Unhappy due to lack of money...

Associate
I have a job but it doesn't pay well and it's in London so by he te I've paid for my flat share train fair there's just enough left for food. I have a good job and I'm lucky with that.

I'm not unhappy due to low numbers in the bank it's what the money allows me to do. I love creating beautiful things out of wood metal electronics and I'm being stopped from doing this. I know a lot others are worse off but this isn't trivial for me, it's who I am and I'm depressed because of it. I don't even have a little of money left over each monh to save to try to be a bit business like and earn myself about of extra money somehow.

I don't even have enough to ask a nice girl to have a coffee or something!

Associate
OP
I assume you were not born in London, Why not look for a job outside London that will allow you to live your life the way you wish?

Despite the money the job is a very good opportunity for me and my career and jobs these days i guess.

move out of london

I tried living further out but the train cost makes it not worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions what do you guys think to money makes you happy?

Caporegime
I have a job but it doesn't pay well and it's in London so by he te I've paid for my flat share train fair there's just enough left for food. I have a good job and I'm lucky with that.

I'm not unhappy due to low numbers in the bank it's what the money allows me to do. I love creating beautiful things out of wood metal electronics and I'm being stopped from doing this. I know a lot others are worse off but this isn't trivial for me, it's who I am and I'm depressed because of it. I don't even have a little of money left over each monh to save to try to be a bit business like and earn myself about of extra money somehow.

I don't even have enough to ask a nice girl to have a coffee or something!

Can I ask what job you have? Maybe there's a few things you could do or train for in order to improve your salary!

Bes

Bes

Soldato
It is mental the cost of living in London -esp if you want to be anywhere near the centre (Zones 1-4) - I would say it's hard to have any form of a decent life unless you earn over £50,000. In the years when I was earning less than that, it was hard to do anything at all.

Could you move out and keep your level of pay around the same?

Soldato
Unless you are very lucky that's commonly the way it goes in London, start off on a poor wage but good opportunities and suck it up for a year or 2 until you get promoted / pay increase.

Your not doing anything daft like renting in Chelsea are you?

Caporegime
It is mental the cost of living in London -esp if you want to be anywhere near the centre (Zones 1-4) - I would say it's hard to have any form of a decent life unless you earn over £50,000. In the years when I was earning less than that, it was hard to do anything at all.

Could you move out and keep your level of pay around the same?

He said he is in a flat share already, so I guess he can't be paying too much for rent?

Man of Honour
Punctuation is free.

In sightly more helpful mode though: does your career have prospects in terms of increasing your earning potential? If it is a matter of just sucking it up for a while, then not so bad.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
He said he is in a flat share already, so I guess he can't be paying too much for rent?

All depends. I know people that pay £700PM to flatshare in Clapham North (Admittedly they have a really nice place) whilst earning <£30K. That is going to put anyone on a middling income under pressure.
I am just going off personal experience really - even earning £1500 a month after tax (30,000-ish salary?) you are not going to have much left after paying say £450 flat share, Oyster card, council tax, bills, etc. so I understand the OP's predicament. £450 a month in somewhere like Leeds gets you a decent flat to yourself or a small house just out of the city.

Caporegime
Thanks for the suggestions what do you guys think to money makes you happy?

Having lots of surplus money in itself won't necessarily make you feel happy but I'd certainly agree that not having enough can make you unhappy.

What do you do for a living and what sort of hours do you work - is there another company you could move to for a pay increase, could you become self employed or even take a second job temporarily. What area of London do you live in - you could probably save money on rent if you look around.

Caporegime
All depends. I know people that pay £700PM to flatshare in Clapham North (Admittedly they have a really nice place) whilst earning <£30K. That is going to put anyone on a middling income under pressure.
I am just going off personal experience really - even earning £1500 a month after tax (30,000-ish salary?) you are not going to have much left after paying say £450 flat share, Oyster card, council tax, bills, etc. so I understand the OP's predicament. £450 a month in somewhere like Leeds gets you a decent flat to yourself or a small house just out of the city.

Ok I bow to your greater experience, i've (thankfully) never lived in London so I admit I don't know the full total of costs there. Seems like the average quality of life is pretty bad on anything less than 30k.

Back
Top Bottom