Upgrade advice 3700X cpu / 1080Ti gfx

Associate
Hi,

Been waiting a while to upgrade the above.
What are my best options, should I upgrade one or both now.....or wait until the new GFX cards are out later in the year?

I game at 3440 x 1440 on a 34 inch UW monitor (120hz)

Play mainly Bf2042.

Thanks

Man of Honour
I was meaning once I upgrade the 1080Ti, as I expect the 3700X to be a bottleneck with a newer card?

From those 1440p/4K benches, I think the answer is... maybe? It would depend on the card, your expectations, the games and the resolution/detail level used. In some games the difference would be marginal, but in other games it'll be a decent boost to your average/min FPS.

Personally, I'd be inclined to buy the card first and just try it, since there will be a lot of new stuff (CPUs and GPUs) out by the end of the year.

Associate
I had the same 3700x and 1080 Ti at that resolution, and the jump to a 3080 was insane, double frames in some titles. Definitely upgrade the GPU first, as that CPU is rarely the bottleneck at this resolution.

I'm not expecting availability to be good on new cards though, so whether that means buying a card now or waiting for next gen is another matter.

Soldato
Will the new cards be out around September?
A bit of a wait, but my trusty 1080Ti is coping ok for now.
Based on current reports you'll likely need to budget in a new psu.... the 4000 series seems like they're going to be power hungry, actually you might need it with a 3000 series too, 650w is a little on the low side.

Nvidia has an event may 23rd which might let us know more to help you decide.

I'm in the same boat, I want to grab a new gpu (and psu) but waiting on 23rd for info before deciding if I grab a 3000 series or wait for the 4000 series and hope we don't have scalper issues.

Back
Top Bottom