Soldato
Who de lidded the cpu? Was the issue there before de lidding ? Sounds like a ram issue to me, especially as you say the bios rests itself, that's a memory training issue, try with 1 stick of ram only in slot 2, see if it still does it.

I delidded a 4770k once, the old way, with a razor blade, before the tools were available, I thought it went successfully, I was wrong, upon putting it back in the socket, I could only run single channel mode on my ram, dual channel noonger worked, upon closer inspection of the cpu, barely visible, I had the tinyest knick in the pcb, you needed a magnifying glass to full see it, and that was the issue, severed one of the channels, needed a new cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Who de lidded the cpu? Was the issue there before de lidding ? Sounds like a ram issue to me, especially as you say the bios rests itself, that's a memory training issue, try with 1 stick of ram only in slot 2, see if it still does it.

I delidded a 4770k once, the old way, with a razor blade, before the tools were available, I thought it went successfully, I was wrong, upon putting it back in the socket, I could only run single channel mode on my ram, dual channel noonger worked, upon closer inspection of the cpu, barely visible, I had the tinyest knick in the pcb, you needed a magnifying glass to full see it, and that was the issue, severed one of the channels, needed a new cpu.
it was delidded by one of those ebay services, the cpu was brand new beforehand. i will try removing 1 of the ram sticks after i go on holiday, problem is i can only test whats causing the issue once per day. it was delidded with proper tools as far as im aware

Soldato
it was delidded by one of those ebay services, the cpu was brand new beforehand. i will try removing 1 of the ram sticks after i go on holiday, problem is i can only test whats causing the issue once per day. it was delidded with proper tools as far as im aware

OK, just make sure the one stick you leave in is in slot 2, the reason I ask this is it either sounds like memory controller which is in the cpu itself or the ram, maybe a compatability issue, which ram kit do you have, it defo sounds like it's trying to memory train but failing, it doesn't know what to do from there so it resets everything to default values.

Is the bios on the board upto date, often they fix memory issues in bios updates, although with the issues you are currently having, I'm not so sure a bios flash is a good idea, it could make things worse.

Failing that, if your board has the switches, you could try switching to the backup bios and see if that behaves the same.

Soldato
i have no idea if the bios is up to date actually, ive never updated it. i have corsair vengance rgb 3200mhz 16gb kit, brand new. if it is memory training but failing, what is causing it to eventually work? also if it does happen to be this ram problem, what can i do to solve it?

Check the manual, make sure you have the ram in the correct slots, if its just 2 sticks it should be in slot 2 and 4 not 1 and 3, those are the secondary slots for when running 4 sticks, its a very common mistake and causes all sorts of problems.

Next, if XMP is set in the bios, then it will be trying to boot at 3200mhz and its rated timings, however, if its failing to do that as it sounds like it is, it will revert and default to the stock settings which is 2133mhz with basic timings, known as JEDEC standard, which pretty much any chip can handle, then boot fine with those settings, but next time you switch off and switch back on again, once again, its trying to boot at XMP settings, failing, booting at default, so on so forth, a vicious circle.

It might be worth while going into the bios and checking your ram settings, disable XMP, hard set the timings in the bios, they will be in advanced memory settings, the timings you'll need will be on the side of the sticks on the sticker and set command rate to 2T, memory voltage to 1.35v and speed.....for now just set them to 2800mhz, give it a try, if it works fine, try a little faster.

Associate
I've had this problem since i made my PC in june and theres been no way to solve it. WHen i turn my pc on, it goes into a boot cycle, where it tries to boot and the fans start going and the lights are on, and then suddenly the power cuts out (you can hear a click on the psu), it automatically tries to turn on again and this keeps happening for ages. it...
From that statement, my first impression is something is not quite right on the PSU. Watching the video, my gut is saying a capacitor has failed. Would explain why it would "start" to power up and then drop off - if a capacitor is not charging to a sufficient level to discharge continuously.

My personal approach to troubleshooting it would be to disconnect all fans (except connected to your AIO cooler), HDD/SSDs, remove the graphics card, leave one stick of RAM in (as mentioned) and attempt to power up.
If still failing at that point, do you still have the components from your last build? If so, dust them off and setup that rig with your PSU and check to see if error repeats.

Associate
I would say either psu, or your motherboard may be shorting to the case or cpu cooler.
try reseating the cpu coolers back plate and check you have the correct motherboard stand offs as if one touches the wrong part it would cause similar issues.
or those.
The psu sounds like its either an over current click or a short protection click

Associate
It can be a short. I had this recently (powers on, flips off prior to post, comes back on fine), it was the mobo shorting on the case. I was using the mobo screws from the previous case instead of the ones that came with it. Plus one of the pre installed risers wasn't tightened properly so was a little more proud than the rest. Also I double checked the IO plate and only just tightened the mobo screws. Not sure which of those was causing the short but it's been perfect since (thanks to the forum for sorting me out and pointing me in the right direction).

Don
Strip it all out of the case and try an absolutely minimal build laying on something non-metallic (e.g. on top of motherboard box)

Psu, Motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of ram, os drive, gpu. If you have an air cooler lying around then use that, you don't need any other fans etc connected.

If it works then something's likely shorting.

If not then I'd suggest getting hold of another psu to try.

Soldato
Shorting was my first thought too - risers not properly installed or something like that.

Totally strip it all out and put back the bare minimum as mentioned and see if it works but make damn sure you use the mounting risers for the motherboard correctly when screwing it into your case

Associate
OP
Shorting was my first thought too - risers not properly installed or something like that.

Totally strip it all out and put back the bare minimum as mentioned and see if it works but make damn sure you use the mounting risers for the motherboard correctly when screwing it into your case
when you say be damn sure is there some kind of danger with it? i dont know what risers are so im assuming you mean the screws i use to fix the motherboard in where theres 1 in the centre that sticks out, i know that 1 or 2 of them arent actually screwed in because the motherboard doesnt fit or i cant seem to rotate it correctly

Soldato
when you say be damn sure is there some kind of danger with it? i dont know what risers are so im assuming you mean the screws i use to fix the motherboard in where theres 1 in the centre that sticks out, i know that 1 or 2 of them arent actually screwed in because the motherboard doesnt fit or i cant seem to rotate it correctly

Yes they are designed in such a way as to ensure you motherboard makes no direct contact with your case - otherwise it may short.

You very often don’t need to use all the holes in the motherboard - it’s dependent on the mounting points in your case as much anything else

Soldato
as for the click in my psu, i think that does happen every time i turn my pc off normally.
That's bypass relay of inrush current limiting NTC.
PSUs have always had NTC resistor to limit empty state current draw of primary capacitor when PSU is powered on.
While its resistance lowers after warming up, it still wastes power, so modern PSUs use delayed relay to bypass it.
And when PSU shuts down from controlled shutdown of PC, or from some HW problem in PS_ON signal systes, that relay "relaxes".

Soldato
ah right, and how come if its a short it would eventually start up anyway despite not being any movement, can this short circuit be dependant on temperature at all?
As far as I know, it can’t or at least shouldn’t be - never rule anything out though. It could be something else that is causing a short.

Like others have said, take it all apart and put back in the bare minimum and slowly add more (GPU, ram etc). That should exp you identify the culprit

Associate
OP
As far as I know, it can’t or at least shouldn’t be - never rule anything out though. It could be something else that is causing a short.

Like others have said, take it all apart and put back in the bare minimum and slowly add more (GPU, ram etc). That should exp you identify the culprit
Can i start the pc without an ssd or any ram

Soldato
You need memory to boot. You don't need any storage drives.

I haven't read the full thread, but have you tried taking it all out of the case and setting it up on the bench? The motherboard box usually makes a good platform.

I've always tested everything together before I install anything into the case. It can save a lot of time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom