Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Having the tech is not comparable to having the logistical structure (spare parts, proprietary knowledge) and decades of human capital behind it.
The knowledge of tech will eventually lead to the above. Just look at China how much they have advanced in the last 25 years. They were behind Russia and now they are far more advanced.

Caporegime
The knowledge of tech will eventually lead to the above. Just look at China how much they have advanced in the last 25 years. They were behind Russia and now they are far more advanced.
Because a superpower is yet to git gud at something doesn't mean that somone else hasn't already done it (they have, at least twice) nor that it's unlikely (it is not, that's the bit where 'super' becomes important) but carry on, no harm no foul (apart from the harm part)

Permabanned
Because a superpower is yet to git gud at something doesn't mean that somone else hasn't already done it (they have, at least twice) nor that it's unlikely (it is not, that's the bit where 'super' becomes important) but carry on, no harm no foul (apart from the harm part)

The west is losing to the East, we all know that, but we don't want to admit that. We need to admit we are losing before we can pull ahead of them.

Soldato
Soldato
Where are we going to get the materials and know-how to upscale wartime production?

Materials currently imported to a grave degree and knowledge has been left to rot due to fanatical adherence to globalisation without respecting strategic boundaries.
The government kind of addressed a small part of the problem with buying out forgemasters in Sheffield for the MoD

Soldato
They advanced primarily due to espionage, they still can't even make decent jet engines for thier fighters, without all that stealing they would be nowhere still

Just like Russia, China is full of super killer duper weapons and like Russia they probably aren't as good as they make out.

Western tech is pretty well proven.

Permabanned
Losing in what?

The west is losing to the East, we all know that, but we don't want to admit that. We need to admit we are losing before we can pull ahead of them.
They may not be, but remember they invented the 4 most popular items in the world.
Remember they have higher average IQ than us, and remember Russian iq is low.

Soldato

Putin orders transfer of Sakhalin, stealing western tech is now the way forward, they have always done this look at the 90s. Expect the same from China, west lost their technical advantage.​

Not really, stealing current tech is pointless as new tech is always in development with counter measures against it being designed in.

Soldato
mGwxyMP.png
*Russian Defence Ministry: Russian Forces Destroyed Five Ukrainian Army Command Posts in Donbas and Mykolaiv Region With High-Precision Weapons — IFAX
*Russian Defence Ministry: Russian Air Force Struck Ukrainian Weapons and Equipment Base at Tractor Factor in Kharkiv — TASS

Soldato
*Russian Defence Ministry: Russian Forces Destroyed Five Ukrainian Army Command Posts in Donbas and Mykolaiv Region With High-Precision Weapons — IFAX
*Russian Defence Ministry: Russian Air Force Struck Ukrainian Weapons and Equipment Base at Tractor Factor in Kharkiv — TASS

Russians trying to deprive the Ukrainians of tractors to protect their own materiel?

Soldato
Soldato
A Russian ice hockey star who signed a million-dollar contract with an American team was rounded up by Russian plain-clothes policemen and taken to an army enlistment office yesterday before he's expected to be sent to fight in Ukraine.

Olympian Ivan Fedotov, 25, was reportedly rushed into Putin's army after he was filmed being detained by a squad of officers outside an ice rink in St Petersburg.

Soldato
Ofcourse not and I have never said this war is justified no matter what these posters say, this is just their attempts at smearing me to discredit any points I make.

This is where I stand:
  • I do not agree that all governments did their best to avert war, this includes Ukraine, USA, Russia.
  • I do not agree we should be cheering the suffering of ordinary Russian people because of Putins war...ie cheering that they are out of food.
  • I do not think people should ignore the suffering of the Ukrainian people just because it means more dead Russian soldiers.
  • I do not agree with the rampant Russophobia that is going on
  • I do not agree with all the lies that are spewed.

This is what I wrote previously, it has a link to a very good Guardian article wrote around the start of the war definitely worth a read.

Some here might have more experiencing than I dealing with Russians, though from my own varied experience and perspective which includes:
  • One of my closest friends being born in St Petersburg (same place Putin was brought up), living in Severomorsk, near the Murmansk naval base where his Dad worked.
  • Me, for several years having a Russian girlfriend whose mother owned a bar in Soviet times and apparently used to inform for the KGB
  • Being lucky not be killed by a Russian policeman, though still unlucky enough for him to dislocate and break my elbow for no other reason than he felt like doing it.
I understand your push back against what you perceive and refer to as Russophobia and I myself stating pretty much what was written in the Guardian article you linked.

Many years ago I had a conversation with my aforementioned Russian friend stating that a similar thing that happened in Georgia in 2008 might also happen in Ukraine. I was frankly surprised at the time it hadn't happened already and he presciently replied, "All in good time..." and here we are today.

Though from my own experience and perspective, Russians in this regards, are just the worst people ever and lack any kind of moral decency. They just do whatever they want and don't give a **** about anybody else. It's one of the reasons that corruption is normalised there. When you see it first hand coming from a western upbringing it does really make you sit up and pay attention.

There really was no need for Putin to go into Ukraine in the cavalier way that he did. Ukraine joining NATO was off the table as long as the problems in the east of Ukraine still existed.

The most at a push he 'needed' to do was officially support the separatists in the east, rather than pretend it had nothing to do with Russia. But to try and invade pretty much the whole of Ukraine like he has done is just... "Russian", I can't find another word for it!

So whatever you perceive the West being at fault for in this geopolitical game of chess, as far as I am concerned Russians deserve all the opprobrium they get and more.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I understand your push back against what you perceive and refer to as Russophobia and I myself stating pretty much what was written in the Guardian article you linked.

A large amount of what that poster is referring to as "Russophobia" is simply people commenting on current events and only appears as Russophobia when reframed or taken out of the original context as that poster is doing - not sure if that is due to their preconceptions meaning they can only see people's posts in a certain way or intentionally done.

The number of posts displaying prejudice, etc. or enjoying seeing Russian's suffer, etc. in this thread are a tiny percentage.

Again with the accusations of lies, etc. it is what that poster expects or wants to see, it is telling they have to distort people's posts with constant rubbish to make it look like people are saying what those with a heavy pro-Russian bias expect Western people's opinion to be - again by far the majority of posters in here have taken a fairly open position - no one actually believes there is an actual specific "Ghost of Kyiv", etc.

That poster also seems unable to comprehend, maybe intentionally so, that appeasement rarely avoids the longer term issue when dealing with a regime like Russia - there might have been more Western governments could have done to avoid the suffering we've seen so far in the short term but allowing the likes of Putin to further their goals in the short term just means tackling a bigger problem and an even larger amount of suffering in the longer term - which has been proven time and time again historically. Even assuming any degree of sincerity to that poster's stated opinion it is blue sky type thinking at best. That doesn't mean anyone is indifferent to the suffering of the Ukrainian people just being realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom