Underwater photography!

Associate
Are there any underwater photographers in the house? I need a bit of advice, I'm in a dilemma! I have a choice of a canon g10 + canon underwater housing + underwater flash + wide angle wet lens or a canon s95 and ikelite housing and I don't know which to go for?
The g10 setup is a bit more than the s95 but is a complete kit, but I've been reading rave reviews of the s95's underwater capabilities!

The camera would be used above water too. So which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I've just gone from a fuji 31fd to a G12 for underwater.

The custom WB on a single(programable) button is a real winner. The other option i wanted was RAW.

I guess you've tried the underwater camera shop that i can't link? They have a clearance housing for the s95.

Underwater strobes are useless over about 2 meters. If your after that to keep the colours stop now. Learn WB and use that.

P.S. the ike housings can be massive!

Associate
OP
Well I've just sold my 7d and kit. I'm of to Egypt next month diving so it'll be for snorkelling & scuba to 40m. The blue, yes I've seen that housing on the certain store. My heart is telling me to go for the g10 complete kit but the cheap side of me is saying get the s95 and the clearance housing. The ike housing for the s95 looks pretty compact from what I've seen.
As said in the 1st post I'd be using it above water too.
Russinating how's the s95 for general use? Does it handle noise well at higher iso?

Soldato
Ah that's a shame. I'm off to Malaysia next month (7th-28th) which is what I need it for, and thought we might have been able to go halves on a housing if we needed it at different times and only on a temporary basis.

Couldn't comment on the noise tbh as I normally always use slow-sync flash when I'm using it at night, although I could take a couple of shots tonight.

Associate
OP
Haha i'm off on the 6th till the 17th! That would've been a good idea. I think i've decided to go for the G10 full kit and if i dont like it sell the G10 + housing and keep the strobe to use with another camera like the s95/s100.

Soldato
I loved my F31 :) I got through a few of them diving. Manual WB was a pain but you soon learn the key combos.

Taken with f31.
http://ccgi.theblue.plus.com/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=48

normal_image002.jpg

Manual WB

Although not a great pic this shows you the scope of an underwater flash. 60 odd cm in the background and the flash has dissipated.
http://ccgi.theblue.plus.com/cpg1414/albums/wpw-20091204/normal_image151.jpg

normal_beam1_%281%29.jpg

'I' beam on a wrek in scotland. Note the flash tapering off after about 2 feet.

If this is your 1st UW camera get just the camera and housing. Next get a wide angle. Then get a (good) strobe.

Learn manual WB first, learn the keys, learn what surfaces to WB on (back of hands, pointing at the sun, back of buddie cylinder etc).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well last year when we went to sharm el sheikh I bought the underwater housing for the gf's lumix tz-6 and although we got some great pics I felt it was very limiting (no manual controls, no custom wb). The housings for my 7d were massive and had a price tag to match.

This is the kit ive decided to go for, second hand but well looked after -
The kit includes (everything in original boxes):
-G10 boxed with all orig bits
-Canon underwater housing - good to 40m
-Fuji remora flash unit with fibre optic cable
-flash flexi arm and bracket
-Fantasea bigeye wide angle wet lens
-Bigeye grabber (holds fantasea lens onto flash bracket when not in use)
-Canon buoyancy weights.

If I don't get on with the G10 I'll just sell it and the housing and try the s95 or other setup.
I'll add some pics after my holiday too :D
Loving the pictures The_blue!!

Back
Top Bottom