Associate
OP
You need memory to boot. You don't need any storage drives.

I haven't read the full thread, but have you tried taking it all out of the case and setting it up on the bench? The motherboard box usually makes a good platform.

I've always tested everything together before I install anything into the case. It can save a lot of time and effort.
the issue happened today, and i tried disconnecting somethings to make it work. on the right side of my case where all the cables are its quite conjested, i disconnected and reconnected the ssd and one of the lighting for the case and then it magically worked again. probably a coincidence but ill find out in a few days if it really has fixed

Associate
I hope it's the fix you need.
As far as the short only happening when you first turn it on. It may be that the connection causing the short is not actual contact but arcing over a tiny distance, and when the pc is trying again it doesn't have the initial surge to cause the arc.
Total layman's hypothesis though. I haven't a clue as to the technicalities of PSU operation and only found out shorting on the case was a thing recently :D

Associate
OP
I hope it's the fix you need.
As far as the short only happening when you first turn it on. It may be that the connection causing the short is not actual contact but arcing over a tiny distance, and when the pc is trying again it doesn't have the initial surge to cause the arc.
Total layman's hypothesis though. I haven't a clue as to the technicalities of PSU operation and only found out shorting on the case was a thing recently :D
unfortunately still not fixed, but i have noticed something new. when i do try to turn it on, a red light lights above the error lighter and turns off once the pc has booted. ive looked in the manual and i cant find anything as to what it means though, might be in the video, just above the error led

Associate
I have been having a very similar problem recently. Exact same symptoms that you describe. I read on another site it could quite possibly have something to do with the CMOS battery being on it's way out as rare as that may seem. I changed mine for a new one and loaded in BIOS defaults and haven't had a issue since.

For something so cheap and easy to do it's surely worth giving a go.

Associate
OP
I have been having a very similar problem recently. Exact same symptoms that you describe. I read on another site it could quite possibly have something to do with the CMOS battery being on it's way out as rare as that may seem. I changed mine for a new one and loaded in BIOS defaults and haven't had a issue since. For something so cheap and easy to do it's surely worth giving a go.
great, can you tell me which exact battery it is and where it goes for a z370 gaming 7 aorus? dont wanna get the wrong battery and blow my pc up lol. ill defo give this a try

Soldato
It is the round silver battery on the motherboard, likely being held in by some clips. Just take it out and go to a watch repair shop or something similar and they can sell you the one you need.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Why can you only test once a day OP? This will go on forever unless you dedicate yourself to getting this resolved. Take everything out of the case and create a base build with the minimum to boot up. Do you know how to do this? Did you build the pc yourself?

Associate
Why can you only test once a day OP? This will go on forever unless you dedicate yourself to getting this resolved. Take everything out of the case and create a base build with the minimum to boot up. Do you know how to do this? Did you build the pc yourself?

Because once it works, it keeps working for the rest of the day - detailed in initial post.

This sounds like the PSU is faulty to me. I had a very similar problem myself a few years ago. My PC wouldn't power on, it would attempt to start up but would just keep stopping/starting itself. Eventually it would start up and then would be fine, even if I powered it down completely and then started it up again. It drove me mad for ages. Luckily my mate came over for some LAN gaming and the problem happened. We did some testing using his components and identified the PSU as the issue.

Back
Top Bottom