Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They claim there was an explosion from a munitions accident on board and it sank in a storm.
I mean, they're not technically lying.

There was a munitions related explosion, albeit related to the soviet anti ship missile(s?) that slammed into the ship.

There was an accident, in that the crew were so preoccupied with a loitering drone they accidentally missed the aforementioned missiles approaching and didn't even try countermeasures (or simply had the systems switched off by accident).

And the seas were stormy when the ship sank, due to the damage from the aforementioned explosion related to the soviet anti ship missile(s?) that slammed into the ship.

So yeah, completely true statement from Russia there xD

Associate

Edit: Why would Russia move its ships away if it was an accident I think its clear its was missiles?

It is plausable that it was a fire or a weapon system malfunction - wouldn't be the first time one of their own weapons has exploded on a ship - Kursk for example.

I'm inclined to think the landing ship was a fire that got out of hand and that this one was a missile.

Associate
I mean, they're not technically lying.

There was a munitions related explosion, albeit related to the soviet anti ship missile(s?) that slammed into the ship.

There was an accident, in that the crew were so preoccupied with a loitering drone they accidentally missed the aforementioned missiles approaching and didn't even try countermeasures (or simply had the systems switched off by accident).

And the seas were stormy when the ship sank, due to the damage from the aforementioned explosion related to the soviet anti ship missile(s?) that slammed into the ship.

So yeah, completely true statement from Russia there xD

I think the Neptune missile is a home grown Ukrainian design actually, that only came into service over the last year. Apparently they only have very small numbers of them and most likely can't build more due to their defence industry being destroyed at this point. I guess they were holding them back in case of an attempted landing at Odessa, but now that looks less likely + the UK is supplying them with harpoon missiles.

Soldato
Caporegime

Excellent! I was a bit worried earlier re: reports that it was supposedly heading back under it's own steam! Obviously, this is a big warship with a very thick hull and the Neptune is a bit lighter than the harpoon, has to really attack the top part of the ship, probs not much damage below the waterline. Clearly hitting the missiles/and setting off ammunition did the trick though!

Caporegime
I think the Neptune missile is a home grown Ukrainian design actually, that only came into service over the last year. Apparently they only have very small numbers of them and most likely can't build more due to their defence industry being destroyed at this point. I guess they were holding them back in case of an attempted landing at Odessa, but now that looks less likely + the UK is supplying them with harpoon missiles.

I don't think the UK is supplying them with harpoon missiles, that was just some twitter rumour that got repeated. The UK does seem to have supplied them with Martlet missiles and also IIRC there were reports of sea spear missiles.

AFAIK they might well have only had a few of these Neptunes as you say, they were due for delivery around now but obvs there might have been difficulties. Using (some of) the few they had available on the most valuable target like this makes plenty of sense given they now seem to have some shorter range stuff to take on landing craft etc.. courtesy of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom