Update: My Mother

Associate
Some people here might remember I posted about 3 weeks ago about my mother being rushed into hospital, anyway she is still in now, she had pneumonia that infected her blood stream, that spread to the bladder and the gall bladder, the gall bladder leaked onto the liver that caused abscess on the liver.

She has had about five different antibiotics, things where getting better until three days ago, she had a migraine that left her blind in both eyes, well last night she had seizures, so they did a brain scan today that came up clear.

They said her potassium was to high, so they have moved her to a high dependency ward, things have seemed to have calmed down now with levels dropping.

Will keep you updated.

SJ

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Thoughts are still with you and her chap. Hope she gets well soon.

Is her eyesight likely to return?

Man of Honour
Is the blindness permanent?

If it is actually caused by a migraine and nothing else then its not permanent - complete blindness from it is rare but not unheard of and generally lasts less than 48 hours tops - usually only a couple of hours. I get classic migraines with visual disturbances but don't go completely blind just lose the ability to focus on anything in the center of my eyes and it hurts a lot to look at anything. Migraines are often caused I think by chemical imbalances so the chances are in a bad case they could be triggered at frequent intervals not giving the eyes proper chance to recover between bouts - prolonged this could cause real damage.

Last edited:
Soldato
lad to hear there's *some* impreovement, just hope it doesn't take another nosedive mate

hope you get some sort of result from all this, best wishes to you and your family

Man of Honour
I wish you mum best of luck... even everything else aside I wouldn't wish migraines on my worst enemy.

EDIT: Oh and don't get too alarmed if she seems in bad way for the short term - a relatively mild migraine can really wipe you out and leave you feeling battered and bruised for 24 hours - so something bad enough to cause that level of blindness will probably wipe most people out for atleast 72 hours.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, best of luck to your mum and the rest of your family.

I know from experience the kind of thing your going through and it's not easy.

Hope it turns out okay in the end.

Associate
OP
Yeah, she can now see through one eye so that's something, she has been on a ward that another patient had C'Diff, and because of all the antibiotics she has had it's wiped out all her immune system, and being over 65 she is in the high category for catching it, so hopefully being moved to the HDU will give her a better chance.

Soldato
I hope she gets better soon, I remember when I was younger my mum was in hospital for a couple of months and it was terrible, especially dads cooking! :/

Back
Top Bottom