Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
China has a problem to resolve with upper Manchuria which has been occupied by Russia for over 150 years as there's plenty of Chinese nationalists who want it back which creates a state security conundrum for Beijing.

Russia imploding allows them to take it back and Hanise it, though this is obviously itself a security problem because Russia balkanising is far more dangerous than the USSR collapsing as a bunch of ethno-states will have access to all manner of WMD's so rationally China has to make a choice between propping Moscow up or taking advantage if this is inevitable.

Russia falling apart would also allow China to fully drag Central Asia into their sphere without resistance whilst vassalising much of Russia in the process.
Agree this seems like a potentially really interesting opportunity from China's point of view. They have been building up business links with Russia for some time, and a weakened Russia, especially following Putin stepping down would be a great time to build influence and expand business and trade interests in a way most beneficial to China while Russia doesn't have many other options. Especially if Russian relations with the West remain frosty.

Getting outer manchuria 'back' would be a great prize for China alongside effective control over Kazakhstan etc...

Stabilising Russia to prevent it Balkanising could be an excuse for all sorts...

Guess the longer the Ukraine crisis goes on and the more hardened Western attitudes to Russia become the better for China...

Associate
She won't win. Macon will have his nose bloodied but she won't win.
Its no surprise she backs Putin, lots of the right back him in Europe and the US. There seems to be a movement to embrace illiberal democracy which isn't really democracy as they then move to make it almost impossible for the opposition to ever win back power.

Trump won't win, Putin won't invade and you just jinxed the french election. :)

Associate

I saw that, sounds pretty dire for them to be honest. It does seem a bit short sighted to not even begin the training process on better jets. Who's to say this war won't still be going on in 6 months or even a year? A bunch of new F-16's (?) and freshly trained pilots/maintenance crews could be the turning point in the whole war. Then again it doesn't look like helping to that extent is politically viable anyway. I imagine that's the reason why we're slowly seeing more and more advanced AA get shipped over - it's seen to be less of an escalation risk.

Soldato
No quite right. Kicking off another war 20 years after the War to End all Wars was just another day at the office. Probably didn’t make the weekly highlights memo.

The BEF that we sent over was so outclassed we retreated right back across the water leaving vast amounts of hardware for the Germans.

Tell me more about how appeasement bought us time for winning the war.

Soldato
Past 1hr:
*U.S. Treasury Secretary Yellen: Hope The World Successfully Avoids Returning To A Bipolar System And Calls For Active Cooperation With China To Prevent This
*Poland's President Duda: Those Who Committed Crimes In Ukraine Have To Be Brought To Justice, Not Just The Soldiers But Those Who Issued Orders
*Poland's President Duda: This Is Not War, This Is Terrorism
*Poland's President Duda: We Know What Russian Occupation Means, We Know What Russian Terror Means

*Ukraine President Zelenskiy: We Were Not Officially Approached By German President Or Office Of German President Regarding Visit
*Mayor Of Ukraine's Kharkiv: Bombing Of City Has Increased Significantly Since Yesterday, There Are Casualties Including Dead Children

*Russia: If Attacks On Russian Territory Continue Then Russian Forces Will Strike At The Places Where Such Decisions Are Made — Including Kyiv
*Russian Ministry Of Foreign Affairs: Nothing Can Stop Russia's Special Military Operations In Ukraine From Realizing The Goals And Completing The Tasks
*Russian Defence Ministry: Mariupol's Trade Sea Port Is Under Full Control
*Russian Defence Ministry: All "Hostages" From Vessels At Mariupol's Port Are Freed

*Russian Ministry Of Foreign Affairs: Russia Has Filed A Criminal Case Against The "Azov" Battalion, And Japan Has Removed The "Azov" Battalion From The List Of Terrorist Organizations, Which Shows That It Is An Accomplice Of Neo-Nazism, Which Is Compromising Its Own Security
*Ostrovsky, An Expert From The Institute Of Far East Research Of The Russian Academy Of Sciences: To Achieve An Annual Bilateral Trade Volume Of 200 Billion US Dollars, Russia And China Must Expand Trade Varieties And Develop Mutual Investment
*Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesman: Ukraine Was Stalling Peace Talks

Soldato
Might happen anyway to the civilians that remain, or maybe worse as a result of them continuing to resist.
Real mature.

I’m impressed (sort of?) of your confidence in your opinions.

Either

a) you are Jesus/Buddha and therefore all hail
b) you’re an opinionated child with the lack of ability to recognise the answer to every question is not yes or no. More than that if the yes/no answer isn’t what you believe it’s wrong. Yes I include observations from other threads.

I know which version is more likely. Froth defined. Why do you bother? You may as well just bark at dogs and stop wasting human time.

Last edited:
Soldato
The BEF that we sent over was so outclassed we retreated right back across the water leaving vast amounts of hardware for the Germans.

Tell me more about how appeasement bought us time for winning the war.

Its a heck of a lot more complicated than that actually. The BEF were a fully mechanised force whereas the Germans were not and the armour was evenly matched (except teh French super heavy - nothing the Germans had could kill it). No it was mistakes at the high command level, lack of French use of radios and distrust between the allies which was the problem , on the tactical level it was a match.

Soldato
*White House Issues Statement On Biden-Zelenskiy Call
*Biden: U.S. Authorizing an Additional $800 million in Weapons, Ammunition, and Other Security Assistance to Ukraine
*Biden: Military Package Will Contain Many of the Weapons Systems U.S. Has Already Provided As Well As New Capabilities
*Biden: Package Will Include Artillery Systems, Artillery Rounds, and Armored Personnel Carriers
*Biden: He Has Also Approved Transfer of Additional Helicopters
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...nd-additional-security-assistance-to-ukraine/

Last edited:
Permabanned
I’m impressed (sort of?) of your confidence in your opinions.

Either

a) you are Jesus/Buddha and therefore all hail
b) you’re an opinionated child with the lack of ability to recognise the answer to every question is not yes or no. More than that if the yes/no answer isn’t what you believe it’s wrong. Yes I include observations from other threads.

I know which version is more likely. Froth defined. Why do you bother? You may as well just bark at dogs and stop wasting human time.

Haha, I enjoy not following the narrative, makes for some interesting responses.

We are allowed to have different opinions you know, it's not a thought crime, yet.

Soldato
Until ~2016 the US DOD was purchasing Russian helicopters from a number of places including Russia to supply to Afghanistan - until things kicked off in congress and they started to replace them with US models. Dunno if they were all delivered to Afghanistan.

Which the Locals had almost zero ability to fix, requiring constant assistance from US companies who got paid quite a lot. The silly thing was that the US & Afghan Military (the actual end users with 100% clarity of the situation in Afghan) still wanted the ex-Soviet stuff, it was only the "internet experts" in Congress/Senate being pushed by US contacting companies who actually wanted modern US helicopters used. At time the utter lack of scruples and lack of moral courage shown by politicians still amazes me, sadly.

A China-India war would surely go nuclear if they properly went at it, wouldn't it?

I read a good novel where China and India went to war which escalated quickly because, unlike the US and Russia (for example), as these were part-time allies there was no "Red Phone/Hot Line" setup between the two which might have been used to calm things down. Can't remember the book but it was a good read all the same and I could easily imagine a similar scenario playing out IRL.

Soldato
*Russian News Agencies Cite Foreign Ministry: Russia Is Imposing Sanctions On 398 Members Of The US House Of Representatives And 87 Canadian Senators
*Russian Foreign Ministry Plans To Shortly Announce More Sanctions In Response To US Punitive Measures

*Senior Ukrainian Official: 1567 People Were Evacuated From Cities Through Humanitarian Corridors On Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom