Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Why single out Germany when loads of European countries are using the same approach?

Payment is made in Euros, at prices set in Euros, gets converted into roubles by the Russian bank. Literally the only difference between this, and what was happening before is that instead of the conversion from Euros->Roubles being carried out directly by Gazprom it gets carried out by Gazprombank in an account linked to Germany (well, German gas companies) and then sent to Gazprom. Why is that a problem?
Because it is designed to circumvent EU sanctions and support the rouble.

Soldato
Why single out Germany when loads of European countries are using the same approach?
I think its because of the size, power and influence of Germany that people are shocked that they have been so outmaneuvered.

I can understand why they have to go along with it for now. But I hope this whole situation as been a wakeup call for Germany.

Soldato
I think its because of the size, power and influence of Germany that people are shocked that they have been so outmaneuvered.

I can understand why they have to go along with it for now. But I hope this whole situation as been a wakeup call for Germany.

In the 70's the Middle East oil was turned off for the UK. We are importing from those regions now. Trade will continue from Russia once this war is finished. With humans, if there is money to be made, there will be buyers. Germany will alsmost certainly import from Russia again, after a while, as it is more convenient having the stuff delivered via a pipeline.

Soldato
[May 02 2022, 13:33:30 BST]: EU’s Simson: Russia’s Demand on Payments an Attempt to Divide
[May 02 2022, 13:35:39 BST]: EU’s Simson: EU Commission Has No Information That Any Country or Company Has Been Paying For Energy in Roubles
[May 02 2022, 13:37:11 BST]: EU’s Simson: No Details yet on Timing of New Package Of Sanctions Against Russia

[May 02 2022, 13:49:54 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Calls for Immediate Oil and Gas Sanctions on Russia
[May 02 2022, 13:50:29 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Poland Is Proud to Be on Putin’s List of Unfriendly Countries
[May 02 2022, 13:51:16 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Poland’s Gas Storages Will Be Filled for the Winter
[May 02 2022, 13:51:51 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Poland Is Ready to Be Fully Independent From Russian Oil
[May 02 2022, 13:52:12 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Poland Can Support Other Countries to Become Independent From Russian Fossil Fuels
[May 02 2022, 13:54:49 BST]: Polish Energy Minister: Poland Proposes to Levy Solidarity Tax for Countries That Don’t Support Russian Oil Embargo

[May 02 2022, 14:10:52 BST]: Germany’s Climate Minister: A Russian Oil Embargo Must Be Well-Prepared to Prevent Economic Damage
[May 02 2022, 14:11:57 BST]: Germany’s Climate Minister: Germany Has Been Preparing Itself to Be Able to Support a Ban on Russian Oil
[May 02 2022, 14:15:42 BST]: Germany’s Climate Minister: Important to Not Let Emotions Drive Decisions on Russian Oil Ban
[May 02 2022, 14:16:37 BST]: Germany's Economy Minister: Russia Could Cut Gas Supplies to Germany Like It Did With Poland
[May 02 2022, 14:17:05 BST]: Germany’s Climate Minister: Germany Is Ready to Support Ban on Russian Oil
[May 02 2022, 14:17:40 BST]: Germany’s Climate Minister: We Have to Be Mindful of the More Difficult Situation in Other Countries
[May 02 2022, 14:20:46 BST]: Germany's Economy Minister: Germany Is Not Against an Oil Ban on Russia
— RTRS
S1TzYBz.png
Sy3Ud9H.png
TouIoPk.png
5u3byA5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The infographic on russian TV that went along with the "UK will be sunk" comment showed a nuke hitting the UK directly and then it sort of dissolves in to blue. So I'm not sure the Russian military literally argued they'd created a tsunami bomb, I think a pundit on TV was claiming a single sarmat would be enough to "destroy" the UK, it's just hyperbole not an actual factual claim.

Permabanned
Whether an undersea nuclear explosion could or could not cause a devastating tsunami on UK coastal towns I have no idea, I leave that to the nuclear physicists and tsunami experts in here to mull, but the Russians sure like to add drama to any killings.

Not for them the single bullet, or a silent garrotting, but rather a poisoned pellet delivered from an umbrella on a London street, a deadly nerve agent on a door handle, or a rare radioactive substance in someone's drink. The drama and delivery is of ian Fleming's novels level :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
In the 70's the Middle East oil was turned off for the UK. We are importing from those regions now. Trade will continue from Russia once this war is finished. With humans, if there is money to be made, there will be buyers. Germany will alsmost certainly import from Russia again, after a while, as it is more convenient having the stuff delivered via a pipeline.

Oh the world is completely hypocritical. The only reason countries and companies are sticking the boot in on Russia is because its in their best interests to do so. We don't give a **** about Ukraine, much like we don't give a **** about all the other countries that are in a mess right now. We care because it on our doorstep, Russia will keep doing this if allowed to and its fundamentally dangerous for the power and stability of the EU. The minute companies think they can go back into Russia and start making money again they will and the instant we feel we can start trading with Russia again we will have those pipelines back on in an instant.

Bojo is just being a jumped up little ***** to try and salvage his job. He knows that he is basically teflon but perhaps he has pushed his luck a bit too far over the past few years and this should be enough to get the idiots to vote for him again.

The infographic on russian TV that went along with the "UK will be sunk" comment showed a nuke hitting the UK directly and then it sort of dissolves in to blue. So I'm not sure the Russian military literally argued they'd created a tsunami bomb, I think a pundit on TV was claiming a single sarmat would be enough to "destroy" the UK, it's just hyperbole not an actual factual claim.

It just feels a little sad. They are so obsessed with the UK and how irrelevant we that they have to keep talking about us. Its like when your friend breaks up with their girlfriend and tells you constantly how much they don't care and how they never cared and shut up about them!

You're trying a little too hard right now Russia.

Associate

A lot of German's and even those in power do not, and will not seek Germany to be a powerful or influential country on the world stage (despite it being a fact it is). Goes back to history. I think it should be more leading however these days.

The entire Green / left wing side of politics was massively anti Nuclear a long time ago - Fukushima resulted in the phase out of Nuclear in Germany. Those people are still very happy about it, but completely ignored the fact it had to be replaced by something and that something was lignite coal (mined in Germany) and Russian Gas.
This was not the whole population of course - a lot knew this would be the result. It isn't anything to do with being outmanoeuvred - it was a stupid decision by the German government to become reliant on Russian Gas. It couldn't just immediately decide to halt imports of Russian gas - you'd have no heating for homes, lack of electricity and manufacturing would be trashed. Right at the time when it needs to recover after covid. How things are now the weather is better I don't know, but you'd really hope the government put all of it's efforts to get off Russian Gas as quickly as physically possible. Most here want the same.

I think the amount of money now being pumped to re-arm Germany (it's armed forces have been a joke for some time equipment wise) and I hope a push to get out of Russian gas shows it has woken up to a point. These is also the argument that Germany hasn't supplied enough arms to Ukraine - the reality is Germany just doesn't have the stocks to do so. It has the money - which is why it's given Ukraine billions of EUR to buy arms from other countries. But it can't supply it itself. Amusing considering there are massive arms manufacturers here and just goes to show Germany hasn't been pulling it's weight militarily for a long time - that's partly again because of history but also because of Merkel.

Soldato
nXybdhG.png
215tdOP.png
lZtpi8Q.png
z91o31G.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed. But then I love the fact that our tiny little 'irrelevant' island gets so far under their skin and makes big bad Russia seethe so hard.
We compete on GDP.
We project power across the world equally if not better than the Russians.
We have equal UN status and as a nuclear power also we are not bullied.
We have managed not to become subservient on power requirements (somehow).

We are all Victoria's children. /jk

Permabanned
The age old adage about not putting all one's eggs in one basket is one the German government would have been well to heed, and if they lacked the gumption to realize this one savvy man made the point about it concisely and clearly, very publicly. But perhaps blind political hatred got the better of people and any of his utterances were immediately condemned as irrational and irrelevant.

Having an extra 2 million plus probaly mainly unproductive mouths to feed, house and keep warm hasn't done them any favours either.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of German's and even those in power do not, and will not seek Germany to be a powerful or influential country on the world stage (despite it being a fact it is). Goes back to history. I think it should be more leading however these days.

The entire Green / left wing side of politics was massively anti Nuclear a long time ago - Fukushima resulted in the phase out of Nuclear in Germany. Those people are still very happy about it, but completely ignored the fact it had to be replaced by something and that something was lignite coal (mined in Germany) and Russian Gas.
This was not the whole population of course - a lot knew this would be the result. It isn't anything to do with being outmanoeuvred - it was a stupid decision by the German government to become reliant on Russian Gas. It couldn't just immediately decide to halt imports of Russian gas - you'd have no heating for homes, lack of electricity and manufacturing would be trashed. Right at the time when it needs to recover after covid. How things are now the weather is better I don't know, but you'd really hope the government put all of it's efforts to get off Russian Gas as quickly as physically possible. Most here want the same.

I think the amount of money now being pumped to re-arm Germany (it's armed forces have been a joke for some time equipment wise) and I hope a push to get out of Russian gas shows it has woken up to a point. These is also the argument that Germany hasn't supplied enough arms to Ukraine - the reality is Germany just doesn't have the stocks to do so. It has the money - which is why it's given Ukraine billions of EUR to buy arms from other countries. But it can't supply it itself. Amusing considering there are massive arms manufacturers here and just goes to show Germany hasn't been pulling it's weight militarily for a long time - that's partly again because of history but also because of Merkel.
Germany has never stopped mining its own lignite. There are three massive open cast mines producing the stuff. They shut down others over the years due to costs.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Germany had no idea at the time this situation would arise and the stuff piped made lots of sense. The better weather will make little difference. Germany has been moving away from gas since 2004

It is a slow process but heat pumps have increased a lot in that time.

Paradoxically the more Germany spends on re-armament the less it has to use for alternatives to gas. Germany has benefitted a lot since WW2 by not spending money on the latest big bang generals want.

Soldato
5. Who even mentioned them?
Apologies to quote you but relevant, it seems the Ukraine security services mentioned them

The occupiers intended to groundlessly accuse Ukraine and our partners of attacking the aircraft. To carry out the provocation, the perpetrators wanted to fire at a civilian aircraft from a portable anti-aircraft missile system (MANPADS) Stinger.

Like I said, the story is probably just that, a story

Associate
Germany has never stopped mining its own lignite. There are three massive open cast mines producing the stuff. They shut down others over the years due to costs.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Germany had no idea at the time this situation would arise and the stuff piped made lots of sense. The better weather will make little difference. Germany has been moving away from gas since 2004

It is a slow process but heat pumps have increased a lot in that time.

Paradoxically the more Germany spends on re-armament the less it has to use for alternatives to gas. Germany has benefitted a lot since WW2 by not spending money on the latest big bang generals want.

I know, I live not far from many of them. The others were shut down over the last few decades - lots have been made into lakes. They didn't shut the rest down though, which they should have.

A lot of sensible people over here said at the time both for a reliance standpoint and even more an environmental point it was a bad decision.

Heat pumps do help, but huge numbers of German's live in apartments in cities - lots certainly in the East have communal heating which is all gas powered.

Indeed it has benefited a lot by not spending on arms, it's security has been met by others (still huge numbers of US servicemen and bases here). The numbers of serviceable aircraft has been a national joke for many years, so it has spent some money - and then let them fall apart or not upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom