whilst the time is opportune.

It would put the ball back in Putin's court, where the prospect of venturing West would mean willingly engaging NATO. Something he won't do, so this is a solid move in my opinion.

Soldato

Sadly there will be some that will believe the lies from Russia

Absolutely disgusting, they have no shame and no morals, the Kremlin is a house of psychopaths.

They know a an awful lot about injuries, blood and length of death for a group that left before any of that happened, strange that.

Playing devils advocate here, are you actually able to refute those allegations?

Soldato
*UK’s Foreign Minister Truss Will Meet Ukraine, Poland’s Foreign Ministers; to Discuss Tougher Sanctions Against Russia.
*UK’s Foreign Minister Truss: Putin Is yet to Show He Is Serious About Diplomacy
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...tions-against-russia-poland-visit-2022-04-04/

*German Economy Minister Habeck: Germany Is Working on Reducing Reliance on Russian Energy.
*German Economy Minister Habeck: The EU Clearly Has More Room for Further Sanctions on Russia.
*German Economy Minister Habeck: If Gas Is Not Avaliable, We Will Need to Return to Coal.
*BdB Lobby President Sewing: German Banks See Considerable Recession in Germany if There Is a Halt to Russian Oil, Gas Imports.

*Governor of Ukraine’s Chernihiv Region: Russian Forces Have Left Chernihiv City, Some Russian Troops Remain in the Chernihiv Region. — RTRS

Last edited:
Associate
Playing devils advocate here, are you actually able to refute those allegations?

Seems like there's a lot of eye witness accounts, and there were journalists into those regions quickly after liberation. In the extremely unlikely event these atrocities were staged by Ukraine it almost wouldn't even matter because no one [of any import] believes a word the Russians say anymore. They've totally destroyed their own credibility with their constant laughable lies.

Soldato
*The Kremlin Condemns Comments by Poland’s Ruling Party Leader That Warsaw Would Be Open to Having Us Nuclear Weapons on Its Soil.
*The Kremlin Has Refused to Comment on How the Bucha Allegations Will Affect the Talks.
*The Kremlin: It Categorically Rejects Any Accusations
*The Kremlin: We Have No Information on the Status of the Russia-Ukraine Peace Talks.
*The Kremlin Has Stated That Russia Desires and Demands That the Issue Be Discussed at an International Level.

*German Economy Minister Habeck: Germany Is Working on Reducing Reliance on Russian Energy.
*German Economy Minister Habeck: The EU Clearly Has More Room for Further Sanctions on Russia.
*German Economy Minister Habeck: If Gas Is Not Avaliable, We Will Need to Return to Coal.
*German Govt Spokesperson, on Further Sanctions vs Russia, - Will Agree Further Measures in Coming Days
*German Foreign Ministry Spokesperson, on Expelling Russian Diplomats: All Options Are on the Table.
*German Economy Ministry Spokesperson: Gas Embargo Would Have Economic Consequences for Germany, Must Therefore Act Prudently
*German Economy Ministry Spokesperson: Want to Reduce Russian Energy Dependency, Looking at “Complex” Situation of Rosneft, Gazprom Activities in Germany

*EBRD Board of Governors Votes to Suspend Access for Russia, Belarus to Its Financing, Bank Resources.
*The World Is Piling on Debt As It Battles Inflation — WSJ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-world-is-piling-on-debt-as-it-battles-inflation-11649064601
*JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon Says Big Risks Loom for the U.S. Economy — WSJ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jpmorg...ig-risks-loom-for-the-u-s-economy-11649045322

Last edited:
Associate
I mean, god forbid, but if you came home to find someone had broken in and you found your family murdered... it'd take a 'brave' defense council to turn to around to the jury and say, 'well, they may have done it to make my client look bad!'

Soldato
This is quite compelling. Unless NATO is worried about Ukrainian friendly fire, I can't think of any reason not to do this whilst the time is opportune.

It would put the ball back in Putin's court, where the prospect of venturing West would mean willingly engaging NATO. Something he won't do, so this is a solid move in my opinion.

So you're wanting NATO planes to shoot down Russian planes if they go into West Ukraine? If we did that then why would Russia not feel able to attack NATO air bases launching those air patrols with cruise missiles? Then if they did that, Russia has launched an attack on a NATO member state invoking article 5, so suddenly NATO is at war with Russia. You're happy with that outcome? NATO in a total war state with Russia, both nuclear armed powers, potentially escalating into a strategic nuclear exchange leading to the deaths of 1 billion people according to a US study, in defense of a non-NATO member in Ukraine who are currently pushing back Russia and have held Kyiv simply with our support

Associate
So you're wanting NATO planes to shoot down Russian planes if they go into West Ukraine? If we did that then why would Russia not feel able to attack NATO air bases launching those air patrols with cruise missiles? Then if they did that, Russia has launched an attack on a NATO member state invoking article 5, so suddenly NATO is at war with Russia. You're happy with that outcome?

Not saying I think Nato should directly get involved, more thinking should give them top end missile defense and MIGs, BUT... if they were to keep a no fly zone over western Ukraine then in theory it shouldn't matter overly to the Russians (militarily) given their statements about 'freeing' the east. It'd be a nuisance but not the real reason their attempt would succeed or fail.
Russia wouldn't really strike at Nato airbases with cruise missiles, in your scenario, because cruise missiles can be nuclear tipped. With no way for Nato to know would they risk striking an airfield that's just one of dozens nato can use and in so doing risk the annihilation of all their cities and the vast majority of their population? For what? A mig getting shot down that strayed west of the dnieper?
I don't think they're that eager to all die with all their friends and family when Russia itself is not being attacked.

Caporegime
So you're wanting NATO planes to shoot down Russian planes if they go into West Ukraine? If we did that then why would Russia not feel able to attack NATO air bases launching those air patrols with cruise missiles? Then if they did that, Russia has launched an attack on a NATO member state invoking article 5, so suddenly NATO is at war with Russia. You're happy with that outcome? NATO in a total war state with Russia, both nuclear armed powers, potentially escalating into a strategic nuclear exchange leading to the deaths of 1 billion people according to a US study, in defense of a non-NATO member in Ukraine who are currently pushing back Russia and have held Kyiv simply with our support

It's an interesting idea.

Say the Ukranian government invites NATO or say Poland to provide military support and a no fly zone is outlined with clear boundaries are Russia likely to respect it? If they don't and their planes are shot down (highly likely given their disaster of a military) what are they going to do? We've seen Turkey down a Russian plane without much drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom