Upgrade advice - Forty something mourning loss of i7 Nehalem

Soldato
I need help please.
I last fully upgraded in 2009, this setup I have has taken everything I've thrown at it, got 3.7Ghz on air out of this thing but now the BIOS won't save time no matter how many batteries I try, or BIOS versions or anything really. In it's life I've upgraded GFX, SSD and then memory to this spec:

- Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
- Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming Edition OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB SATA III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
- Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
- Lian-Li PC-A70B Aluminium Tower Case
- Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 750W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply
- Crucial 12GB DDR3 1866Mhz Ballistix Tactical

I need something new and given what the i7 has done in the past I want to go there again. I've no idea if that's a stupid move?
Could someone please spec me a tower that could game at 1920x1080, some ableton (music creation app) and can plug into dual Benq monitors with D-Sub or DVI or HDMI, connections?
Price range, well not that threadripper stuff, something that would last a few years ideally please.

I say tower any sort of height will do but has to have tower width.
I'm so far gone from knowing what's what, two young kids I just don't have the time.
I'd like to keep the SSD and the WD, the rest can go. Do folks still need this sort of tech on MM?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Soldato
I'm starting to feel your pain of two kids ! Haha

If you could land is a numbered budget, forum peeps should be able to help. F your just after gaming , Intel 8th gen is solid, after value for money is Ryzen :)

Soldato
With only 150GB capacity that Velociraptor isn't really usefull by any standard.
Except for seek times even 5400rpm drives would be likely lot faster because of huge amount higher data density on platters.

But that Lian Li case would be still usable.
With nearly everything made of metal there just isn't much of parts which could "rot" in it.
This would give it USB3 ports:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian...dia-and-usb3.0-i-o-panel-black-ca-602-ll.html
(unless you upgraded top panel to newer case model with bigger I/O port panel)

thats two of us then, i have same problem 2 liitle girls and they are contant messing with tower
If you mean power button being in danger of "unauthorized access" don't know if any current cases have them behind door now that Lian Li moved them to top.

Suspended
This will give best bang for the buck

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £883.54
(includes shipping: £11.70)

You could save £20 by getting that same HDD in 1TB config and of course your postage should be free so reduce by £30 in total for approximately £850. If you want to stick with Intel, I will put one below. Availability may be an issue though

Suspended
Intel build

Total: £1,051.45
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Again, save £30 with 1TB HDD and shipping so a total of £1020. Also, that MB comes with a £20 Steam voucher so total is now £1000 and Gigabyte have strong representation and good RMA support (hopefully you wont need it).

Your choice. Both great systems. IF you want, you can put some money into a few additional case like these

Total: £29.64
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Suspended
you can pick up ryzen 1600 for £136 = £408 for core bundle

Total: £271.48
(includes shipping: £10.50)

No you cant. Click through to the link and it is £190! However, The 3000mhz RAM above is now cheaper than the 3200Mhz one I quoted so I would go with that. These RAM prices are bouncing around so much. The 3000Mhz was cheaper two weeks ago, same price last week and cheaper again this week.

Essentially, the 3000Mhz is about 13% cheaper for 5% less performance.

Soldato
No you cant. Click through to the link and it is £190! However, The 3000mhz RAM above is now cheaper than the 3200Mhz one I quoted so I would go with that. These RAM prices are bouncing around so much. The 3000Mhz was cheaper two weeks ago, same price last week and cheaper again this week.

Essentially, the 3000Mhz is about 13% cheaper for 5% less performance.

damn, was active yesterday :(
***ah Seems amazon Prime only and was yesterday :(
seems another site has run out to=/

also the Aorus 3 is a lovely board to work with!

trying to get the i5 8400 to 4GHZ, easy to set but hard to get it to boot! So far managed 2 cores @4Ghz which i'd say is a win so far lol

kCKX8gH.jpg

Rb2VLWV.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for your help folks, especially noughtboy.
So I've tried to look at reviews of some of the suggestions and I came up with the below. I'll keep the Lian Li case and take the USB panel that EsaT spoke of:

Total: £1,231.07 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

The case spec is here.
Its a full atx case anyone know if the layout of the motherboard would be okay in an older case? Have fastenings moved around much?

Thanks again for the help.

Soldato
Thanks a lot for your help folks, especially noughtboy.
So I've tried to look at reviews of some of the suggestions and I came up with the below. I'll keep the Lian Li case and take the USB panel that EsaT spoke of:

Total: £1,231.07 (includes shipping: £11.70)

The case spec is here.
Its a full atx case anyone know if the layout of the motherboard would be okay in an older case? Have fastenings moved around much?

Thanks again for the help.

With the PSU, drop it down to 600w , actually 500w would be fine. I'm running bequiet 500w with Ryzen 1600/ Intel 8400 and Vega 56/1080 . They have a calculator on their site too.
Pure ten is higher official rating of Silver to the bronze you've selected but in reviews both units actually run at Gold and Silver rating . Then the Straight Power is a pure dream to work with !
I've got both units in builds and personal systems :D
Also went with their cooler is it's quieter then the Evo .
As a good for thought if your not going to Devil RX580 deal, check out Gigabyte Aorus version. Mainly due to cooler removal and their warranty and customer service. Check out the mother board section and you see Gigabyte rep personally chases RMA for users on here and was going to the extreme of sending staff to deliver a part.. Asus RMA you've got to go through the reseller , but if your with OCUK , should go smoothly

Total: £549.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
If you re-use the SSD and PSU:

Total: £1,304.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

If you wanted to replace the PSU:

Total: £255.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

If you have a high-refresh rate 1080p monitor this build would be a good option. But if you just game at 1080p/60hz, I would go for the Ryzen 1600/RX 580 builds above in prior posts.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom