Poll: United States Grand Prix 2017, Austin - Race 17/20

Rate the 2017 USA Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
EuKD0B0.png
Austin
The 2012 season saw Formula One racing return to the United States for the first time since 2007 with an all-new venue in Austin, Texas. The Circuit of The Americas (COTA) is the first purpose-built F1 facility in the US designed for any and all classes of racing and was officially opened on October 21, 2012 by COTA ambassador and 1978 F1 world champion, Mario Andretti.

Its signature element is a 5.5-kilometre (3.4-mile) Grand Prix circuit, located southeast of the Texan capital, and designed by Hermann Tilke in collaboration with American architectural firm HKS.

The 20-turn, anticlockwise track, construction of which began in January 2011, draws inspiration from the best circuits around the world, as well as taking advantage of the site's natural topography to include dramatic elevation changes of up to 40 metres.

There is a steep, uphill run into the hairpin Turn One, which instantly became the venue's signature corner. Turns Three through Six look not dissimilar to Silverstone's high-speed Maggotts/Becketts; Turns 12 through 15 give a nod to Hockenheim's stadium section; and Turns 16 through 18 mirror the famous, multi-apex Turn Eight at Istanbul Park.

The grandstands, semi-permanent stands and natural seating areas enable over 120,000 fans to attend the Grand Prix, but the circuit is only one part of the multi-functional 900-acre site.

Support buildings include a medical facility, 14 executive meeting suites, a conference centre and a banquet hall, as well as an expansive outdoor live music space. Future proposed amenities include a driving/riding experience, a motorsports driving club, kart track, grand plaza event centre and tower, and a trackside recreational vehicle park.

TV Times
Sky:
XvZDxf4.png

C4:
DVE1a31.png

Track Diagram & Information
A5v6F0O.png

Weather Forecast
e1BDCN4.png

2016 Onboard Lap
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2...lap_-_Lewis_Hamilton__United_States_2016.html

2016 Race Edit
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/10/Director's_Cut__United_States_2016.html

United States Preview Quotes
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/10/united-states-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings
cTGMcoD.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
WWdh5lj.png

Practice 1
M1xetut.png

Practice 2
9AHN2RF.png

Practice 3
4dnvAOF.png

Qualifying
p94NtR6.png

Race
QA9sbM3.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I really enjoy this circuit. Turn one is immense.

For the sake of the championship, Ferrari need a win and Mercedes need to fail. Trouble is, for the sake of the championship, we'd need the same scenario pretty much every week so I'm just hoping for a decent race and stuff the outcome.

Don
I'm just hoping for a decent race and stuff the outcome.

I'd be happy with anything better than 1 car driving off into the distance, whether that means Bottas challenging Hamilton, or the Ferraris or Red Bulls mixing it up a bit, not fussed. Best outcome might actually be for Ham/Vet to come together at the start, and then focus on some other drivers :)

Soldato
Cheers Shimmy. :)

I really enjoy this circuit. Turn one is immense.

For the sake of the championship, Ferrari need a win and Mercedes need to fail. Trouble is, for the sake of the championship, we'd need the same scenario pretty much every week so I'm just hoping for a decent race and stuff the outcome.

Turn 1? It's just a hairpin on a hill. The corners following it are far better. :cool:

Soldato
Turn 1? It's just a hairpin on a hill. The corners following it are far better. :cool:

Oh don't get me wrong - I love the corners that follow. But turn one, coming at the end of a long DRS straight with a braking zone that transitions from sharply uphill to near level, always has the potential to create some dramas and action. And because it is so wide and the exit position determines the speed through those next great few corners, an overtake can start at turn one and not complete until far later on the lap.

Associate
Being a Hamilton fan and a Vettel non-fan i'd like to see vettel have another terrible weekend and hamilton to take the title.

How Lewis Hamilton can win the Drivers' Championship
Hamilton needs to outscore Vettel by 16 points AND Bottas by three points in Austin to take the 2017 title with three races to spare.

That means:

• If Hamilton wins, he is world champion if Vettel finishes sixth or lower
  • If Hamilton finishes second, he is world champion if Vettel finishes ninth or lower and Bottas fails to win
  • If Hamilton finishes third, the title race goes on to Mexico
How Mercedes can win the Constructors' Championship

Holding a 145-point lead over Ferrari, Mercedes will win the Constructors' Championship for the fourth year in succession if they finish the Austin weekend holding a lead of at least 129 points.

That means Ferrari must outscore Mercedes by at least 17 points to keep in mathematical contention until Mexico.

• Mercedes are certain to clinch the Constructors' Championship if they win the race

Caporegime
Yeah I don't care about wdc I just want a good races. Be good to see Vettel giving it everything to beat Hamilton considering he needs to take risks

Man of Honour
will be missing it, unless I can find a pub in London showing it before Metallica concert.

edit - actually with that start time, ill just be missing it. didn't realise it was so late.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Sector 1 is a killer on a car with understeer. One turn running wide and you stuff up multiple turns and lose major time.

Can’t see anything but a Hamilton win unless “the diva” makes an appearance.

Soldato
Heading out to Houston tomorrow! Will actually be my first GP as an adult. Will be wandering the track Friday and trying to work out where to watch from as only got ga tickets.

Hoping Hamilton seals it but can't see it happening this weekend. Cars going thru the sweepers with this year's aero is going to be incredible to see. Hoping they can stay close enough before the back straight and that Drs isn't too much of an easy passing tool.

Soldato
Cars going thru the sweepers with this year's aero is going to be incredible to see. Hoping they can stay close enough before the back straight and that Drs isn't too much of an easy passing tool.
That's got to be the place to watch from, or the first corner hill if you can see down through the S's too. But most importantly, anywhere in front of a big screen so you can actually see the GP rather than one corner of it. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom