Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
... so when a tab crashes all off the tabs using that same process get taken out too ... but the others survive ?
I asume you cannot assign tabs to processes, so that reliable web-sites are on the same processor ?
(I run multiple browser sessions each with their own profile pre-quantum)

with the dom.ipc.processcount default =4, four content processes, and all of the tabs run in the same process as the crashed one get re-started ...
but, as I say, cannot see any way to allocate reliable web-sites to a particular process

Soldato
Printing from Outlook doesn't seem as good as it is in Chrome. Two issues my Dad is having.

In Chrome you can print emails easily as it scales the emails to the whole page. In FF Outlook displays the preview as full page but then prints in miniature.

Second issue is PDF's. It's shrinking PDF's printed form Outlook so need to print from Adobe instead.

All of this just works in Chrome.

Soldato
Printing from Outlook doesn't seem as good as it is in Chrome
similarly, I always print from explorer, and pdf's from PDF-xchange.

Since mid November release day of quantum, and deprecation of old non web-app extensions, I have seen problems with older FF49, periodically giving high cpu activity and even having rendering problems with a black window, this necessitates a FF kill/re-start - is it unrelated ?
[I already have the famous sesionerstore interval backed-off - still needed in quantum?]

38800964542_8a39db7a5c_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Since mid November release day of quantum, and deprecation of old non web-app extensions, I have seen problems with older FF49, periodically giving high cpu activity and even having rendering problems with a black window, this necessitates a FF kill/re-start - is it unrelated ?

Black windows have been an occasional Windows 10 thing with Chrome and Firefox on some systems (why exactly some and not all I have little clue, only surmise it could have to do with particular GPU low power states). Disabling Hardware Acceleration fixed it on mine, and someone else's (he also had to switch to Firefox + Hardware Acceleration disabled as it still happened occasionally with Chrome + Hardware Acceleration disabled). Since new Firefox update I re-enabled it and no black windows. Glad we have a few browser options around in case some don't work properly but it would be nice to know how to fix the issue without telling someone to change browser (if disabling that option doesn't work).

Soldato
Soldato
I like vivaldi, it's my daily at work now. It's built on chromium so the experience is much the same, just with more customisation options and better use of space on widescreen monitors(feature tabs down the side). The only reason i dont use it at home is the lag of google sync - i like having everything synced between my pc and y mobile devices.

One thing I have found since switching to FF from chrome is a lot of redirection pages to fake FF update sites.

The only way you should be updating FF is by opening the main menu. If there is an update available, it will say so on the top of the menu "Download Firefox update" on a coloured background. You can't miss it. If it's not there, then you are up to date.

Soldato
For me I'd only ever use two browsers. Chrome and FF.
opera has it's place an inbuilt vpn mechanism - so could see some usa catchup tv

space on widescreen monitors(feature tabs down the side)
agree this is essential ff57 has this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/vertical-tabs-reloaded/

The only way you should be updating FF is by opening the main menu.
.... but he want's to know why he is getting fakes ...I guess he has now checked for malicious adware

Soldato
I like vivaldi, it's my daily at work now. It's built on chromium so the experience is much the same, just with more customisation options and better use of space on widescreen monitors(feature tabs down the side). The only reason i dont use it at home is the lag of google sync - i like having everything synced between my pc and y mobile devices.

I use Vivaldi as my main browser, btw you know you can get sync in snapshot build right now?....https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/help-test-sync/

The synchronization functionality in the Vivaldi browser – a feature you have been waiting for – has been the subject of ongoing work for a while.

As of today, I feel that it is ready to be used by the world at large. So here it is, the first public Snapshot of the Vivaldi browser with Sync enabled.

We need your feedback
This Snapshot is meant to let all of you who use our Snapshot version test Sync. Although I am fairly confident that it all should work well at this point, it is important to keep in mind this service is actually pretty complex.

Aside from the work done in the Vivaldi browser itself, Sync involves a lot of infrastructure from our side. Because of this, I will pay close attention to any feedback you might have. The decision to bring this functionality to our next final release will be made based on your feedback and the stability of our infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom