Updated iMac to El Capitan, now have black screen

Soldato
For reasons which I still don't fully understand, I felt a sudden urge to update my old iMac to a newer version of OS X, so yesterday found me sticking El Capitan on it and up until I switched it off, all was well.

Today however, I am greeted by what, according to the internet, appears to be a familiar problem - a completely black screen. The iMac 'chimes' on startup, the HDD is clicking away merrily, the keyboard allows me to engage Caps Lock but the screen is black - or to be more accurate, blank. There's nothing on it whatsoever.

Any ideas how I can start to troubleshoot this? I've tried resetting PRAM (goes through the motions just fine, but achieves nothing of note), booting into Safe Mode (ditto) and generally shouting at it (satisfying, but unproductive) and yet I'm still here, staring at a black screen.

Soldato
Try to login blind. If you can the black screen should be fixed. If you have another mac you can use screen share to see where you should be typing if you have screen share enabled. If not keep clicking where you think the box should be and type your password. Eventually you should get in.

Soldato
OP
Just in case anyone was having sleepless nights over this... turned out to be sheer rotten bad luck and the GPU had gone pop. Had to make a decision between replacing it and finding something to replace the iMac with and have ended up going down the route of the latter - just need to find a Mac Mini with the right specs!

Back
Top Bottom