1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating the "Useful Links" thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by robmiller, 9 May 2006.

1. robmiller

Capodecina

The "Useful Links" thread started by Spie has been stickied for a while, but it's pretty low on content. So, I thought we could have a thread where we can contribute useful links and - if a passing Don wouldn't mind - they can be copied into the sticky or if preferred this can be stickied and I'll maintain the list.

Here are some of my favourites; for the sake of clarity, I've not repeated ones already mentioned in the sticky. Here goes:

News
    • *Google News - aggregates news from a massive variety of sources so you don't need to check anywhere else.

*Blogs
    • Becker-Posner - world-renowned economists Gary Becker and Richard Posner post their commentary on economic, political and judicial matters. Fantastic reading, especially considering Posner's position as justice on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in the US and Becker's as a Nobel prize-winner.
    • Daily Kos - stunningly up-to-date political commentary from the left of the US political spectrum.
    • Democracy Arsenal - commentary on US foreign policy from a group of US progressives. Very, very good articles from a fantastic bunch of people.
    • Samizdata - cynical, British libertarian commentary on a variety of issues.
    • Flogging the Simian - commentary on US domestic and foreign policy (though leaning more towards the latter) from a US ex-pat now living in Romania. Very thorough in its research, this site has uncovered loads of things that the mainstream media has ignored and frequently discusses issues you'll never have heard of but that are of vital importance.

General Reference
    • *Answers.com - aggregating its content from a huge variety of sources including Wikipedia, Answers is usually my first stop when I'm looking at a new topic.

Politics
    • Parliament - the official website of the Houses of Parliament containing loads of information about the political process in Britain.
    • C-SPAN's Prime Minister's Questions - video recordings of recent PMQs; watch democracy happen and chomp popcorn as Tony squirms.

Philosophy
    • Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - an absolutely massive range of articles on all aspects of philosophy. Some of them are a little advanced and dry, but it's chock full of information.
    • The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - whilst not as comprehensive as the Stanford Encyclopedia, I often find that the UTM Encyclopedia has better background information on philosophers themselves.
    • The Galilean Library - a wealth of articles including some fantastic introductions to philosophical concepts.

Religion

Argument/Debate
    • Fallacy Files - avoid fallacious and thus invalid arguments with this handy list of logical fallacies.

Spelling/Grammar

Sources marked * are non-authoritative and thus are not the be-all and end-all of a debate; don't presume something to be a truism because it's posted on Wikipedia, for example. However, they are for the most part trustworthy and have been included because they are either unmatched in their sheer wealth of information (particularly in the case of Wikipedia) or because they provided openly biased yet useful commentary (particularly in the case of the blog section).

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  2. anarchist

PermaBanned

Given that Google were happy to censor content for China, how confident are you that, because it's an American company after all, the filtering on google news is totally unbiased?

3. robmiller

Capodecina

It links to (AFAIK) every news outlet it can find that has an article on a topic (therefore there is no selection and therefore no bias) and does not write its own articles, so where in the system can bias be introduced - and most importantly to what ends would it be introduced? :confused:

4. Rich_L

Capodecina

Because it's an American company, duh :rolleyes: Everyone know that ALL American companies are bad, m'kay?

Good idea though, I think all those links would go fine, I can't think of any others at this time but I'll have a look through my bookmarks and any sites I come across :)

5. @if ®afiq

Soldato

I don't think that is what Anarchist meant. If Google is so willing to censor it's services for the Chinese, what would stop it doing the same for the rest of us?

Nothing about being American, more about the ethics of the organisation.

6. robmiller

Capodecina

Google have an exemplary ethics record, though (see their unwillingness to hand over personal data to the US Government).

It strikes me as stupendously ignorant to think that the selection of news stories is a big thing to be concerned about in terms of bias, yet not question the bias of individual story writers - even for massive outlets like the BBC, CNN and others. Google News (and other aggregators like Yahoo! News) actively fight this bias by presenting a massive spectrum of viewpoints.

7. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Care to suggest a single news agency that isn't biased?

With regards to the links, too left-wing and too specific. It might also be of use to include some popular defintions with the hope that people might read up on popularly misconcieved concepts...

8. anarchist

PermaBanned

I do question the BBC bias and have written a number of posts on here about it.

Except in China where the prospect of making lots of money completely destroyed that principle.

9. anarchist

PermaBanned

No news agency is 100% accurate obviously, or 100% unbiased.

My objection was robmiller saying, about google news, "you don't need to check anywhere else", because I don't think it's healthy telling people to trust one source (albeit an aggregated source admittedly). Especially with google's record in China.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

All corporations, American or otherwise, exist to make a profit. End of. Can you not see the slight flaw in trusting them to be totally honest with us? It would be "stupendously ignorant" in fact ;)

Last edited: 10 May 2006
  11. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I agree. Also, I dont think that there is any way of finding political news that isn't biased. Even the best journalists I have read are biased, all the famous journos quoted on here are biased - their only saving grace are that some are entertaining.

12. Rich_L

Capodecina

All organisations need to justify their existence, all people attempt to justify their employment/existence. Who can you trust? :p

A profit-making entity does not automatically equal dishonesty, just as a non-profit-making entity does not automaticaly equal honesty - to assume an item is flawed automatically because of its source is a flawed assumption, the source should of course be one of the factors borne in mind when assessing the truth of an item but does not discount the veracity of an item entirely.

13. anarchist

PermaBanned

True, but who would you trust more, somebody who is trying to extract money from you or somebody who wasn't? ;)

14. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

the concept of justifying something suggests that the original concept is in question... 'justifying the existence' is a term of phrase that questions usefulness and alleigence to a group which the hold the 'justifying' entity in judgement.

15. Rich_L

Capodecina

If the person was honest about wanting to extract money, versus the person who wasn't but hid their intentions of personal gain by other means then the distinctions become much less clear.
    Er, yes, I think? :p Not sure whether you are arguing with me or just providing an explanation of the term for the benefit of the thread-readers ?:p

16. ritcH

Gangster

Thanks for the Stanford philosophy link I have an immanent Philosophy of Mind exam and was trying to remember the American university which ran that database. It will save me spending money on books! Praise Allah for the internet.

Sorry to disrupt the "debate" continue, my popcorn's only half empty.

17. Meridian

Man of Honour

ALL news is biased, which is why you need to read up in different places.

M

18. robmiller

Capodecina

It's not a single source it's loads of sources that's the whole point of me saying it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :mad:

Well this was a delightful waste of time!

19. robmiller

Capodecina

Add your own then for god's sake. I tried to contribute some interesting and useful links and all you can say is that they're too left-wing and "too specific" (as if that's supposed to be a bad thing)?

20. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I dont surf political sites often, i am more of a human interest man - which is why I have nudged www.dailyrotten.com in your direction more than once in the last week...

Also, while we are engaging in dialogue - please stick your nose in my Communitarianism thread below - it seems to have gone ignored and I hope that of all people I would find yourself posting in there...