Upgrade advice for Photoshop/3D, - best bang for buck

Associate
I don't know why but as 3Ds max and photoshop get updated every year they seem to become more and more laggy and slow for my computer even through not much has been added to the software, is it just being badly optimized for older genenration PCs?

I also get annoying lag when working on high resolution in PS like 4096x4096 or larger, (guessing 16 gb ram isn't enough)

My current specs now:
  • Evga Supernova 750w G2 gold power supply.
  • 16GB DDR3 Ram (4x4gb)
  • Samsung evo 850 500gb SSD.
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard.
  • Intel i5-2500k 3.3 ghz CPU (oc to 3.7ghz)
  • MSI geforce gtx 770 graphics card.
Gaming: Occasionally, but I don't mind putting graphic settings lower.

Is this spec worth upgrading? or should I wait it out a little longer?

I prefer value / best bang for buck build im guessing I'd only need to upgrade: cpu, motherboard, and ram?

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
why don't you load up a project and see how much ram it's using?
if you're going to upgrade, then at least make it an all-round decent upgrade :p

Usually PS project about 2gbs of the ram, pc usually running about 7gb ofs ram, I always assumed resolution was slow due to ram as I read long ago that ram is most important for resolution size, I guess it comes back to CPU then.

Man of Honour
Usually PS project about 2gbs of the ram, pc usually running about 7gb ofs ram, I always assumed resolution was slow due to ram as I read long ago that ram is most important for resolution size, I guess it comes back to CPU then.

you answered your own question then...16gb is fine.
also...
Intel i5-2500k 3.3 ghz CPU (oc to 3.7ghz)

i5 2500k can (usually) overclock to 4.7-4.8ghz (5.0+ with a golden chip) with adequate cooling...why don't you try this first instead of (potentially) needlessly shelling out for new parts
that's an extra 20-25% untapped performance...

Soldato
Key bit, the Last item. The GPU . Back in the day using 3DS Max I threw in the best GPU I could afford. Got the CPU with more cores but not always the fastest .
I did games design so ranged from making scenes , to weighted/scripted models or full blown Cut scenes and each taxed the system in different ways

Depends on what your doing within 3DS Max.. if your doing fluids, heavy particle effects, high polygon models or using textures that aren't baked etc etc you'll need slightly different things .
If your rendering ... Would be chucking a 1080ti at the thing and keeping your current set up

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £785.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Card is a lot more powerful then your current along with the vram!​

Back
Top Bottom