Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Caporegime
I have not had Flash installed for over a year. Only sites that are not worth visiting use Flash still anyway.

For anyone wanting to increase the new tab "Top Sites" grid from the paltry 12 (old Firefox had more), hit up About:Config and adjust the value in

Code:
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesCount

Thanks for this, i knew i had some missing, got em all back now :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Only problem is you can't drag and drop them like you used to be able to for organising them!

I wonder if there's a way to manage them properly...

Soldato
I got this yesterday, switched over to the esr version (still gets security updates), just delaying the inevitable I guess, but no classic theme restorer, no deal. Should just give an option for the classic look. Hate the new look, hated the look before this as well.

A few people actually miss the Australis theme and managed to remake it. There's an ongoing thread on /r/FirefoxCSS in recreating the classic theme: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/7d5q8s/originally_wanted_to_ask_about_simply_bringing/

or1EafVl.png.jpg

Only problem is you can't drag and drop them like you used to be able to for organising them!

I wonder if there's a way to manage them properly...

Yeah it's really bugging me that I can't reorganise them. It's also the same on the Android version and even more of a mess, there are some sites that I can't seem to remove/dismiss without deleting my entire history.

Associate
It's definitely faster but I have moved over to ESR until more extensions have been ported. Otherwise might as well just use Chrome ..

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There's a theme called Android Flat which I really like the look of. Suits it I think, and I like the flat design as an Android user :cool:

FirefoxQuantom_AndroidFlatTheme.JPG

Soldato
I've actually installed the flash plug-in. There are still a lot of websites using flash. And the likes of Microsoft are still pushing it to Windows 10 and Chrome still has it bundled so it's not dead just yet.

Soldato
Well that's just great. Firefox updated to Quantum without my permission, and has wiped out my group tabs (no longer supported).

There doesn't seem to be a replacement (unless anyone can point me to one).

Is there another browser that supports group tabs that's any good?

So annoying,

Soldato
Soldato
Test running the developer edition at work + home. Quite happy at the moment. Although the spell check isnt working.

I expect Chrome to come out with some sort of update soon.

Associate
My firefox upgraded itself and the new version is working fine for me, no problems so far. Just the new layout and colours I dont like much though.

Soldato
Is thunderbird similarly being updated to only accept web extensions ? I have not researched this.
that is predominately where I use the spell checker, it would be good if the email(local folder/ssd) search could be faster too

Soldato
Is thunderbird similarly being updated to only accept web extensions ? I have not researched this.
that is predominately where I use the spell checker, it would be good if the email(local folder/ssd) search could be faster too

Last time I heard, Thunderbird will be diverging from Firefox so no signs of Quantum/Web Extensions for it. It may even end up not being based on Gecko in the future:

The Thunderbird Council is optimistic about the future. With the organizational question settled, we can focus on the technical challenges ahead. Thunderbird will remain a Gecko-based application at least in the midterm, but many of the technologies Thunderbird relies upon in that platform will one day no longer be supported. The long term plan is to migrate our code to web technologies, but this will take time, staff, and planning. We are looking for highly skilled volunteer developers who can help us with this endeavor, to make sure the world continues to have a high-performance open-source secure email client it can rely upon.

Back
Top Bottom