Ultrabook/thin laptop wish list - Buying end of summer

Soldato
I've just recieved the Sony vaio S13P with i7 (2.9Ghz, Ivy bridge), blue ray player, switchable 1GB 640M LE, 4GB ram and 1600 * 900 premium anti-glare screen. Not to mention a carbon fibre lid!

I got it with the 320GB 5400rpm drive but swapped this out with a 128GB crucial M4. This thing absolutely flies with an SSD. cold boot times are ~10 seconds. One thing to note however is that the speeds are limited to Sata II. Theres a discussion on-going about this on notebook forum. Some users report Sata III randomly.

I'll be sticking in an extra 4GB of ram at some point too.

The laptop was £950 but getting ~£50 back through quidco so total cost inc. SSD was around £1k

So far I'm extremely impressed with it. It's a joy to use.

Soldato
Gigabyte U2442N

Spec seems almost perfect, although Gigabyte are hardly renowned as a Laptop manufacturer...

exact same specs as the new Sony S, even down to ports and weight. What's the price going to be on this? I suspect the sony will be a better built laptop so if they're competing in the same price bracket (£900 - £1000) then the sony is a no-brainer

Caporegime
Check out the Acer Ultrabook range, they have quality and feel similar to a Macbook Air.

Unfortunately they have low-res glossy displays, so that completely ruled them out for me.

This, they are basically built to a price point (seems Acer still can;t get out of it's old habits) and are generally pretty poor with performance and battery life.

Associate
OP
第一次感動~U2442N(開箱) - Mobile01

Have a look at that link for lots of pictures of the Gigabyte laptop. Not sure how he managed to get his hands on one... (use google translate and then you have to click on all the links where it says 'picture' to load all the images)

Looks great, really hoping it is released in the next month. If the reviews are good, definitely looks like its at the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom