1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: United States Grand Prix 2021, Austin - Race 17

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, 19 Oct 2021.

?

Rate the 2021 United States Grand Prix out of ten

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

5.5%
  3. 3

5.5%
  4. 4

18.2%
  5. 5

18.2%
  6. 6

18.2%
  7. 7

21.8%
  8. 8

9.1%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10

3.6%
  1. Shimmy

Man of Honour

[​IMG]
    Austin

TV Times
    Sky:
    [​IMG]

C4:
    Sun - Quali Highlights 8.30am
    Mon - Race Highlights 12.05am

Track Diagram & Information
    [​IMG]

Weather Forecast
    [​IMG]

WDC Standings
    [​IMG]

Constructors' Championship Standings
    [​IMG]

Practice 1
    [​IMG]

Practice 2
    [​IMG]

Practice 3
    [​IMG]

Qualifying
    [​IMG]

Race
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Nov 2021
  2. EVH

Don

Anything less than a Lewis win, will seriously hurt his championship hopes.

Love the late quali/evening races... you can relax with a few beers and a takeaway :)

3. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Cheers @Shimmy.

Yep, it’s a track that Merc and Hamilton have done well at historically (although Lewis hasn’t actually won here the last couple of times out) and Max has never won here, so the stats are in Lewis’ favour… which probably means a Verstappen win and a Hamilton DNF. :o

4. JRS

Capodecina

Hopefully a Verstappen win and Hamilton second, I reckon him being beaten on-track will irritate the Lewisterical brigade even more than him DNFing.

/runs

/runs back in quickly

Oh yeah, was glancing at the points table and noted the respective tallies of the Ferrari drivers - when was the last time that team-mates were split by just half a point? I reckon post Malaysia '09, Trulli and Glock on 8.5 and 8 points respectively for Toyota, unless anyone knows better.

5. IPBA

Wise Guy

The Verstappen fans are no different hence you could say the same about him being beaten on track by Lewis as apposed to a DNF.

6. this_is_gav

Soldato

There hasn't been a race which hasn't reached 75% distance (and thus half points) until Spa 2021, so it's not been possible to be closer until then.

Indeed it's only ever happened six times in the 71 years of the F1 championship:
    • Spain 1975, Montjuïc Park (four spectators killed after Stommelen, the race leader, cleared the barrier after crashing when his rear wing failed. Numerous concerns at the safety of the track even before practice).
    • Austra 1975, Osterreichring (rain, with the winner, Brambilla, crashing as he went over the line).
    • Monaco 1984 (rain, infamously).
    • Australia 1991, Adelaide (rain, back straight littered with crashed cars, the race stopped soon after Mansell broke his foot after the first few corners).
    • Malaysia 2009, Sepang (rain).
    • Belgium 2021, Spa (not a race).

Still, it's not exactly 1984, when Lauda beat Prost to the championship by half a point.

7. Feek

Commissario

What a great idea!

8. poosemon

Wise Guy

/me Goes looking for any nowtv pass offers....

Midnight for the highlights on channel 4!

9. Mr Jack

Caporegime

Just checked in on Free Practice. Mercs over a second ahead! I hope Red Bull can get closer than that or the end stage of this season is going to be a damp squib.

Mate, you're an adult now. You can have beers with all the other races too. I remember, many years back, watching the Japanese GP in a pub - with whisky-and-orange - at about 6 in the morning.

10. Junglist

Sgarrista

It's a bit bumpy out there

11. Flibster

Caporegime

Yeah, it's pretty dreadful.

Apparently it's in better condition this year to last though, where some of the track was breaking up. Seems they have done some work to it. But still, MotoGP pretty much said the track was in such a state that if it's not fixed the won't return.

12. EVH

Don

It flooded a few years ago which screwed the underground drainage, leading to ground movement and bumpy tarmac.

I suspect we will see some people locking up under load, especially in quali.

13. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Looks like merc will win the remaining races. Even Mexico isn’t certain with that pace. As expected red bull have been out developed.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2021
  14. Junglist

Sgarrista

I don't see that happening. They were always going to be strong here but they'll be weak at Mexico

15. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

We’ll see I guess, they don’t seem weak anywhere with whatever they’ve developed. 2018 all over again, more or less. Mercedes are currently fastest in every sector, at best it’ll be equal in Mexico.

Edit: wow, no wonder they’ve gained pace. Mercedes never cease to amaze https://streamable.com/j0vhsx

16. CSMonkeh

Wise Guy

Another 5-place grid pen for Bottas, who then goes fastest in FP1

17. steve45

Mobster

This sort of stuff right there is what I love about F1, the ingenuity and creativity of F1 engineers is just mind blowing.

Love this track, you really see those cars working

18. EVH

Don

Horner to protest it in 3....2......

19. Ninco!

Wise Guy

:D

Red Bull did rattle Mercedes, the fallout from Silverstone and the PR shenanigans poked the tiger, I do think MB are now hellbent to beat Red Bull.

It is going to be close between the two.

20. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

I thought adjustable suspension was banned years ago. Wasnt there a Renault years ago before mass damper that used a trick interlinked suspension system that was banned? It’s soo tough to keep up with what is or isn’t allowed for development. There was talk that the Mercedes front wheel system wouldn’t be possible next year with the new regulations either, but this doesn’t seem to give the same benefit as this rear wheel system. Very cool development.