1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating to genuine Windows

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Jay1986, 20 Sep 2006.

1. Jay1986

Associate

I have at the moment got a non-genuine version of windows installed on my pc. I have just purcahsed a genuine cd and cd key from overclockers and want to know how to change my system to genuine. Will I have to reinstall the whole os or can I update it without doing that? Thanks.

2. Steve09

Mobster

Best thing to do is back up any data you want to keep like Music + Photo's then completely wipe you Hard Drive.

Then Install Windows from the CD :)

3. MAREKB

Associate

4. Flying_V

Gangster

5. Ozymandias

Hitman

Will either of the solutions convert a XP VLK install to XP retail install ?

Last edited: 20 Sep 2006
  6. Flying_V

Gangster

I can't see why not, the keys are the same in principle and i'm sure lots of dodgy keys are corporate ones that got leaked. Try it but read the disclaimer on backing up your data.

7. Ozymandias

Hitman

afiak the keys are not interchangeable due to the validation mechanism in the releases.

8. russ9898

Wise Guy

try googling magic jelly bean keyfinder. dont think this breaks ocuk rules but i appologise if it does.

will allow you to change your key as long as its still same version of windows eg home > home or pro > pro