Upgrade advice and new build

Associate
So My current pc has an issue and I need a quick fix along with building another pc the same time,

Currently either the mobo or cpu is broken would be nice if I could upgrade with something that could rule out weather its the mobo or cpu thats not working.. current setup is...

Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz Socket 1150
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 Socket 1150
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz

I was thinking if there is a build I could do that is going to be fast but then the mobo would also take the i7 I currently have I could at-least work out the issue.

Thanks

Associate
If you describe the issue you have been having then maybe someone here could help out if they have had a similar problem. It would save you from having to buy 4th Gen parts and let you put that money towards the latest components.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply, basically started of not booting but clicking, when left unplugged for a while it was booting for a few seconds then switching off, then it started clicking continuously tring to start then start then start but switching of straight away, sounded like the power supply.

Now there no red light on the start button, no numbers on the error displays but the red light on the graphic and the line on the mobo is on, wont click or even respond now. thanks in advance...

Im thinking to maybe upgrade with order this....

asus maximus viii and then a i7 8700k would my original ram work and rest of things be ok ? thanks in advance

Ideally dont want to upgrade but Im needing a fast fix atm

Man of Honour
What are the rest of the components including make and model of psu?

Still didn't answer the above. We can't give advice on fixes if we don't have all the information. That sounds like a psu problem so have you replaced the psu? If so from what are the makes and models of both (original and replacement)?

You would also need DDR4 as well if sidegrading to a 8700k and then realise you have only got a small performance increase for the massive amount of money you have spent.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, just trying another psu now.

Original is coursair rm750

Would you be able to advise a different kind of upgrade please if it is the pcu or mobo the only reason I was looking at that was because my processor atm is discontinued :( and that was the next processor I found better than the one I already have. Thanks

Man of Honour
The thing is that it's not massively better than the 4790k that you already have which is why I will be keeping hold of mine for quite some time yet. To upgrade you would need a new motherboard, cpu and DDR4 which is a huge outlay for such a small performance gain.

Associate
OP
Yes I understand this, is there another way to work out weather its pcu or mobo? What happened to the old days with a nice beep.

Soldato
As mentioned above are any of the LED's flashing ? This pic from the manual shows where they are located.

2q1cqb7.jpg

Any chance your board is still under warranty ? Might be a long shot but you get 3 years so maybe a slim chance.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help guys...

Problem was faulty MOBO.... Thanks ASUS :(

Sadly it was 3 year warranty that ended half a year ago. Never even over clocked it :(

Got it running on a cheap £45 a local shop had on the shelf.
Not sure weather to get a tidy mobo for it and if so weather or not to go for the same brand hmmmmm. Put a taint on my appreciation for ASUS :(

After todays events I shall also be trying to built another system roughly same spec maybe.

Soldato
Thanks for the help guys...

Problem was faulty MOBO.... Thanks ASUS :(

Sadly it was 3 year warranty that ended half a year ago. Never even over clocked it :(

Got it running on a cheap £45 a local shop had on the shelf.
Not sure weather to get a tidy mobo for it and if so weather or not to go for the same brand hmmmmm. Put a taint on my appreciation for ASUS :(

After todays events I shall also be trying to built another system roughly same spec maybe.

If it is 6 months out of warranty then not a lot you can do to force their hand. You could try the sympathy email i.e I always buy Asus products etc and is there any chance you could repair the board for me? It might work and might not, but worth a try if it saves you from buying a new system ?

Do you know what the fault was with it ?

Back
Top Bottom