Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
So what add ons are people using to deal with pop ups which don't get caught by ublock or the built in blocker. The one I used to use is no longer supported and it's likely it won't be updated either.

Man of Honour
This is annoying me now - I've had new tab open to google since forever - now updated to Quantum and seems there is no easy way to get that functionality back :( really shouldn't need to use an extension to do that.

The change to the way tabs are rendered is meh as well - even the light scheme doesn't blend as well with the overall UI.

EDIT: Weird googling it says browser.newtab.url hasn't been supported since 41 but I've been displaying google as a new tab all the way up until version 56 without using any extension to do that.

Soldato
This is annoying me now - I've had new tab open to google since forever - now updated to Quantum and seems there is no easy way to get that functionality back :( really shouldn't need to use an extension to do that.

The change to the way tabs are rendered is meh as well - even the light scheme doesn't blend as well with the overall UI.

EDIT: Weird googling it says browser.newtab.url hasn't been supported since 41 but I've been displaying google as a new tab all the way up until version 56 without using any extension to do that.

I use the black theme as it seems to fit with the windows 10 dark theme.

Man of Honour
I'm using Windows 7 with a dark glass style theme - neither black or light theme suits it - previously Firefox just inherited the OS style and fitted perfectly.

Soldato
I'm personally very happy to be back using FF after a few years as a Chrome user. But I will say for people who are non techy Chrome is better as it just 'works' out the box. Things like spell checker, flash etc all integrated.

Most non techies I know are bored easy by tech so making it something they don't have to think about is a good thing.

Soldato
Does everyone view pdf's inside FF ? the inbuilt (does not seem to be a plugin) on earlier ff's loads pages on demand, and I have found that with say a >30page document if you jump around in the document it takes a while to get it from the source site, and can even cause ff to 'lock up',
so I try to remember to download the complete doc and view with PDF-Xchange, in my case.

Soldato
Does everyone view pdf's inside FF ? the inbuilt (does not seem to be a plugin) on earlier ff's loads pages on demand, and I have found that with say a >30page document if you jump around in the document it takes a while to get it from the source site, and can even cause ff to 'lock up',
so I try to remember to download the complete doc and view with PDF-Xchange, in my case.

I use Foxit.

Soldato

Middle mouse button on the Home button = new tab @ homepage.

I've used that since forever. Don't even touch the actual tab button.

Soldato
is Foxit still available as a web ext plugin, as opposed to an external app ? firefox add-ons site does not seem to list it

I use pdf-Xchanges as an external reader, but there are times when a browser embed, that will pre-load entire document, and not take-out the browser if it has an issue, would be nice.
(pdf-xchange will save/re-load docs when you shut it down, and also allows you to annotate comments - which is great at work)

Soldato
Hmmm....odd. My Lloyds online banking won't load/show the statement transactions on the new Quantum, but it does work on another similar platform (Bank of Scotlands online banking)

But it's not Lloyds as it's working as usual on Chrome

Edit : Nvm - I just nuked the history/cache of Quantum and it's working ok now

Last edited:
Soldato
Noscript is officially out now with Quantum support for the people waiting for it.

I've been having a 'cold boot' issue occasionally lately where I open FF but it doesn't open and the task hangs, once killed it works fine again for the remainder of the day.

Permabanned
Noscript was the last one I was waiting for, now I'm all set. But it's less functional than before, hopefully they'll sort that.

Soldato
.. had already checked that - very minimal, or is there something else you are aware of ?

Unfortunately some APIs have been deferred by the Firefox team to 58.
NoScript will be released as a WebExtension for Firefox 57 with all the major functionalities but some limitations (mostly related to features used by the Tor Browser, which require the still missing APIs), while feature parity with "legacy" NoScript will be guaranteed only when the Tor Browser gets its next major upgrade, i.e. in March 2018 when it will be based on Firefox 59.

Permabanned
Probably came across like I was trying to sound like an expert in that post, sorry.

Mainly, it'll no longer stop some pop-ups on a few sites I can't mention on this forum, and I dislike the UI. Nothing serious.

Edit: When I made that previous post, the "temporarily allow" also somehow didn't work, but a reinstall sorted it.

Back
Top Bottom