Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The Moskva has been converted to a sea reef in order to improve the habitat of the local fish, and this accords with Putin's passion for environmentalism. This is all according to plan.

Soldato
I read that as plum out of luck finding an adult regularly posting on the matter.
probably very true :cry:
More likely that you won’t find a nato general coming in here to set the record straight so until then you’ll have average joes discussing what’s being reported and guessing what might happen next.
yea there's no issue folks discussing, and guessing. but it's when the usual suspects are framing their opinions as facts or allude or having knowledge over and above what they just looked up on wikipedia it becomes a bit weird and cringey!

Soldato
in the same cringey vein that the same posters pop up in almost every thread and immediately set themselves up as experts. you must admit it's a rather bizarre sight to behold. there's about 4 or 5 posters who crop up in almost every thread and suddenly become experts, everything from Covid to Racism to Ukraine. i suppose they need to use this sort of medium to massage their obviously delicate egos given they'd be quickly told to shut the **** up and **** off in the real world.

It's called general discussion and if you feel someone is wrong you can, ya know, discuss it.

I see with many of my peers now that people don't want a debate, they don't want different points of view, they just want to be told what they want to hear. People subdivide their news sources, political parties and the people they like listening to on social media until they are in their own little echo chamber.

Soldato
It's called general discussion and if you feel someone is wrong you can, ya know, discuss it.

I see with many of my peers now that people don't want a debate, they don't want different points of view, they just want to be told what they want to hear. People subdivide their news sources, political parties and the people they like listening to on social media until they are in their own little echo chamber.
you've missed my point (or i may not have articulated it very well, apologies if that is the case) - i've no issue with discussion and debate etc. i'm always more than happy to listen to opposing views (when they aren't a load of obviously made up guff :p)

my 'moan' is with the small number of individuals who regularly appear and set themselves up as some sort of authority on a particular subject (or rather on any subject)

don't mistake me recognizing a small number of posters for what they are with not wanting debate or discussion.

Last edited:
Soldato
the whole thread is full of little boys playing soldier (or wiki warrior or just make believe) so must have been half term since the special operation started :cry: i've never known such a small group of individuals have such a widespread, high level of expertise in such diverse fields.
If you read the forums a lot you'll realise there's quite a mixed bag. So not just little boys but some very knowledgeable and involved individuals who are willing to divulge their expert opinions on matters. It doesn't take a General to be an expert. In fact, Generals are far from experts and are, y'know, generalists who rely on their experts to advise them in their decision making process.

Soldato
If you read the forums a lot you'll realise there's quite a mixed bag. So not just little boys but some very knowledgeable and involved individuals who are willing to divulge their expert opinions on matters. It doesn't take a General to be an expert. In fact, Generals are far from experts and are, y'know, generalists who rely on their experts to advise them in their decision making process.
i do read the forums a lot and do realise there's quite a mixed bag. i also know there's some very knowledgeable people on the forums in general (much less so in threads like this for obvious reasons) but the ones seemingly prepared to go on and on are the same old names that pop up as experts in multiple threads.

admittedly i was being a bit over dramatic when i said the thread was 'full' of little boys. i concede that's a little unfair. however i still stand by my statement that there are a hardcore group of individuals who seem to roam from thread to thread positioning themselves as experts on any given issue when they clearly aren't.

Soldato
you've missed my point (or i may not have articulated it very well, apologies if that is the case) - i've no issue with discussion and debate etc. i'm always more than happy to listen to opposing views (when they aren't a load of obviously made up guff :p)

my 'moan' is with the small number of individuals who regularly appear and set themselves up as some sort of authority on a particular subject (or rather on any subject)

don't mistake me recognizing a small number of posters for what they are with not wanting debate or discussion.

I do not know why people like to live in an echo chamber, however equally, there is not much use for debate in the majority of issues, its just procrastination and a waste of time.

I can give you an opposing view, but i dont think you will be happy to listen to it, nobody ever is, they call me a madman.

Soldato
i do read the forums a lot and do realise there's quite a mixed bag. i also know there's some very knowledgeable people on the forums in general (much less so in threads like this for obvious reasons) but the ones seemingly prepared to go on and on are the same old names that pop up as experts in multiple threads.

admittedly i was being a bit over dramatic when i said the thread was 'full' of little boys. i concede that's a little unfair. however i still stand by my statement that there are a hardcore group of individuals who seem to roam from thread to thread positioning themselves as experts on any given issue when they clearly aren't.
I know what you mean. I don't mind it though, some of it makes for good entertainment :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
I do not know why people like to live in an echo chamber, however equally, there is not much use for debate in the majority of issues, its just procrastination and a waste of time.

I can give you an opposing view, but i dont think you will be happy to listen to it, nobody ever is, they call me a madman.
apologies my post you quoted was incorrectly formatted - i most definitely do not want to live in an echo chamber.

Caporegime
I wonder what's actually happened to Admiral Osipov? Would have been the highest ranking officer killed if he didn't survive the evacuation (though somehow I doubt he was with his flagship) which the Kremlin would do anything to avoid highlighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom